Recruiting forum off topic thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This made me laugh. I would have never gotten that impression, but I guess I jumped the gun and didn't draw a clear line when my jimmies got all rustled. So, apologies on not being clear, and for jumping down people's throats. Oh, I completely agree with the New Orleans comparison, but we do have the best BBQ. There is a lot of bad in Memphis. It is, however, my home. And right now, I am missing it dearly.

sloth-cat-shh-no-tears-just-dreams.gif

Reactions: 5 people
You've been asking to get trolled for like 3 pages now. I'd say you more than deserve some serious trolling at this point.

We get it. You're proud of Memphis. It's just that most of us view it as a cancer to the state and for most of the reasons you've admitted. We're saying the realities of Memphis are an embarrassment, but for some reason, you acknowledge them but disregard the negatives due to your feelings for the city. "Because I was born there," is not a valid response to these guys' criticism.

I see where you are coming from. Let me back up. Memphis is terribly corrupt and broken. It absolutely needs cleaned up. I just wanted just a bit less blatant disrespect. I'm not trying to champion Memphis as this amazing, fantastic city (other than it's basketball and BBQ, and some other things that endear it to me, personally). I agree with the cheap man's New Orleans comparison. I just feel people were taking it a little bit too far, and admit I went overboard.

This made me laugh. I would have never gotten that impression, but I guess I jumped the gun and didn't draw a clear line when my jimmies got all rustled. So, apologies on not being clear, and for jumping down people's throats. Oh, I completely agree with the New Orleans comparison, but we do have the best BBQ. There is a lot of bad in Memphis. It is, however, my home. And right now, I am missing it dearly.

Memphis is good for five things- Elvis, Sun Studio, Beale St., Grizzlies, and BBQ.

The rest can be seen on "the First 48."

Reactions: 2 people
You've been asking to get trolled for like 3 pages now. I'd say you more than deserve some serious trolling at this point.

We get it. You're proud of Memphis. It's just that most of us view it as a cancer to the state and for most of the reasons you've admitted. We're saying the realities of Memphis are an embarrassment, but for some reason, you acknowledge them but disregard the negatives due to your feelings for the city. "Because I was born there," is not a valid response to these guys' criticism.

East Tennessee born and raised, lived in Memphis for a few years in my mid-20s after graduating from UT, and now live in Nashville in my early 30s. I don't want to move away from Nashville ever, but if I had to choose between Memphis and Knoxville, I would have a hard time making up my mind. I truly enjoyed my time in Memphis, and while there are problems there to be sure, for the most part they are the city's own, and don't degrade other parts of Tennessee, as many in this thread seem to think.

For all of it's negatives, Memphis offers unique cultural and historical opportunities, the state's highest ranked company in the Fortune 500, St. Jude, an NBA team, among other things. I'm glad Memphis is a part of Tennessee.

JMO.

Reactions: 3 people
There are the homeschool families that are very strange. I've met my fair share.

But take it from someone who was homeschooled K-12, homeschooling generally provides an excellent education.

I said this is the helm thread before it got nuked/locked wherever it is... I was homeschooled until I went to college and was a very advanced student. Aced algebra 1 when I was 11, graduated high school a year early, and finished my freshman year of college before I turned 18.

I had plenty of friends throughout middle and high school; had plenty of friends in college.

I graduated college with a 3.9 gpa, 2 weeks later went to work for one of the worlds premier financial firms, and didn't miss a beat in the entire development.

Helm is probably a super bright kid, and yeah may be homesick because he's so used to home. But it's pretty lame to see people bashing the kid like he's a scared puppy. Scott is homesick but wasn't homeschooled... Is his public school an issue?

Anyway.. Stepping down off my soapbox. Let the kid make the decision that's right for him. I wish he'd stay, but it appears being close to family tops UT football for him.

Me too! But... We're grownups now. :good!:

(Just joshing ya face.)

Attachments

• thumb.png
    thumb.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 131
East Tennessee born and raised, lived in Memphis for a few years in my mid-20s after graduating from UT, and now live in Nashville in my early 30s. I don't want to move away from Nashville ever, but if I had to choose between Memphis and Knoxville, I would have a hard time making up my mind. I truly enjoyed my time in Memphis, and while there are problems there to be sure, for the most part they are the city's own, and don't degrade other parts of Tennessee, as many in this thread seem to think.

For all of it's negatives, Memphis offers unique cultural and historical opportunities, the state's highest ranked company in the Fortune 500, St. Jude, an NBA team, among other things. I'm glad Memphis is a part of Tennessee.

JMO.

Memphis can absolutely be a great city. It was once, and it has potential. Just soooo much corruption. It was sad watching it go downhill while I was growing up. There's hope showing up in some places, but it is going to be a long process to get it where it should be.

Judge's ruling......can't give you Timberlake credit....technically from Millington.😊

Technically Elvis is from Tupelo, but Memphis gets the credit with him. JT associates himself with Memphis, he's a minority owner of the Grizz, built and owns his own (really nice) golf course in Memphis. Besides, Milington is pretty much a suburb of Memphis. JT looooves him some Memphis.

