Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;dr. May be worth it for some.

Some like Ainge and some don't. I have generally always liked Ainge's analysis, especially when he gets to the actual playing of the game and not all the silliness. If you have been listening earlier this week he has been direct and explanatory on what happened. DC Banks. To summarize, he did not even give his players the opportunity to fail on their own. It was scheme and play calling. Add in some missing of Jeremy Banks, the D's leader.

He said it was obvious that they needed to play press man and blitz. Soft zone and soft man were recipes for disaster because without a strong pass rush and with that much time to throw any QB would pick us apart. No holding calls from Birmingham's hit squad meant making quick defensive adjustments to the game plan. They did not make those adjustments. They kept doing the stupid, thinking it night change because Rattler has never shown he could do what he did while expecting a pass rush to develop.

Me: The scheme and play calling were game planned to play safe and it failed in spectacular fashion like most "prevent" defenses. In my book, third or fourth and Chavis will change forever to third or fourth and Banks.

No Jeremy Banks to make the pass rush happen or set the toughness tone. Having Mitchell in the game to replace him means it is 11 guys on 10, he is useless. The drop off at LB after Banks and Beasley is that bad. Herring is talented, just needs experience and yet, they kept trotting the useless out there like Mitchell and Page.

Nobody wants to hear that Heup approved that defensive game plan beforehand. All HC's have the final say on that. Banks does not have unilateral authority to do whatever he wanted. Nobody wants to hear that the defensive game plan should have been changed after the second TD in the first quarter, it was that obvious. Heup did not have it changed. I will never believe he does not know defense well as an excuse. He could never design an O like ours without also knowing defenses well. That man has football blood running through his veins.

So they lost due to fear by the coaching staff, overconfidence by some players, team morale with Jeremy Banks out, and actual play on the field by missing Jeremy Banks.

Which is why nobody was fired this week. Heup is complicit with the D's bad performance. What's done is done. They hope to recover against Vandy and in the bowl game. I believe both Banks and Martinez are on the clock, particularly Martinez. Banks just had his welcome to the SEC moment. He may be given more rope to hang himself with another year on the big contract.

JMO - the worst case scenario if they lose to Vandy: The early signing day is soon, recruits are on the line and they need continuity in the staff. I believe both Banks and Martinez are on the clock. If they are over Martinez he will be gone after December's signing day. The die is cast on high end secondary recruits for it. I doubt any high end 4 and 5 stars are going to show up to sign with us. Banks would be terminated after the bowl. The portal and late signing period might be more productive with staff changes.

If they beat Vandy and the D is OK to good, Banks is given another year and Martinez' job may still be shopped. They would wait to pull the trigger until after the bowl game. If Heup still wants Willie at that point, he stays.

If they win out and look decent to good on D, both probably return.

After reading this post something just occurred to me and to be honest I almost had some kinda of a flashback to our Defensive scheme from years ago........WE RAN THE MUSTANG PACKAGE FOR A WHOLE GAME.....Tim must have got some advice from John.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I understand why we did what we did, and in the long run, it was for the best. Just get the punishment out of the way. But the main impact guys will enter the portal early so they can enroll for the Spring semester at their new school and go through Spring practice. It's the same logic that makes us love EEs. They get that extra development and work in the system.

That's right. Even still, it does take the new guys some time to gel and find their way in the system. I've gone from expecting impact players overnight from the portal, to seeking depth.

We just have so much to fix on defense and in our secondary.

What are our priorities?

Try at all of these and hope we end up with a handful?
Safety
Safety
DB
DB
TE
LB
OT
DL
RB

I hope we have some money loaded up to rope in great talent.

We don't even have to win the "got the most talent in the portal" contest. Bama got the best DB in the portal last year and he wasn't a 5-star lockdown guy.

I just want depth. Depth depth depth. Get me some above average to good guys that we can plug in at multiple spots on defense. Maybe we'll luck up at OT and DL with older guy(s) from a lesser program or an intra-conference transfer.

Last edited:
Agreed! Also, on a more fundamental level, I've been completely entertained this season - even the USC game had me entertained until Hooker hurt his ACL (I thought a comeback was possible up to that point).

In the end, this is about entertainment. If it's any more than that, you are doing this all wrong and you'll never be happy.

You’re right, sports is entertainment now. I hate to think it, but I can’t help but wonder if some games are rigged; teams possibly instructed the throw the game? Because it looks like that’s exactly what Tennessee did on Saturday, there is no other freakin explanation to be honest. Not to mention Beamer all but guaranteed a win against us on Saturday morning & Kirk Herbstreit also said we could be upset by SC prior to our game…it was very odd given that we were 22 point favorites and SC had just lost in horrible fashion to Florida the previous week.

I know it sounds crazy but there have been some very questionable plays, losses in the NFL, NBA, etc in recent years. Players looking as if they meant to drop the ball or whiff on the tackle, etc. Unfortunately so many other things are rigged and fixed, just look at our elections among other things…who’s to say sports aren’t too?

Reactions: crovol
I mean Clemson is about to face South Carolina....so Dabo being asked and mentioning us wasn't that out of pocket.

