Recruiting Football Talk VII

Jaylen Wright is one of my all-time favorite Vols based on the way he responded to having his winning bowl game touchdown stolen from him as a true freshman. The lying official turned his big first-year highlight into a failure in which he had (allegedly) let down all his teammates and coaches.

I keep a photo on my phone of Jaylen walking off the field that day, absolutely distraught and emotionally devastated, and Mack trying to console him. What Jaylen did next is to work and study until he had turned himself into an absolute beast without losing any of his speed, while perfecting his awareness and technique. Hero status, in my book.
IMG_0986.gif

any of you know anything about honey bees? Man at work says his neighbor has a few hives. He said one of the hives went crazy. If anything gets anywhere near them, they attack. Not just a few bees, but the entire hive attacks. Said his neighbor's dog got attacked and they attacked his neighbor (the beekeeper) while mowing the yard. He explained it like a pissed off yellow jacket attack, but with thousands more honey bees.

He says the guy has had the same hive for a few years and they just suddenly became enraged. He also said it wasn't a one-time attack. They attacked the man and dog one day, then the man again the next day and then again yesterday morning. Apparently the beekeeper is gonna execute the hive.

Any idea why a normally docile hive will flip out like that and attack anything living with 100' of the hive? I kinda wonder if a carpenter bee got into the hive. . . but I dont know if they would even act that way if something like that happened.

I've never really heard of honey bees attacking like killer bees.
it has been documented in nature as grasshoppers turn into locusts, pigs into warthogs, cows into water buffaloes.

Bees do as their Queen does and says. If the Queen is menstruating, or is generally as crazy as most of them. They will freak the **** out.

@SmokinBob We were watching that series on the evolution of the planet and life narrated by Morgan Freeman last night. Idk the name. Anyway when we got to the episode including the post-dinosaur evolution of birds, a deadly hunter took center stage. The owl! Thought about you and one of your signature gifs and took this photo of the screen!

Guys, if you catch an owl gif, keep in mind those things are more deadly than they may look. 😂🦉IMG_0418.jpeg

Last edited:
Makes sense, A&M joined SEC to get away from Texas in the Big 8 at that time.
Because the Longhorns held sway in the Big 12…and had just started their own network. SEC doesn’t let their tails wag them but they do cater to Bama and UGA. Mebbe they see Austin’s Best joining that favored status. It’s a big miscalculation imo. The draw for Texas high school talent to play in the SEC is a nice card.

Yeah, he says the man has kept hives for years and never seen anything like that happen. He asked me because my dad keeps hives. Neither of us have ever seen anything like that happen.

I've had 4-5 bees get after me a time or two, but they weren't even that aggressive. They'd just buzz around my head until I got a few feet away.

What he's describing is like something out of a horror movie. He says it sounds crazy, but he's not exaggerating. If anything, he's downplaying it a little.

He said the man went to the garage to get away from them, about 100' away. Thousands of them chased him and the split second it took to open the garage door, step inside, then close it, 4-500 bees made it into the garage.

It really does sound like something you'd see in a killer bee horror movie.

I think @rikberry31 could be right. I can't think of any other reason they'd be so violent. It sounds liker bee Armageddon.
He's prolly right. I did think of that as a possibility, but don't really know anything much about it, and thought I would rule out more mundane causes first. But your friend has prolly already tried smoke, anyway, unless he saw that this aggressiveness was of a whole other order and magnitude. I'll ask my FIL anyway. He loves to talk about bees, anyway!

Last edited:
BREAKING: No. 1 transfer wide receiver commits to Auburn

Does brother Hugh know something we don't know? The top receiver out of HS and now this guy. Either they have some plan they aren't sharing or these guys aren't watching too much Peyton Thorne film.
Their collective has been pretty active. They weren't giving much for NIL under Harsin because they didn't like him, so they had about $13 million available for NIL as soon as Freeze took over. I think Freeze is selling receivers on the success of some of his receivers at Ole Miss and the collective is overspending to close on them. I bet Freeze is doing everything except talking about their QB situation.

Buddy, sorry but I think you're wrong on these takes.

The defense is the strength of the team. They'll get a LB and maybe an Edge in middle rounds but they have Harold Landry, Jeff Simmons, Arden Key, Rashaad Weaver, and picked up Joseph-Day DL and Kenneth Murray LB. But Key, Landry, and Simmons are big name rushers/DL.

Also, they already have big time WRs. Hopkins is still a Titan and they signed Calvin Ridley. Burks hasn't broke out yet, and the Titans are still interested in grabbing a 2nd or 3rd rd WR but the need to grab a 1st rd WR dropped when they signed Ridley.

They beefed up the OL with Cushenberry at C and guys like Skoronski, Charles, Radunz, Duncan, Brunskill, and Petit-Frere to fill out the G positions and RT. But the Titans don't have a high quality LT option. Joe Alt is a long-term solution and TRUE LT. They drafted Skoronski and Radunz to play LT in the last couple drafts and those guys just don't have the body for it. They're actually Gs.

If they feel comfortable enough to go through this season with a revolving door at LT and/or drafting more of a project in a later round they may trade back, build draft capital, and take a top WR or Brock Bowers later in the 1st.

But most importantly the "fan excitement" argument is a bad one. It's like the criticism for Danny White's hiring methods and people who say a splash hire is better than actually hiring the coach we need to be successful even if its unpopular at the time (Heupel, Caldwell). Winning cures fan support and excitement problems. You want full stadiums at the end of the season more than the beginning.

They're all-in on Will Levis. He's got his problems but he's also proven promising. If they don't draft Joe Alt you run the risk of having to finish the season with Mason Rudolph or worse - Malik Willis.
I'm not convinced they don't take Nabers tonight at #7. In which case Treylon Burks can go ahead and start packing his inhalers.

That's a nasty WR group if it happens. If Bill Callahan can work his magic with the OL, Levis has no excuses not to be a top 15-10 level QB this year.

You made money? I just got some—mostly—cold lemonade and a bologna sandwich
No kidding. Our reward was that we could go hunting on that land a couple times during the season. Wasn't really worth walking the field tossing hay bales on a trailer and then unloading that trailer into a semi-truck trailer floor to ceiling in 90* heat in south GA. Felt like dying...many times.

it has been documented in nature as grasshoppers turn into locusts, pigs into warthogs, cows into water buffaloes.

Bees do as their Queen does and says. If the Queen is menstruating, or is generally as crazy as most of them. They will freak the **** out.
Yeah, but they would do that periodically. An attack like that isn't really a regular thing. Apparently it's somewhat rare. Even when the bees have orders to protect or attack, they don't do it at that scale.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Sounds like they were re-queened with an Africanized queen. If they have been re-queened that queen will produce all the offspring of the hive and they will all be Africanized. Remedy: Find the queen and kill her. The hive will produce an new queen.
The hive will be hot until the present bees die off ( a couple months). I would move it to a remote location.
My dad was a beekeeper….this info is correct. My dad would have to re-queen ocasionally and it works.

He's prolly right. I did think of that as a possibility, but don't really know anything much about it, and thought I would rule out more mundane causes first. But your friend has prolly already tried smoke, anyway, unless he saw that this aggressiveness was of a whole other order and magnitude. I'll ask my FIL anyway. He loves to talk about bees, anyway!
I think he's just a hobbyist beekeeper, but I'm sure he's tried all the notmal stuff to calm them down. He's describing it like the entire hive locks onto it's target and goes into overdrive attack mode.

VN Store

Back