Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now we know beating mediocre big 12 teams by 3 every week and not winning the conference is not deserving of the playoffs.

Play off committee.... (prolly)
back-to-the-future-taking-notes.gif

Georgia winning another one just makes me laugh. Can’t get too upset because unhealthy obviously. Seems like every big sec school has won 1 or multiple (Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU) since Tennessee sniffed their last championship. Sad.

And unfortunately Auburn won one and played for another in that same time making UT at best the 6th most prominent SEC team in the last 20 years. The fact that CJH made us relevant on the national scene in year 2 is shockingly impressive. Here's to be relevant for the next few decades.

And unfortunately Auburn won one and played for another in that same time making UT at best the 6th most prominent SEC team in the last 20 years. The fact that CJH made us relevant on the national scene in year 2 is shockingly impressive. Here's to be relevant for the next few decades.
He’s done a good job up to this point. It’s one thing to be relevant and it’s another thing to actually win a national championship. Seeing your two rivals just march right over everyone to the national championship game every year is utterly distasteful and nauseating.

I’m 100% on board with a 12 team playoff but this was the one thing that I don’t like at all. Giving conference winners an auto bye is dumb. Not all conferences are created equal and not all conferences are structured the same. I just want the top 4 teams based off the committee rankings to get the byes.. screw conference winners.

Of course IF they keep conference championship games then they would have had to play an extra game anyway before the playoffs. But I agree top 5 rankings should be the bye not who won what conference, a 9-4 Pac-12 champion shouldn't get a bye over a 10-2 SEC team rated higher.

As long as we have to play both Alabama and UGA and neither of them has to play each other every season...both will always have a huge advantage on us.

We have a harder road to either a SEC or National Cjampionship than any other team in CFB...it makes it nigh impossible....even if you beat them both in season, you will have to beat one or both again to win a title even with the expanded playoffs.

I hate this crap.

UT has to succeed despite scheduling inequities, no doubt. Only UT and Auburn have to play Bama and UGA every year. Teams like UK benefit from weaker cross-division draws and intentional creampuff scheduling-- it's part of their strategy and it has helped them leapfrog UT in the division some years. SEC teams cannibalize each other, creating a path for teams like TCU. However it shakes out, it will never be universally fair... so UT has to be better. We've been on top before. What UGA did, UT can do. We have the pedigree and the resources.

I’m 100% on board with a 12 team playoff but this was the one thing that I don’t like at all. Giving conference winners an auto bye is dumb. Not all conferences are created equal and not all conferences are structured the same. I just want the top 4 teams based off the committee rankings to get the byes.. screw conference winners.
any bye of any sort in the CFB playoff is stupid

furthermore, if the first round is going to be on campus, you are not rewarding communities that have good teams

that is another gameday weekend for local businesses to cash in on a successful team, especially in the smaller college towns

UT has to succeed despite scheduling inequities, no doubt. Only UT and Auburn have to play Bama and UGA every year. Teams like UK benefit from weaker cross-division draws and intentional creampuff scheduling-- it's part of their strategy and it has helped them leapfrog UT in the division some years. SEC teams cannibalize each other, creating a path for teams like TCU. However it shakes out, it will never be universally fair... so UT has to be better. We've been on top before. What UGA did, UT can do. We have the pedigree and the resources.
we need more info and momentum towards the schedule changes that have been discussed. whether it's pods, permanent opponents, or round robin - it's time to start a rotation that keeps competition fair for all

All of this just makes me not like Mike Hamilton and school leadership even more. While they were focused on taking resources out of athletics and the football program and focusing more on academics. We get steamrolled and bypassed by LSU, Bama, Florida and Georgia. Ugh. Programs that want to win National Championships. Their enrollments sky rocketed while Tennessee’s flat lined. Funny how that works. Just ranting. Cheers on “doing it the right way”!…. Hopefully that’ll eventually lead to a championship some day while most of everyone on here is still alive.

Did you miss the word “try”

Listen...even throwing in "try" you're absolutely wrong with using the word "majority" most don't even try to show up to class or team meetings in college.

You got 131 teams in FBS and the majority of those teams won't even have a player make the NFL. You're vagueness is just inaccurate regardless of adding in "try" to try and CYA.

Looks like we need a Propaganda Minister on staff to brainwash our players so that games like the South Carolina debacle never happens again.

we learned a valuable lesson about pride and disrespect - the highs coming off of the Bama win into the Georgia perfect storm

and about overlooking opponents - South Carolina

I think our players and staff will hold those lessons close to heart. Hopefully our fans and media (Ainge) have learned the lesson too

on a positive note, those are not lessons that you have to worry about learning when you're going 5-7 to 8-4. We haven't had to worry about those kinds of things in 15+ years. Comes with the territory, and I think we all like this territory better

Anyone got solid info on the eligibility of the Transfers we just picked up? I've seen conflicting stuff all over the place on this.

Based on what I saw/could figure:
Thornton- 2 or 3 Yrs
Campbell- 1 or 2 Yrs
Norman-Lott- 2 Yrs

Can anyone confirm?
Campbell has one season of playing eligibility (class of 2018). Could apply for an additional year due to missing the 2021 season recovering from surgery on his leg…but not automatic since his 2018 season was a non-medical redshirt.

Thornton has three seasons to play two (class of 2021)

Saw Smokeyz did all this legwork already :tips 🎩:

Last edited:
Tennessee isn’t that far away from Georgia campus. Neither is it far from Clemsons. No reason why Tennessee can’t get the players needed to win championships at the highest level. Recruiting is mostly nationalized now anyway.

Campbell has one season of playing eligibility (class of 2018). Could apply for an additional year due to missing the 2021 season recovering from surgery on his leg…but not automatic since his 2018 season was a non-medical redshirt.
Yep

bold = didn't count against eligibility

2018 - RS
2019 - played
2020 - COVID
2021 - missed possible medical RS
2022 - played

He could pursue a 2nd year here pretty easily I think, but I'd say his plan is to be on a top 5 offense and get drafted. Mays did it, Wright/Carvin are about to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back