Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The constant drone of "CJH's offense" misses a very important fact: it most assuredly isn't static and unchanging. If you think he is going to blindly run it the way Butch did, you're missing the difference between a guy who developed a successful offense vs a guy who inherited one. He is clearly an offensive mind, he will adapt.

I think we're cool to punt signing day on Wednesday, we might sign one or two lower ranked guys.

I wonder if that is affecting our defensive coordinator search? If it's not Steele, we might be fine to let whoever we're hiring finish up the class at their current school.
I’m inclined to agree...I believe they have already selected a defensive coordinator, but they’re waiting to announce it until after signing day.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Grad Transfer
Walk-On

JG
Hill
Shrout
Ty
Gray
Allen - medical scholarship
Lowe
Brandon
Montgomery
Morris
Jahmir
Abercrombie
Savion
Rinke
Henry T
JJP
Crouch

Bennett -dismissed
Johnson
Gaddy
Lawrence
Buchanan - medically scholarship

Red = Players that weren't grad transfers or walk-ons still on active football scholarships

Reactions: hooter vol
Steele would be a home run DC hire. He’d likely bring Garner with him. I don’t buy the whole ‘Steele the Usurper’ stuff very much. He probably lobbied for the Auburn job, and hoped he could interim his way into the UT job, but it’d be career suicide for him to be actively undermining his HC and looking to take his job. No matter where his next gig is he’ll do his job and he’ll do it well.
Why would UT have to pay Auburn? They fired him.

It puts up points when there is a talent advantage, there's no proof it can work when going up against top end defenses.

But like I said, it's possible JH makes some tweaks. It's my opinion that he will have to slow his offense down a *little* to protect his defense and going fast against SEC defenses who can compete on the outside will not work long term.
I'm hopeful the ability to score points when the team has "on" games will results in more wins early than we might have otherwise. I think any long term success will have to be the result of building out a strong defense, because unless we have bama, clemson, or ohio state talent, this type of offense will have down games. Without a stout defensive side of the ball 8-4 is the ceiling. A good defense gets us to 10-2 territory and an elite one has us in atlanta

Reactions: Kingston Vol
[QUOTE="Kingston Vol, post: 19456975, member: 26763"]It puts up points when there is a talent advantage, there's no proof it can work when going up against top end defenses.[/QUOTE]

So you’re telling me we should be able to put up a lot of points in 9 out of our 12 match-ups this season. If we are able to do this I would call 2021 a success.

Advice from a 53 year old. Get the best mattress you can afford, take acid reflux med, and drink plenty of water while enjoying your choice of adult beverages. Hang in there guys! Just gotta change your strategy.
Acid reflux meds is a great way to mess up body chemistry

I believe Maurer's arm and legs fit most systems, particularly one like we are going to run, but not sure his head fits any system, but hope I'm wrong.
I wouldn’t be suprised to see Maurer make this into a real competition this summer. I think he has a lot of upside if he can keep his mind right. I don’t mean that in a way referring to his issues w/ depression or anything like that. I think he needs to get his football mind right and Heupel gives him a little bit of the Coach Cut to Erik Ainge treatment.

I’ll be 43 in April. Everything hurts! Years of lifting, sports, training horses, and farm work taking its toll.
I turned 44 last year and had plantar fasciitis, wisdom teeth removed, and herniated a lumbar disc and ended up having surgery for it.
That said, I actually feel I’m in better health and fitness now than in my mid 30s. Part thanks to @nicksjuzunk and, I also used to drink, smoke, and dip ... a LOT. I cut out the tobacco a few years ago and that made my drinking quantity and frequency plummet.

Also, both of my parents died in the last year and a half due to neurological issues. That really sharpens the focus when contemplating one’s own mortality.

I would recommend looking into Wim Hof and his methods for breathing and cold exposure. Definitely not an alternative to healthy eating and exercise, but a complement to add to to your toolbox.

So, to the new 33 year old (was it @utvols88 who started this?)... your best days may still be ahead! 👍

He's under a two-year contract as an "assistant football coach." His on-field responsibilities are intentionally undefined. Auburn has been squealing since he was hired. They fired him; now they want UT to pick up more of the tab.
By picking up the tab, do you mean they want to reduce their payments to him by $450K per year? UT shouldn't be on the hook for anything other than what they're paying him now

Cincy is a good point - GT and Houston both suck.

I just don't think AAC to SEC translates 1:1.
I agree GT and Houston suck, only making the point that their rosters are more talented than UCF’s this year, and it takes a good coach to make the most of the talent at hand. Heupel’s done that really well at UCF, even among more talented teams.

If we want to talk about how his offenses performed relative to good defense / bad defense, we also have to consider that he had the second least talented roster at Missouri on 2017, only above Vandy.

I’ll post his point totals against some teams that year, and measure that against a similar opponent for us, based on talent discrepancy. I.e. based on talent, Missouri playing Vandy would’ve been equivalent to us playing SC this year. Them playing Arkansas in 2017 would’ve been like us playing Auburn.

Florida: W 45-16
Talent Diff: -0.91
2020 Similar opponent for UT: Georgia

@Vanderbilt: W 45-17
Talent Diff: +.08
Similar opponent: South Carolina

I know these things don’t translate perfectly, but it’s easy to forget just how far behind Missouri is from a talent perspective.

STRIKE THIS. There’s a better comparison to make that I’ll get to shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleegro
It puts up points when there is a talent advantage, there's no proof it can work when going up against top end defenses.

But like I said, it's possible JH makes some tweaks. It's my opinion that he will have to slow his offense down a *little* to protect his defense and going fast against SEC defenses who can compete on the outside will not work long term.
Don't think his work at Oklahoma should be discounted. He beat Bama with Trevor freakin Knight. That dude was awful.

Why do I torture myself when I go out by listening to WNML? That station sucks huge donkey balls. We need a better sports station in Knoxville.
My wife and I went on a road trip last fall through the Smokies and went to campus for a couple of hours. I turned it on 99.1 and there wasn’t one damn thing different about that 3 pm show than when I was there 15 years ago. It was hilarious. The same style, tone, just exactly the way I remembered it.

Reactions: SweetAsSodaPop
Mentioned the other week I have been working on PPP Business "loans" - a covid government relief program. What I did not know before working on them is that this program also is meant for self-employed people, even if you don't have employees. It is easily forgiven, so essentially free money equal to 2.5x your monthly net income from 2019.

So I started an application for my wife. This made me think to reach out to all my friends that are not just small business owners with employees, but also self-employed. I thought of our wonderful resident board trainer, @nicksjuzunk but then figured I'd just make a public post for anyone here that is self-employed. Please make sure to take advantage of this program. It is simple and can help make up for losses incurred during the pandemic, as my wife and I'm sure many have. The deadline is March 31st, but funds may run out before this.

To get started, I'd suggest finding a lender through the SBA site: SBA

Pro-tip: When it asks how much funding you are wanting - use your 2019 1040 Schedule C, line 31. Divide this by 12 to get a monthly average, then multiply by 2.5.

Hope this can help some during these times!
Thanks!

I turn 40 in 40 days and I feel like I'm still 18 years old (except I get a hangover after 3 beers now).

Caveat: I've forgotten how it feels to be 18 years old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back