Recruiting Football Talk VII

Some Friday morning armchair draft room notes.

Falcons: Cousins is coming off a serious Achilles injury at age 35, will be 36 at the start of the season. Penix is a short term project like Hendon. He will need a year of two to get ready as CRM builds his org and system of play. They took the long term view, which always starts with the QB. The questionable part was giving Cousins 180 M over 4 years with $50 M signing and up to $100 M guaranteed. That horse already left the barn though. If you view a rebuild as taking more than a year or two, they did it well IMO. Penix can be a franchise QB.

Bowers to the Raiders is a waste of talent.

Titans: Do you trust Dad Callahan or not? This value crap means nothing. A good LT and RT are both important and he is being paid a rookie contract deal. He is not a free agent RT that you want to convert to LT. He is an OT that you will try to convert to LT who you know will dominate at RT.

KC and Andy did it again. Just what they needed.

Bears - 👍👍

I really think the greatest art of the draft is not in chasing the guy, but in preying on that impatience to get more guys.
meanwhile, in CLT, Tepper be like...."got any more picks to trade?"
dave-chappelle-crackhead.gif

When the patriots were elite they routinely traded down and picked up more picks in upper rounds. That is the bread and butter of a roster. Round 2-3 guys.
I think that is the problem with Titans amd Cowboys franchises, respectively. Issue is they arent the Pats. No is one, not even the Pats.

I know the things arent exactly the same but, best thing for TN football was detaching from the 'old school football' teat.

Pats had a generational QB. They drew the Ace. Period. Prob with the Cowboys and Titans are such that ego is preventing clarity. Insistence on my way or highway, or, influx of new ideas are stymying what could be one or two of the prominent clubs in football.

Thoughts on Carthon emphatically stating that Latham is a LT? Maybe it’s done more than I’m recalling, but seems beyond his scope. As someone else theorized, they may draft another OT who projects on the blind side and allow him to smash at RT. Does he pass on that option because he’s declaring depth charts on the first day of the draft?

We never had HVAC when I was a kid, we burned coal and wood. I cut, carried, and stacked a lot of wood and hauled a lot of coal as a kid. I went away to college, Dad put in HVCA.
Lol we didn’t have HVAC either until after I moved out. We had some almost useless electric heaters so I at least didn’t have to carry wood or coal lol. Those summer nights with no AC were the worst for me.

I feel like you cannot go wrong on better line. The WR group is deep so you could maybe find value later there.

I would take Kool-Aid I think for secondary though. The benefit of having your 2 top guys familiar can only build chemistry in the locker room.
Definitely not against kool-aid. That would be a solid 4 guys at corner. Sneed, awuzie, mccreary, and kool-aid.

Def think gotta address the loss of Autry in the draft. Need a safety too. Really need an ILB too

Reactions: LaagerVol
Thoughts on Carthon emphatically stating that Latham is a LT? Maybe it’s done more than I’m recalling, but seems beyond his scope. As someone else theorized, they may draft another OT who projects on the blind side and allow him to smash at RT. Does he pass on that option because he’s declaring depth charts on the first day of the draft?
I'm not sure Latham is good enough to be a LT. i'm basing this off the one game I watched vs TN. I'm sure Titans are much more qualfied to judge.

I think that is the problem with Titans amd Cowboys franchises, respectively. Issue is they arent the Pats. No is one, not even the Pats.

I know the things arent exactly the same but, best thing for TN football was detaching from the 'old school football' teat.

Pats had a generational QB. They drew the Ace. Period. Prob with the Cowboys and Titans are such that ego is preventing clarity. Insistence on my way or highway, or, influx of new ideas are stymying what could be one or two of the prominent clubs in football.
The titans literally did an overhaul in regime the last two years so it literally contradicts your point…again

Everything I’ve seen is Bill Callahan wanted Latham and has converted a few RT to all-pro LT before and believes he can do it again

I have my doubts

I said ownership. She is an Adams, and wear Oilers gear. How is that contradictory. That is exactly my point, again.
See your comment in pic. The Adam’s style since owning the Oilers is ground and pound. And she overhauled that style with bringing in Carthon and hiring Callahan, meaning she’s willing/adapting to change.

Titans history is the Oilers history. It’s the same franchise. I’m not sure why you can’t understand this still. All true Titans fans embrace the history. Warren Moon is announcing the 2nd rd pick. Ironically, all former Oilers players embrace the Titans as their franchise.

Rocket scienceIMG_5384.jpeg

I'm not sure Latham is good enough to be a LT. i'm basing this off the one game I watched vs TN. I'm sure Titans are much more qualfied to judge.
Listening to the endless Bears podcasts, they were high on Taliese Fuaga…awesome player who projects at RT. When Darnell Wright was brought up, it immediately jumped to switching Wright to LT because “He played both in college.” He covered that position because we were down to scant options in Heupel’s first season and multiple portal defections. Cade Mays had to play out of position at RT. Play them where they dominate and don’t draft an unnecessary replacement! Glad the Bears have a GM who doesn’t work against himself.

Everything I’ve seen is Bill Callahan wanted Latham and has converted a few RT to all-pro LT before and believes he can do it again

I have my doubts
Yes I read that this is his baby. History of success. Still a rookie GM move by Carthon in his second draft imo. Turns out aces, who cares?

VN Store

Back