Recruiting Forum Football Talk XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bald biker talked about hiring a coach with a Saban pedigree. Going to be hard to find.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm still trying to figure out Low's trash talk earlier? Did he ever offer any reason for why we're supposedly toxic? He sounds like he hasn't checked on the program since Kiffin fled in the middle of the night.

Reactions: 1 person
Peepaw Baldy - you need to waunder back home for the night. It's going to be a long day tomorrow.

Thats it? So he doesnt have to face Malzahan, Saban, LSU and Sumlin every year? Hmmm...

I'm not big on Frost, because he is winning big in a league with only 1 or 2 tough matchups for his team. Poster talked about how navy had been his toughest test to date, so I pointed out he still had to face USF. A team that could thrash UCF and take some shine off of Frost.

If I were king of the hill, here's the steps I'd take to get Tennessee football back. It requires sucking up some pride, but I think it would work.

1) End the Alabama cross-divisional rivalry: after years of trying to figure out why we remain down with so much tradition and resources, I've decided this is the #1 reason. This just isn't a rivalry any more, and having to (potentially) beat them twice to win the SEC title is an albatross around our neck.

2) Work with the league office to switch the traditional timing of the Kentucky game (Oct/Nov) with the Florida game (Sept): We would no longer start SEC play with a (near) automatic loss, and this would allow us gain momentum - I personally think we should do this regardless of 1 - it would be better for us and the league to have this game later (allows both teams to win early and gain higher AP rankings).

3) Work with the league office to switch Auburn to the East: follows easily from 1; this would saddle Auburn with the "beat Bama twice" albatross, which would doom them to 10+ years of mediocrity just like us.

4) Pick up a cross-divisional rivalry with Arkansas (let UGA have TAMU and USCe can have Mizzou) - We have been the Arky of the east for 15+ years, and they are a natural rival. This would be an easy sell to the league office at this point in our history, and we could beat Arky regularly going forward.

5) Make a commitment to having the largest pool of cash available for recruiting and for assistant coaching hires in the SEC - I think we already have this one (I'm convinced Currie is doing this).

I think we'd like where we found ourselves in a few years with that approach.

Tennessee would be an incredibly attractive job, and the path to winning the SEC would be much clearer.

If this coaching hire gets sideways and we wind up with Brohm or Bobo, I think more fans would sign onto my plan.

Jones brought some moments of hope and excitement. Too bad he couldn't get us there.

Explain how a guy who has a .500 winning percentage at Syracuse and in the NFL is a home run hire.

He's had good experience coaching in the NFL as position coach and head coach. Had some success in college. Has coached at Tennessee and has ties to the state. By all accounts has hard work ethic and is an exceptional coach at the highest level.

I think he could do very well here.

If I were king of the hill, here's the steps I'd take to get Tennessee football back. It requires sucking up some pride, but I think it would work.

1) End the Alabama cross-divisional rivalry: after years of trying to figure out why we remain down with so much tradition and resources, I've decided this is the #1 reason. This just isn't a rivalry any more, and having to (potentially) beat them twice to win the SEC title is an albatross around our neck.

2) Work with the league office to switch the traditional timing of the Kentucky game (Oct/Nov) with the Florida game (Sept): We would no longer start SEC play with a (near) automatic loss, and this would allow us gain momentum - I personally think we should do this regardless of 1 - it would be better for us and the league to have this game later (allows both teams to win early and gain higher AP rankings).

3) Work with the league office to switch Auburn to the East: follows easily from 1; this would saddle Auburn with the "beat Bama twice" albatross, which would doom them to 10+ years of mediocrity just like us.

4) Pick up a cross-divisional rivalry with Arkansas (let UGA have TAMU and USCe can have Mizzou) - We have been the Arky of the east for 15+ years, and they are a natural rival. This would be an easy sell to the league office at this point in our history, and we could beat Arky regularly going forward.

5) Make a commitment to having the largest pool of cash available for recruiting and for assistant coaching hires in the SEC - I think we already have this one (I'm convinced Currie is doing this).

I think we'd like where we found ourselves in a few years with that approach.

Tennessee would be an incredibly attractive job, and the path to winning the SEC would be much clearer.

If this coaching hire gets sideways and we wind up with Brohm or Bobo, I think more fans would sign onto my plan.

I want a coach that won't run and hide from Bama.

Reactions: 7 people
Jones brought some moments of hope and excitement. Too bad he couldn't get us there.

Agreed. I have more positive memories out of the Jones era than the Dooley era. In fact, I don't have any out of the Dooley era except perhaps the NC State game and Cordarelle Patterson in general.

With Jones, we saw some all-time UT greats (Dobbs, Barnett, E. Berry at kick return) and some memorable wins over USC, UGA and UF. The bowl games were always fun as well. I don't have hard feelings, now that it's over.

Also the info. about Currie using Fulmer and Peyton that Hyams dropped is exactly what we (can't remember who all joined me) were theorizing about last week when I asked if Currie had anyone he could use the same way Mal Moore used his nephew to communicate with Saban.

I know that the press acts like VOLS are nothing compared to Florida, but they don't have somebody representing them like Peyton Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back