Recruiting Football Talk VII

Remember:
Butch Jones and Lane Kiffin were popular hires. Scott Frost was the crowned savior at Nebraska.
Jimbo Fisher was a home run for A&M.
Dave Serrano was a hugely popular hire.

Leipold was a nobody winning D3 national titles before Buffalo. Oats was seen as an easy cop-out hire who was a high school math teacher just 2 years prior at Buffalo. Heupel was viewed as White failing and bringing his boy with him from UCF.

Being popular or unpopular to the fanbase has no precedent. It's not a predictor of success. We, as armchair AD's, have no idea if Caldwell is the worst hire in major UT sports history (though I find it extremely unlikely) or if she's going to have us playing in a Final Four in the next 5 years before going on a legendary career continuing to average >.800 record.

I do know Danny White comes from a basketball family. He knows the game. He knows it when he sees a coach who has "it."

Let her cook.
Well said and very accurate.

Remember:
Butch Jones and Lane Kiffin were popular hires. Scott Frost was the crowned savior at Nebraska.
Jimbo Fisher was a home run for A&M.
Dave Serrano was a hugely popular hire.

Leipold was a nobody winning D3 national titles before Buffalo. Oats was seen as an easy cop-out hire who was a high school math teacher just 2 years prior at Buffalo. Heupel was viewed as White failing and bringing his boy with him from UCF.

Being popular or unpopular to the fanbase has no precedent. It's not a predictor of success. We, as armchair AD's, have no idea if Caldwell is the worst hire in major UT sports history (though I find it extremely unlikely) or if she's going to have us playing in a Final Four in the next 5 years before going on a legendary career continuing to average >.800 record.

I do know Danny White comes from a basketball family. He knows the game. He knows it when he sees a coach who has "it."

Let her cook.
I bet 25,000 dollhairs she'll be in the FF in y3

I get it. The issue is, he has not provided that. He just fired a coach for not being able to recruit at an elite level and hired a coach with even less experience in getting the kind of players the LVs need. And she will be forced to recruit out of the portal immediately. So we'll see.
Lack of experience at this level is a concern of mine too. Every year removed from competing for championships you become less relevant. Just like in football kids have to hear about how you used to dominate the sport. With every year, established coaches are less attracted to your program. It was allowed to flounder for too long. Remember when Old Dominion and LA Tech were powerhouses in women's basketball? Yeah, most don't. Of course you knew all of that. 😅

I give DW a little slack because it's not viewed as the job it.used to be. My hope is she's the rising star that she appears to be. (Some of my excitement is simply: its not Kellie 😂)

Last edited:
Lack of experience at this level is a concern of mine too. Every year removed from competing for championships you become less relevant. Just like in football kids have to hear about how you used to dominate the sport. With every year, established coaches are less attracted to.ypur program. It was allowed to flounder for too long. Remember when Old Dominion and LA Tech were powerhouses in women's basketball? Yeah, most don't. Of course you knew all of that. 😅

I give DW a little slack because it's not viewed as the job it.used to be. My hope is she's the rising star that she appears to be. (Some of my excitement is simply: its not Kellie 😂)
Nope! Not how this works! As much moaning and groaning as you did, it’s time for you to put on your cheerleading uniform!

Nope! Not how this works! As much moaning and groaning as you did, it’s time for you to put on your cheerleading uniform!
Oh I am. I think it's about as good a hire he could make given the circumstances. I would be lying though if I didn't have concerns about her lack of experience. I've often said that no program at UT should be the learning ground for coaches. There's a lot.to like about her but experience isn't one of those things.

VN Store

Back