G. FedEx makes Memphis the most economically profitable city (along with being the largest) in the state of Tennessee.

Genuinely curious where you got the stat that it is the most economically profitable city. While FedEx is huge, I don't see it is higher than Nashville with all the healthcare companies, Bridgestone, Nissan, Cracker Barrel, Dollar General, Tractor Supply. I realize Memphis has a few other big corporations such as Autozone, International Paper, and First Horizon.

Also technically Nashville is a bigger metro than Memphis

JMO.

I completely agree with this statement. I am about ten years older; born in upper east Tennessee, lived in Knoxville for five years in the 80's, moved to Memphis in 98-01, and now in Nashville area. I would have a hard time choosing to move Knoxville v. Memphis anymore. This post is exactly on point IMHO.

Genuinely curious where you got the stat that it is the most economically profitable city. While FedEx is huge, I don't see it is higher than Nashville with all the healthcare companies, Bridgestone, Nissan, Cracker Barrel, Dollar General, Tractor Supply. I realize Memphis has a few other big corporations such as Autozone, International Paper, and First Horizon.

Yes, Nashville/Williamson Co. is much more affluent. That is why the Titans are here. Don't forget HCA.

Yeah I know they are more affluent I mean Williamson is one of the richest in the country. I included HCA in my healthcare companies with ones like Lifepoint, Parallon (HCA spinoff)

I see where you are coming from. Let me back up. Memphis is terribly corrupt and broken. It absolutely needs cleaned up. I just wanted just a bit less blatant disrespect. I'm not trying to champion Memphis as this amazing, fantastic city (other than it's basketball and BBQ, and some other things that endear it to me, personally). I agree with the cheap man's New Orleans comparison. I just feel people were taking it a little bit too far, and admit I went overboard.

Fair, measured response. You get a pass. Just be careful at lashing in defense, it doesn't tend to end well on the internet, particularly around here.

That is an impressive list of companies, and Nashville is closing in on Memphis for top dog as far as largest city, but Memphis is still on top by roughly 30,000. And that's after losing population since 2007. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation, but it's not quite top dog yet. Memphis has been bleeding population, and thus income, for a decade, whereas Nashville is growing greatly. In 2007, it wasn't really even close, since, then, Nashville has closed considerably. But like I said, not quite top dog YET

That is an impressive list of companies, and Nashville is closing in on Memphis for top dog as far as largest city, but Memphis is still on top by roughly 30,000. And that's after losing population since 2007. Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation, but it's not quite top dog yet. Memphis has been bleeding population, and thus income, for a decade, whereas Nashville is growing greatly. In 2007, it wasn't really even close, since, then, Nashville has closed considerably. But like I said, not quite top dog YET

Nashville has been the largest metro in the state since 1990

List of metropolitan areas of Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it is wikipedia so sue me

Yes, Nashville/Williamson Co. is much more affluent. That is why the Titans are here. Don't forget HCA.

Nashville really has done spectacularly over the past decade. It's gotten great publicity, great funding, and it has been smartly run. It's done a great job getting new industries moved in. Wish Memphis would take a moment to reinvest into it's industry. It was really the driving point that made Memphis popular in the first place. Now it's a cycle, we need money to fund our police force and education system, but no companies want to take part because we have a poor police force in comparison to the amount of gang activity and a poor education system. The county does great, but no one wants to tackle those dumpster fires. Not enough hard nosed progressives and too many corrupt conservatives. Needs new blood.

Nashville has the largest metro, Memphis is still the largest city. Push.

Not really sure it's a push a metro area is a better indicator of actual size, seeing as how williamson is not part of Nashville population but is a large workforce location and provider for the city

Not really sure it's a push a metro area is a better indicator of actual size, seeing as how williamson is not part of Nashville population but is a large workforce location and provider for the city

True. I'm not sure if they include North MS and West Memphis, Arkansas into the metro area. Desoto County is top 5 in the fastest growing counties in the country

Edit: It does. Good call

Technically Elvis is from Tupelo, but Memphis gets the credit with him. JT associates himself with Memphis, he's a minority owner of the Grizz, built and owns his own (really nice) golf course in Memphis. Besides, Milington is pretty much a suburb of Memphis. JT looooves him some Memphis.

Grew up in west Tn, lived in Memphis for 8 years as an adult, aware of where both were born, worked in and around Millington for years. Just having a bit of fun with you on the Timberlake remark.

Grew up in west Tn, lived in Memphis for 8 years as an adult, aware of where both were born, worked in and around Millington for years. Just having a bit of fun with you on the Timberlake remark.

Ahh, you got me. I bounced around from South Memphis to Germantown down to Olive Branch, so I got to see quite a wide spectrum of lifestyles. It's really weird how gritty South Memphis was, wary and prude Germantown was, and naive and innocent OB was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back