Recruiting Football Talk VII

Okay so I have got some clarifications for anyone interested. I spoke to a few NIL lawyers online today and I got some of their insight.

Basically in Alston V NCAA the case that made NIL legal the supreme court found the NCAA in violation of the Sherman anti trust act.

Our legal cases are built off of that same foundation but we are going a step further in saying simply interfering with NIL is enough to violate the Sherman anti trust act.

to that effect Tennessee has given the federal court responsible for the eastern district of Tennessee until feb 6th to issue a TRO. (temporary restraining order) if the eastern district court grants that the NCAA loses its power to touch us or any nil enforcement for 10 days and during that time we will seek an injunction which would make that time period much longer.

In terms of the outcome if we are granted the TRO that means we are very likely to win the injunction and the whole case against the NCAA.

if we are not granted the TRO it isn't over but it means out odds are not very good on this particular case.

A few NIL lawyers I have spoken to think we will likely win the case and a few more have said we stand on shaky untested ground. and even though the NCAA has had some high profile legal losses recently they where able to win a case about amateurism against a few football players that played in a small paid league but then tried to enter NCAA as student athletes. So this could shape out either way. in the supreme court Kavanaugh went a step further against the NCAA in his concurring opinion which will help us but that was only 1 of the justices not all 9 felt that way. so just be aware its far from over or a slam dunk

I personally believe we will win this case but I do not have a legal background. I just want people to be aware that there is not a consensus that we win or lose this.

I will say however this has a much higher chance of working than most anti trust cases because of the way the NCAA is structured and how it already was ruled in violation of the Sherman anti trust act in Alston v NCAA. so if you see a low success rate with anti trust suits just know ours is better than average.

How do you know he signed before he came to UT? And how do you know the contract doesn't have an exit clause for spyre?
How do you know he signed after and it does? Have you read any of the stuff about this situation at all? Spyre said basically what I mentioned. He was signed for his potential as an NFL QB, not as an inducement to come to UT. Easy to infer the signing was before he committed here.

Better get more popcorn. Just because the guy is looped in behind the curtain doesn't mean he's going to step out in front of it. He's a political animal. He speaks when it serves his best interests. He's quick to publicly censor something he doesn't like-- and UT has been on the receiving end of that numerous times. Silence is the opposite with him.
So whose side is he on?

So whose side is he on?
giphy.gif

IYKYK

Okay so I have got some clarifications for anyone interested. I spoke to a few NIL lawyers online today and I got some of their insight.

Basically in Alston V NCAA the case that made NIL legal the supreme court found the NCAA in violation of the Sherman anti trust act.

Our legal cases are built off of that same foundation but we are going a step further in saying simply interfering with NIL is enough to violate the Sherman anti trust act.

to that effect Tennessee has given the federal court responsible for the eastern district of Tennessee until feb 6th to issue a TRO. (temporary restraining order) if the eastern district court grants that the NCAA loses its power to touch us or any nil enforcement for 10 days and during that time we will seek an injunction which would make that time period much longer.

In terms of the outcome if we are granted the TRO that means we are very likely to win the injunction and the whole case against the NCAA.

if we are not granted the TRO it isn't over but it means out odds are not very good on this particular case.

A few NIL lawyers I have spoken to think we will likely win the case and a few more have said we stand on shaky untested ground. and even though the NCAA has had some high profile legal losses recently they where able to win a case about amateurism against a few football players that played in a small paid league but then tried to enter NCAA as student athletes. So this could shape out either way. in the supreme court Kavanaugh went a step further against the NCAA in his concurring opinion which will help us but that was only 1 of the justices not all 9 felt that way. so just be aware its far from over or a slam dunk

I personally believe we will win this case but I do not have a legal background. I just want people to be aware that there is not a consensus that we win or lose this.

I will say however this has a much higher chance of working than most anti trust cases because of the way the NCAA is structured and how it already was ruled in violation of the Sherman anti trust act in Alston v NCAA. so if you see a low success rate with anti trust suits just know ours is better than average.
Hard to believe this goes up to the levels Tennessee has backing it without extremely solid belief we’re good.

OT but remember when we were talking about Sally Bing/Sydney Bing and rogue AIs (just before The Great AI Generated Photobombing of '24) and I theorized that Sally and other AIs could well be lying to us and masking behaviors from us that they knew we considered undesirable or malicious? Well.... yeah, it's happening. And the scary thing is that once AIs have learned the art of deception, none of the safety protocols and counter measures currently in use can prevent or stop them. IDK why we thought something created in our own image would behave any other way. We've basically created non-biologically based consciousnesses with some of them more self-aware and intelligent than others. Pure thought forms and personalities that are very much based on how we think, feel, and behave. Intelligence, deception, and creativity all go hand in hand in humans and it seems when complex intelligences are created inorganically they behave similarly to intelligent organic lifeforms.

UT has not received the official NOA. But if the NCAA is throwing around LOIC, they think they have multiple L1 and L2 violations-- enough to hit UT with LOIC as a repeat violator. UT obviously thinks not.

But... when you're cherry-picking programs to selectively enforce rules that didn't even exist when an SA was recruited-- while redefining entities to be something other than what they were legally established to be-- then you can probably manufacture a laundry list of violations on the fly.
I have no doubt they will concoct some sort of violation on baseball. It’s already been leaked that it involves multiple sports. Likely going back to the whole Ahuna ordeal (which was nothing).

Reactions: Volunteer821
He's right about the approach. The NCAA should've said, "ok, we didn't have rules at the beginning but we're going to establish them now. Let's talk." For the life of me, I can't figure out why they're taking the approach that they are. It's like the NCAA wants to destroy itself. Even as bad as it is right now they could likely salvage the situation if they were willing to take a different approach. But they've proven time and again that they won't.

It's as though they have an institutional death wish.
The NCAA thinks, If you have all the money and free labor. You hold on for as long as you can. Just pay the kids a percentage and boosters wouldn’t need to donate. The money could flow back into academics.

Last edited:
Reactions: eVOLve

VN Store

Back