Recruiting Football Talk VII

I'm agreeing with you, Jersey retiring is for a full body of work not just an epic one season and gone.
If we win the tournament and he does what he did last night to get us there. Retire his number in every sport and like it. That kind of performance would be talked about for generations.

And he had to sit on the bench for a while because of fouls-- ZZ did alright after being off in the first half, and Awaka/Aidoo team are very good.
I hope we play that lineup with Aidoo/Awaka a lot come tourney time. Need to have that lineup in the game for last 6 mins or so every game, if possible. It’s lethal on both ends of the court.

I hope we play that lineup with Aidoo/Awaka a lot come tourney time. Need to have that lineup in the game for last 6 mins or so every game, if possible. It’s lethal on both ends of the court.
Barnes looks like he is definitely onto that. Especially when we have to go against talented bigs.

IMO the right coach would absolutely be an insta-fix. If Heupel can win 11 games year 2 in football, the right coach could come in and be highly competitive in women’s basketball by year 2, if not year one. Much easier to flip a basketball team. The longer they wait, the more the Lady Vols name loses its luster.

And the program would make more money if it’s winning at a high level again.

Question is how important is it to the administration to win at a high level in women’s basketball. Doesn’t seem like it’s very important, and it’s a shame to treat coach Summit’s legacy like that.

It has floundered too long already. Imo
One thing I think a lot of people neglect to consider is that WBB has gotten a lot more competitive in the past 10-20 years. When Tennessee and UCONN were totally dominant, WBB was not nearly as competitive or popular. Even Pat wouldn't be Pat today. Pat paved the way for what is happening today. She made WBB relevant showed the way. She would still be great today but not the only show in town, she would have to battle her own success.

No he is not
My opinion….I have always thought (and still do) Bernard was at the top of UT basketball. I say that because both Bernard and Dalton can literally take games over and score at will. Unbelievable competitiors. Bernard was drafted number 7 and Kelton should be a top 10 pick despite the international enfluence. Bernard had another All-American (Ernie) taht Dalton does not have.

Both are great players. In my opinion, Both deserve to be mentioned as one of the best UT basketball players.

Last edited:
How long til someone says "I wish Pearl was still here" tonight?
He is obnoxious, couldn't stand him when he was here. When he was shirtless in the student section I was out. Pearl made it hard for me to root for the basketball team just like that punk Kiffin made it hard for me to root for the football team, and that's saying something. They were not Tennessee.
TV interacts with students but he does it with class.

My opinion….I have always thought (and still do) Bernard was at the top of UT basketball. I say that because both Bernard and Kelton can literally take games over and score at will. Unbelievable competitiors. Bernard was drafted number 7 and Kelton should be a top 10 pick despite the international enfluence. Bernard had another All-American (Ernie) taht Dalton does not have.

Both are great players. In my opinion, Both deserve to be mentioned as one of the best UT basketball players.
Who’s Kelton?

The remarkable thing about this team is we can go double-bigs or small and be successful! JJJ can guard most 5's at least for a little while and Mashack can guard most 4's for a little while. We can create match-up problems for different teams in different ways and still keep enough scorers in the game to be effective.

The remarkable thing about this team is we can go double-bigs or small and be successful! JJJ can guard most 5's at least for a little while and Mashack can guard most 4's for a little while. We can create match-up problems for different teams in different ways and still keep enough scorers in the game to be effective.
They have been up and down offensively, but JJJ and Vescovi have both adapted to the team needs to do the dirty work of defense, rebounding, loose balls and passing. JJJ has been a hoss under the boards all season. People forget he was recruited as a G and possible PG. VFLs.

They have been up and down offensively, but JJJ and Vescovi have both adapted to the team needs to do the dirty work of defense, rebounding, loose balls and passing. JJJ has been a hoss under the boards all season. People forget he was recruited as a G and possible PG. VFLs.

Interestingly, when Gainey is "off" like last night, I think JJJ is our best back-up point guard. When we go big and aren't playing a pressing team, I almost wish Barnes would put JJJ at point. Gives you three exceptional rebounders and gives ZZ rest without having to rely on a cold Gainey who starts pressing when his shot isn't going down.

If I’m Greg Popovich I’m thinking real hard about pairing Knecht with Wemby. Regardless the draft slot, Knecht is a silky smooth high level scorer. It’s like watching Carmelo Anthony his one year at Syracuse.
I said the same thing, reminds me of Melo. I can't remember how Syracuse ended up doing that year...

If we win the tournament and he does what he did last night to get us there. Retire his number in every sport and like it. That kind of performance would be talked about for generations.

This is the most hype our basketball program has seen since Scotty hopson and jarnell stokes…I could see something being done for him..but I’ve been curious about who the heck fell asleep on the scouting tape…why did we not recruit him here🤔 I’d love to hear that back story…maybe he was too small coming out of high school or something ?

VN Store

Back