Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton being heavily involved in this coaching search makes me feel a bit better about them not messing this up. The University will do its best to keep the embarrassment to a minimum. We don't want an Auburn situation.

If Peyton is heavily involved like you say, then I think Jim Caldwell would be who we would look at. Jim seems like a good guy, but I’m not sure about the fit here. He is a Midwest kind of guy. Hey, so was Saban till he went to LSU.

Tennessee football confidential: Coaches on 'irresistible' job, Pruitt, cheating

The point here is to have a discussion about the Tennessee football job and how it is viewed in the coaching community, employing a roundtable of college coaches — five total, three of them current FBS head coaches, all having at least served as a Power 5 or NFL coordinator — who can speak freely without their names attached to their comments.

One question: What will expectations be for the next coach?

“Is the next guy going to be Tennessee’s version of Matt Luke at Ole Miss?” a coach said. “Take a depleted roster, clean things up, clean up the image but don’t really get the opportunity to win like you should? Just make it a great job for a bigger fish to come along? And then you have to ask if the things Pruitt has done are being done all over the SEC. And is that what you have to do at Tennessee?”

There are clear deterrents. And clear attractions.

Coach: “I’ve always thought it was one of the best jobs in America, my entire coaching career. The passion, the alums, the fans. Like Nebraska or Arkansas, a school in a state where it really doesn’t have any competition. Great history, tradition, facilities. And there isn’t enough talent in-state, but you draw a circle around Knoxville and go 300 miles in any direction, you’ve got more than enough.”

Coach: “I mean, you’ve got 107,000 people showing up at your games in a non-COVID season. These are true fanatics, and you just don’t have that at many places.”

Coach: “In my opinion, you need someone in there who looks at it like being governor of the state. You need someone who can rally an entire state around that program again.”

Coach: “You can win a national championship at Tennessee. I firmly believe that.”

Coach: “I mean, it’s irresistible. Are you kidding me? You’ve got all the ****ing tools to be great.”

These five coaches represent different backgrounds, jobs, conferences, experiences and perspectives. One thing that binds them: Like all but maybe a couple dozen people in their industry, they’d drop everything right now and give it a shot at Tennessee.

If Peyton is heavily involved like you say, then I think Jim Caldwell would be who we would look at. Jim seems like a good guy, but I’m not sure about the fit here. He is a Midwest kind of guy. Hey, so was Saban till he went to LSU.
Caldwell would be a disaster and Peyton was never in love with him as a HC

It’s past time. My problem is that I can’t convince myself to believe them even a little. I don’t think they will try and fail. I think they will feed us that like they always do while they sit around and look through the bargain bin and their Facebook friend’s lists fir candidates. I wanted Pruitt gone months ago and yet I’ve never felt more hopeless about a search which is emblematic of how badly they need to hit it out of the park. A lot of us really have reached a point where something’s gotta give. We can’t keep reliving this.
👍 I'm solidly in "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.. However until then, I'm going to have fun....

Basilio just said the day Gump got fired Kiffin texted 2 prominent boosters saying he wanted the job

It's fun for me to dream that we hire Kiffin, but I feel like it would be safer for all our emotions and mental well-being if we stop trying to speak this into existence lol. It's not happening.

Reactions: FBtime
VolzOwn, the guy on VQ who correctly predicted everything on Monday, just said:

Everyone keep calm!

giphy.gif

If centering your posting on this one thread makes you an elitist, then I'm fine with that. I read a few threads over there and I wanted to puke. It's a mess of low IQ individuals.
I usually make a round over there every couple of weeks just to check out the thread titles. Every blue moon I’ll post something. But, by far this is the best, most informed group/thread going on VN about football in by far.

Kiffin has grown up by an order of magnitude since he was here. It wouldn't be the same.

The attitude and brashness would be enough to generate buzz and kickstart a dead program, but it wouldn't be overboard silly like last time.

Give the man (not kid this time) a chance. His upside is off the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back