Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they don't double down and start suing everyone for defamation like those Covington twerps.
I'm with you on everything you said until here. I'll explain why and then walk away.
The Covington kids were demonized by many news organizations and many people of power in the US. So much so, that they were getting death threats and people were putting out on Twitter they would pay (in some way) to see harm done to those kids. Then the truth came out and not one of those organizations or people retracted, or apologized, for those statements. Heck many politicians just deleted the post in hopes no one would remember.

I’m sorry but you don’t defend that behavior as a leader of a university. It’s racist and they put it on social media. End of story. If you think doesn’t hurt us, then you’re being incredibly naive.

It'd be nice if Carrilli said more to the idea that these students have basically ostracized themselves by their actions have done their own futures no favors by espousing their views. Granted, this is also naive because there's still a lot of old money racists down south including at UTK, but it'd have been a supplement to just "gotta protect first amendment rights".

It'd be nice if Carrilli said more to the idea that these students have basically ostracized themselves by their actions have done their own futures no favors by espousing their views. Granted, this is also naive because there's still a lot of old money racists down south including at UTK, but it'd have been a supplement to just "gotta protect first amendment rights".
I’ll get behind that.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Yeah well, I can’t walk onto an airplane and scream bomb without repercussions.
Active threats aren't actually "free speech."

Here's what I've gathered, someone shared a racist snap. A completely different individual captured the snap and they shared it. I say this not to defend the source but to point out they didn't just put it on social media themselves.

I'm with you on everything you said until here. I'll explain why and then walk away.
The Covington kids were demonized by many news organizations and many people of power in the US. So much so, that they were getting death threats and people were putting out on Twitter they would pay (in some way) to see harm done to those kids. Then the truth came out and not one of those organizations or people retracted, or apologized, for those statements. Heck many politicians just deleted the post in hopes no one would remember.

Anyone saying they'd like to see physical harm done to those kids is wrong.

But calling that sh!t-eating smirk what it was, is not defamation.

We all know Twitter is a cesspool of knee-jerk overreactions and people show their worst sides there. I can't stand by anyone saying they'd pay to see harm done to someone (...including some president guy who said he'd pay the legal bills if a supporter would punch a protester at his rally...).

But Jim Carrey (unhinged of late) and Bill Maher (left even of me) calling them little sh!ts shouldn't be enough to facilitate a "defamation" lawsuit.

I'll walk away from this line of conversation now, as well. ::hat-tip::

I have taught history at the secondary and post-secondary level. I get what you're saying, but I think you should read up some more on Lincoln's personal life, the reasoning for his decisions, and why he is regarded by PROFESSIONAL HISTORIANS as one the greats. You won't of course, and this entire post is a waste of time. Alas.

Yeah I should really do some research as I haven't done any. Thanks teach. I know plenty about his personal life. I also know about his reasoning. You can tell the PROFESSIONAL HISTORIANS that just because they get paid to pontificate their bloated cherry-picked opinions in tweed jackets and snifters of brandy it does not make them right.

Andrew Jackson was a hard ass, I will give you that.

Anyone saying they'd like to see physical harm done to those kids is wrong.

But calling that sh!t-eating smirk what it was, is not defamation.

We all know Twitter is a cesspool of knee-jerk overreactions and people show their worst sides there. I can't stand by anyone saying they'd pay to see harm done to someone (...including some president guy who said he'd pay the legal bills if a supporter would punch a protester at his rally...).

But Jim Carrey (unhinged of late) and Bill Maher (left even of me) calling them little sh!ts shouldn't be enough to facilitate a "defamation" lawsuit.

I'll walk away from this line of conversation now, as well. ::hat-tip::
Was Jim Carrey a drug user? That dude has lost his mind. Like, he needs help type of lost his mind.

Was Jim Carrey a drug user? That dude has lost his mind. Like, he needs help type of lost his mind.

I heard something where his long-term gf committed suicide or something. That was probably the breaking point.

I was watching this:

Kind of shed some insight into how he approached acting-- he tried to really live inside the character's skin basically exclusively during filming-- which explains why he's actually a very good actor, but also a little "weird" now.

Reactions: T Dog
I heard something where his long-term gf committed suicide or something. That was probably the breaking point.

I was watching this:

Kind of shed some insight into how he approached acting-- he tried to really live inside the character's skin basically exclusively during filming-- which explains why he's actually a very good actor, but also a little "weird" now.

I like his art though. He is talented.

Yeah I should really do some research as I haven't done any. Thanks teach. I know plenty about his personal life. I also know about his reasoning. You can tell the PROFESSIONAL HISTORIANS that just because they get paid to pontificate their bloated cherry-picked opinions in tweed jackets and snifters of brandy it does not make them right.

Andrew Jackson was a hard ass, I will give you that.

You make a lot of assumptions when you post. I never assumed you hadn't read anything, only that you should explore some stuff about his earlier life and the reasoning behind his decisions. Also, when experts have opinions about something I generally listen. I don't go to the doctor and argue with him/her because I visited WebMD. It's ignorant and just a waste of time.

Pretty sure I read it is a biased hit piece produced in conjunction with some of the folks going after his estate.

Apparently the FBI investigated him some crazy number, like 29 times and never found anything.

Not saying he didn’t do it, just heard that doc not very fair

I've heard the same. Feldman, who spent a bunch of time with him as a kid, came out and said it was untrue and that there always a bunch of kids hanging around Neverland Ranch.

Wade Robson, one of the guys the documentary focused on, testified under oath at the age of 22 that MJ never touched him.

At this point, I'm not sure we have a reliable source for the truth.

I was watching this:

His ex-girlfriend also wrote a note before she committed suicide that basically said he drove her to it giving her 3 STDs and introducing her to drugs. Her family sued, but it was later dismissed.

I was watching this:

Did not know that about his girlfriend. Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back