Remember the Loyola game in 2018

Savannahbayvol

Loyola has the ball, behind by 1 on their last possession. Ball goes out of bound and official signals Vols ball. However a REVIEW shows, correctly unfortunately , that it was off one of our players. Seconds later Loyola hits the winning shot that bounced on the rim 3 times before going in and win the game.

So why was that reviewable and the out of bounds last night that replays clearly showed was off Auburn was not?

1. Have they changed the rule from 6 years ago?

2. Different rules for the tourney?

3. Reviewable only if you have a 110 year old nun on your bench?(just kidding)

Thx

Loyola has the ball, behind by 1 on their last possession. Ball goes out of bound and official signals Vols ball. However a REVIEW shows, correctly unfortunately , that it was off one of our players. Seconds later Loyola hits the winning shot that bounced on the rim 3 times before going in and win the game.

So why was that reviewable and the out of bounds last night that replays clearly showed was off Auburn was not?

Thx
Has to be under 2 min for a review

Can’t review possession unless it’s under 2 minutes to go. Thats why it was not reviewed last night.
Thx guys. BS rule if you ask me. Auburn hit a 3 right after that so it was a 3 point and could have been a 5 point missed call turnaround. 5 points with 6 minutes to go count as much as 5 points with less than 2 to go.

I dont usually criticize the officials as I dont know how anyone can officiate a BB game but ZZ would have had to have a 96 inch wingspan to touch that ball. To the Vols credit they overcame the horrible call and still won.

If the refs had been honest, the one ref should have said, hey I don't know I got knocked into the 2 row of the stands. The other 2 should have said, I wasn't in position to see. Then, at that point couldn't they have gone to the monitor to review, given that they all 3 had a legit reason to not know. Or would it have gone to the possession arrow?

Reactions: HalfullVol
The Loyola call was a good call, but I think it's a stupid rule that you can only review within the last 2 minutes. Either be able to rule everything questionable or nothing at all.
Another rule that I despise is that at a break in a game they can go back and look if something was goaltending, a three point shot, etc. Stop the game right then or get rid of the rule.

Thx guys. BS rule if you ask me. Auburn hit a 3 right after that so it was a 3 point and could have been a 5 point missed call turnaround. 5 points with 6 minutes to go count as much as 5 points with less than 2 to go.

I dont usually criticize the officials as I dont know how anyone can officiate a BB game but ZZ would have had to have a 96 inch wingspan to touch that ball. To the Vols credit they overcame the horrible call and still won.
You really want refs reviewing every out of bounds call throughout the entire game?

You really want refs reviewing every out of bounds call throughout the entire game?
Is every out of bounds play in the last 2 minutes reviewed? Not real bright are you. I want the best team to win mot lose on an obvious bad call. It would have taken a half second to review that call. I agree with the previous post, all or none.

Refs already spend enough time at scorers table reviewing possible flagrant fouls.

Might as well add another 20 minutes for who touched the ball last..

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Mystery solved.

rainn-wilson-mystery-solved.gif

The Loyola call was a good call, but I think it's a stupid rule that you can only review within the last 2 minutes. Either be able to rule everything questionable or nothing at all.
Another rule that I despise is that at a break in a game they can go back and look if something was goaltending, a three point shot, etc. Stop the game right then or get rid of the rule.
I’m almost at the point to limit the reviews to coaches appeal (2 per half). Refs spend too much time over there looking for made up crap.

But they can go back and look at a shot to make sure a toe is not on the three point line.😉
They can go back and add 2 points if a GT call is reversed (or take them away) or add or delete a point if a foot is on the line or not “after the fact” in a TV timeout. You can’t “reverse” possession minutes after the fact. It has to be in real time.

It is stupid to over-emphasize the last 2 minutes of the game. That potential 5 point swing ABSOLUTELY could have cost us the game (my BVS was convinced it would). I agree we shouldn’t get into reviewing every play but it seems like that would be something perfect to implement a coach’s challenge for. Maybe limit it to 1 per half and the ability to carry over if you don’t use it in the first half? I would also love for them to be able to challenge block/charge or some of the BS foul calls. I’m not sure the egocentric asshats on the floor would ever admit they were wrong so maybe someone from the league office?

Just seems like there should be SOME process for the super egregious errors like last night.

Reactions: Zues1

I agree. I think it’s silly to act as if a momentous decision isn’t important enough to get correct if it is outside of two minutes. It’s not like all the points scored before the last two minutes don’t count. They could have sec office or someone buzzing down for calls like that. There wouldn’t be that many questionable reviewable calls in a game to worry about time delays, and basketball is already a much shorter game than football or baseball.

Thx

We really missed Kyle Alexander's shot blocking presence in that game.

That team would have made an Elite 8 or Final Four run.

no , not really, real question is how in the hell did he miss that call. It wasn't even close
No doubt. It was beyond awful. The fact that Pearl hit it before it was actually out of bounds was just icing on the cake of that turd sandwich of a sequence for the refs.

VN Store

Back