Recruiting Football Talk VII

I think Tony V’s success has given *some* fans rather unrealistic expectations.

You’re not supposed to be able to score 10 runs per game. Nor average 50.6 wins per year over a 3 year stretch.

What we’re witnessing is not normal. Should be celebrated and enjoyed.
I’ve said exactly this several times before. Thanks though.

A top 2 back in the fourth round is if nothing else a money maker in trades later when he shows what a bad ass he is.
Chris Grier has always been a “best available” type GM in the draft. It certainly fits right into that philosophy as Wrights value is definitely above the spot he was drafted at. I’m happy with it, Dolphins twitter though is a bit mixed. To be fair, it’s nothing against Wright, just the needs of the roster. They will come around eventually when he starts to show his stuff.

Reactions: pismonque
What makes you think that was directed at you? Guilty conscious?

And I never leave the WH. Just ring the bell and the ass kicking will dispense.
I’m the only one people are piling on in the thread right now, unless you’re posting cliche poster quotes at random.

Just got back from dinner with friends, so haven’t had a chance to watch tonight, but I see Wright is still on the board. Thats disappointing.

Not looking forward to the narrative spinning back up that Heupel’s system kills the draft stock of good offensive skill players. I don’t necessarily believe that to be true, but some recruiters are going to use Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, and Wright all going later than expected to negatively recruit us.
As opposed to...none of those guys were studs out of HS or the portal...and Heupel's offense highlighted them as much as humanly possible.

Wright wasn't even on anyone's radar 2 years ago. Hooker was never an NFL prospect out of VT. Hyatt was a skinny 4 star who seemed dead in the water at first and was turned into a stud. Tillman was a low 3* for god's sake.

Outside of maybe Hyatt (top 200 prospect...6th rd equivalent), none of those guys were naturally expected to even be draftworthy in the first place.

Anyone spinning that narrative is acting like he took a bunch of 5*s and made them into busts lol. Basically the opposite. And yet if we averaged 25 ppg and sucked, then folks would say what? The draft results were about right? Lmfao. Guess that'd be better in some fans' minds smh

Seems to me that the guys we had in the draft this year were at positions that were deep in the draft. 😬

Im really surprised Hadden didnt get drafted.

With an aging and often-injured Raheem Mostert it's not a bad pickup. As early as 2025 you could have Achane/Wright as RB1/2.

You don't have a back with Wrights size and speed come about every year, especially not in the 4th round. Better to get him now than risk missing out or overpaying for a similar back next draft.
For sure. It’s less about him and more about the needs of the roster currently though. If we trade away Jeff Wilson now then Wright should step right into the 3rd string role, otherwise Wright will be battling for the 3rd string this year. But yes, love a 1-2 punch of Wright and Achane in 1 to 2 years time. Speed on top of speed.

Also, one thing I will say about trading up there, Miami knew who they wanted and Grier 100% knew there was about to be a run on RBs taken. There were 5 RBs taken in the next 10 picks after Wright. Timed that perfect and got the guy they wanted most.

Reactions: Orange. and SoilVol
Wright is the only one amongst that group that I would say is going later than expected. You just had unrealistic assessments of those other guys.
Even then, his ESPN rank was 97th. He was drafted 120th lol. 23 spots up or down out of 257 picks just seems like a normal range/variance.

And of course team needs plays a big part, so being the 97th best player is no guarantee of being picked there when teams have to decide what they prioritize. Clearly not RBs...

VN Store

Back