But who gives af what Steve Spurrier has to say?
He was a South Carolina Coach, probably the most successful one. It would be like Majors or Fulmer commenting on our games if Fulmer hadn't tried to destroy us from within

You’re right, sports is entertainment now. I hate to think it, but I can’t help but wonder if some games are rigged; teams possibly instructed the throw the game? Because it looks like that’s exactly what Tennessee did on Saturday, there is no other freakin explanation to be honest. Not to mention Beamer all but guaranteed a win against us on Saturday morning & Kirk Herbstreit also said we could be upset by SC prior to our game…it was very odd given that we were 22 point favorites and SC had just lost in horrible fashion to Florida the previous week.

I know it sounds crazy but there have been some very questionable plays, losses in the NFL, NBA, etc in recent years. Players looking as if they meant to drop the ball or whiff on the tackle, etc. Unfortunately so many other things are rigged and fixed, just look at our elections among other things…who’s to say sports aren’t too?

Oh good god

That's right. Even still, it does take the new guys some time to gel and find their way in the system. I've gone from expecting impact players overnight from the portal, to seeking depth.

We just have so much to fix on defense and in our secondary.

What are our priorities?

Safety
Safety
DB
DB
TE
LB
OT
DL
RB
I'm not sure we'll have that many spots. It depends on who leaves, whether it's for the NFL, running out of eligibility, or they're pushed out. And a lot will depend on who is out there, and just how much impact the coaches think they could have.

Reactions: BigSteve09

giphy.gif

I'm not sure we'll have that many spots. It depends on who leaves, whether it's for the NFL, running out of eligibility, or they're pushed out. And a lot will depend on who is out there, and just how much impact the coaches think they could have.
if you only had 5 spots, what positions are you prioritizing

Some of y'all are the fools that booed the 2016 Vols at halftime of the Florida game. We got punched in the face. So what? Sack up! (Ladies feel free to up whatever you would prefer) I hope this team doesn't have the same amount of quit as the fan base. If they do then we will lose to Andy cause some of y'all are just straight toxic.
👏👏👏👏

Reactions: jakez4ut
Hard to say without knowing for sure who is gone. DBs are the easy answer, but someone could leave and suddenly another position is just as weak.
well I've been watching the World Cup and I noticed that we don't have enough kickers so I'd probably just get 5 of those

Reactions: Weezer
He was a South Carolina Coach, probably the most successful one. It would be like Majors or Fulmer commenting on our games if Fulmer hadn't tried to destroy us from within

Did he comment on the Florida beating to South Carolina?

This was the only game where we've heard from him. But guess what UT fans will do...click on a story with Steve Spurrier talking about the Vols...just drives me crazy. I'm so tired of media using negativity to draw in clicks.

I have been baffled by our defense. Some games they play out of their minds and others it looks like a monkey engaging in sexual relations with a football. It seems like a combination of coaching and players not executing. Don't know if Tim Banks is the guy or not but I also know that he is handicapped due to past recruiting and attrition. Only time will tell and Heupel will have to put on his big boy britches and make a decision in the off season.
Those huge cushions...🤦‍♂️ and that crappy ass soft zone where guys just stand there as receivers just kind of find a hole and stand there with 2-3 guys just dickfiddling around them..and then look like a bunch of spastics trying to "tackle" the guy as he gets another 10 yards.

There is just no excuse for any of that.

Reactions: Lovesomebigorange
This is the kind of " holier than thou" BS that chaps my A$$. I and others have cheered for this team longer than you have been alive. In that time, we have seen our team play for 1 national championship. Just 1. We had the opportunity to play for another one by beating two bad teams. Instead of handling business, we went into the game thinking we could win based on our ranking. Many of us are upset with the coaches and the players. In 40-50 years after us old grumpy people are dead; you will look back on this game and wonder how they could be so stupid to lose to that SC team. Maybe we don't get another chance at a championship in the next 40-50 years. You never know.

When I watch our rivals when championship after championship over the last 10-15 years and we piss away our opportunity it makes me furious. If you don't like that it makes some of us mad, then too bad.
🤣🤣🤣 Puhhhhlease!?!?

This was the only game where we've heard from him. But guess what UT fans will do...click on a story with Steve Spurrier talking about the Vols...just drives me crazy. I'm so tired of media using negativity to draw in clicks.

Shouldn’t you just be tired of people continually interacting with the negativity. If people didn’t like the negativity and it didn’t drive clicks then the media wouldn’t be so negative.

It’s a business just like any other business.

It seems like some are telling us we can't express our hurt or anger over this loss. I'm not cool with that.

None of us should be judging who is or isn't a "better Vol".

We all deal with disappointment differently. Some deal better than others. I know I'm on the end that deals with it poorly. Pretty sure you're standing next to me, based on your previous posts.
🦬💩...ya wanna go toxic..go toxic, but don't think others aren't going to drill you for it...and yes being toxic makes you a garbage fan...that is not judging, that is stating a fact.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou

Did Spurrier also comment on his gators losing to Vandy in Nashville for the first time since 1988?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back