Recruiting Football Talk VII

Attempting to protect the big business of NCAA. I’m soooo shocked.

Some folks suddenly hate the free market out of nowhere 😅

Well...unless it's for coaches, ADs, commissioners, NCAA presidents, etc........on-brand 😏

They are trying to protect the ncaa not their state institutions…and those state institutions don’t care about players the very ppl those congressmen are suppose to represent
Can't fully agree there. The ones that will pay are the scum universities that lead the NCAA.

They're protecting both, but to their respective jurisdictions, in an election year, they're worried about their state entities over these players' rights and where congress is heading, I agree with you there.

They're pretending to "protect ball" when really they're protecting the consolidation of money and keep it from the players.

Reactions: SoilVol
Wildish thing happened in college sports today. Let me paint a picture so you'll understand:

Imagine if you will that Fulmer is still the head coach at Tennessee. We've won a couple more natty's. Peyton Manning retired from the NFL several years earlier and since 2015 has been coaching at, say, UNC. He's won some ACC titles and put them in direct contest with Clemson and FSU for the top of the league. He's getting 1st rounders consistently and recruiting well. Unprecedented success for UNC.

Last year, in this fiction, Fulmer hired Peyton away from UNC and tabs him associate head coach and OC. At some point midseason, Peyton takes over practices, then Fulmer gives him HC duties in games to finish the season. At the end of the season, Fulmer retires and tabs Payton as his successor. Life is good.

But after 2-3 weeks there's been no contract announcement or official word from the AD. There's rumblings behind the scenes.

Suddenly, the AD and boosters have been tracked on a flight to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The next day, they announce Derrick Henry is retiring from professional competition and will be the head football coach at Tennessee. With no HC experience. And his alma mater is our rival. Spurning Peyton.

That basically just happened in collegiate wrestling. Legendary coach John Smith (like, Bobby Bowden of college wrestling maybe) retired from Oklahoma State with alum Coleman Scott tabbed as successor. An athlete he coached to great success who after his Olympic and World competitions were over, took over UNC's program. Putting them at the top of the ACC and having a national titlest. He returned to Stillwater last year as assoc. HC.

Then the AD and boosters flew to State College, PA and hired David Taylor (Olympic Gold, multi-World golds, 2x NCAA champ for Penn State) a week after he didn't get this year's Olympic bid.

Just wild. Did Scott dirty. Don't get me wrong, DT is an awesome guy and will be highly successful at OSU. But if this happened in football or men's basketball... heck, maybe even women's basketball. Like, if we had spurned Holly Warlick and hired UConn alum Diana Taurasi straight out of the WNBA after Pat stepped down. Almost that level of dirty. Except OkSU and PSU don't vehemently hate each other as much.
Oh wow. I follow college wrestling closely and hadn’t seen this news. Nothing against Davis Taylor but this is a bad move. I wonder what OSU alums like DC think. I went to school with Kevin Ward, coach of Army, I’d like to find if he has comments on this

Also, for those that don’t follow closely, the fictional example SoilVol gave was spot on

Oh wow. I follow college wrestling closely and hadn’t seen this news. Nothing against Davis Taylor but this is a bad move. I wonder what OSU alums like DC think. I went to school with Kevin Ward, coach of Army, I’d like to find if he has comments on this

Also, for those that don’t follow closely, the fictional example SoilVol gave was spot on
Thanks for the follow up. Cool the connection you have with Ward.

DT is an awesome dude. I know several people who know him personally and we are family friends with his high school coach. I'm excited for him and it may be a phenomenal hire - but you don't do that to someone. AD should've stood up to the boosters in this scenario. That program supports itself and has a cult following that won't disappear. Instead he decided to please some deep pockets who are in the minority. Last I read Scott was being considered to go resurrect Hofstra's program which has disappeared for a while now.

Apparently Kyle Dake might join DT as an assistant after the Olympics. Would be a heck of a staff.

The best part was the shots of the pup fans and their utter disbelief. Would love to beat them again more regularly so they can go back to being mostly irrelevant.
We (Dawg hubby and I) were sitting with our friends, UGA donors, in their section…I’ll tell you all about it over a beer one day!

Looks like a bad tornado in Colombia, Tennessee. Prayers to everyone in the storm’s path!

Reports say it touched down about 5 miles east of downtown Columbia, which is a mostly rural area, but there are homes out there. Praying for the best and ready to go help as soon as the request comes.

VN Store

Back