Recruiting Football Talk VII

Well since this is the fishing thread and we're talking about rivers, I used to catch lots of redeyes in the Holston River in Hawkins County but they completely seemed to disappear right about the time the river otters showed up. I have always assumed that river otters must love them. I wonder is the smallies are also low in numbers for the same reason?
A buddy of mine dammed a small creek and created about a 1 acre pond that he stocked and managed . It was loaded with both largemouth and small mouth bass. He didn't let anyone fish for them. He would actually hand feed them minnows and night crawlers. About two years ago river otters showed up and completely wiped out all of the fish in the pond. Not sure if they ate the bigger fish, or if they starved from not having any smaller fish to eat. Otters are voracious predators.

Last edited:
I keep laughing about people thinking that if schools and the NCAA try to cap recruit pay. It sounds so nice, but we all know some program will just take it underground again. Hubbs loves to try and lean into this idea and glossing over the possibility that someone won't pay more for a particular recruit. If a guy like Nico is legit worth 5 million or 8 million today how the hell would he be worth some default rookie contract in a couple years?

Someone who loves this logic please help me make it make sense. I think all these idiots are about to do is add a salary on top of all the other crap.

Reactions: rikberry31
I keep laughing about people thinking that if schools and the NCAA try to cap recruit pay. It sounds so nice, but we all know some program will just take it underground again.
That's NCAA's primary aim. That restores their power to corruptly protect favorites, assail their favorites' rivals, and thus wield a gigantic influence on outcomes. And of course it sounds "nice." Why would the unjust balk at lying?

Last edited:
Our Cardinals aren't going to win until Mozeliak and Marmol are gone.

I used to think Mozeliak was a good GM and was fortunate to have several brief interactions with him during my time working for the AAA affiliate in Memphis. Nice guy.

But I believe his time with the Cardinals has run its course and there needs to be change and fresh ideas.

Does anyone know what's up with Aaron Beasley? I thought he had signed as an UDFA with Seattle, but he doesn't show up as one of their signings. Is he hurt or something? Anyone know?

Thanks. I wanted to make sure I was not crazy.
Cap of any kind can't get around the antitrust issues, without an exception from congress. I'm not sure what people who cover college sports for a living keep throwing a cap out there. It's not feasible at this point in time.

Reactions: DD4ME
I used to think Mozeliak was a good GM and was fortunate to have several quick interactions with him during my time working for the AAA affiliate in Memphis. Nice guy.

But I believe his time with the Cardinals has run its course and there needs to be change and fresh ideas.
Cardinals are a great Franchise in baseball sad to see the decline over the past few years.

How much would you pay for a season pass to watch every game Tennessee plays on TV, regardless of the network? You get no other games, just every UT game. What would that be worth? $80-$100/season? Would you buy that or rather just spend the $80-$100/mo on something like youtube tv?
$80 will only get you one month of Youtube TV these days.

I want to believe that we’ll pay more for Lanier than the G league and why would he pick KY over us when you compare the two programs current situations?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I keep laughing about people thinking that if schools and the NCAA try to cap recruit pay. It sounds so nice, but we all know some program will just take it underground again. Hubbs loves to try and lean into this idea and glossing over the possibility that someone won't pay more for a particular recruit. If a guy like Nico is legit worth 5 million or 8 million today how the hell would he be worth some default rookie contract in a couple years?

Someone who loves this logic please help me make it make sense. I think all these idiots are about to do is add a salary on top of all the other crap.
The other problem is that I doubt you can invoke a salary cap and then say because you're getting a salary you have no NIL rights anymore. The courts have already ruled that athletes have NIL rights.

How would NCAA enforce NIL limits when courts have already ruled against it? The employee and CBA part to lock kids in makes sense, but couldn't that be challenged too. I think this logic is so naive.
Hmmm. I responded to your first post and then got DD4ME'd.

Reactions: DD4ME
Ah, I see that now. Missed that bit of news today. Maybe he can get back some of that mojo he had going on at Sevilla. That Europa League championship year that team was great.

I was wanting to see y’all hire Amorim after that news leaked a week or so ago. Enjoyed watching Sporting the few times I’ve seen them play and wanted to see what he could do in the Premier League. Chelsea talked with him last summer and I was hoping they’d take a shot on him. He may be young but he’s already won trophies and already has experience managing in European Cups. I’m now hoping he stays at Sporting, gets another 6 months to a year of experience and then Chelsea hire him when we inevitable sack Pochettino.
I got pretty excited with the possibility of the manager from Sporting, but alas….

The Hammers are not the most well run organization in English Football that’s for sure :)

VN Store

Back