Retirement of Nick Saban

There was a big drop off years after Bear Bryant retired.

We're just lucky they didn't hire Bowden.

Can you imagine a world where Bama goes from Bryant to Bowden to Saban (and yes, I know things almost certainly don't shake out the same way).

alabama went through a bad run after stallings with a bunch of bad coaches: dubose, mike price (short-term), shula--when nick leaves, hopefully they hire another dud.

Saban and Meyer are light years ahead of any other coach in the u.s.---not much other teams can do about it.

The Saban difference is this: First, he's the boss. He knows he's good and he knows his system is the best. Therefore he pretty much tells admin and AD at Bama to pay me and then get the hell out of my way. And they do because he's badass enough to walk away if someone wants to get up in his grill.

Second, he doesn't hire "friends". It's 100% business. Period. Again, he goes out and hires the absolute best coordinators and asst coaches. Hey Bama, pay my guys too and then get out of my way! And make no mistake, those assistant coaches are not his buds. It's his way or the highway and you better produce superior results. Mediocrity has no place in Sabans life. There is no just hoping to get better. Produce. Now. Which also means coaching his guys up better than anyone else.

Third, and maybe most importantly is recruiting. There seems to be no end to five star guys willing to line up behind 2 or 3 other five star guys at the same position and simply wait their turn. Why, because now I think they know they're playing for a legend and the program has sold itself forever. I hate Bama to be sure, but I respect the hell
Out of Saban and how he runs that program. It is THE bar. Almost no one will be able to achieve it. This is not a slam on Butch. We're at 1/2 strength due to injuries and we clearly all know where our recruiting needs are. Ill take where we are now vs two or three or four years ago. But as long as Saban is at Bama, it doesn't change much for us.

Reactions: 9 people
can other sec coaches kick in another million each---nick will take the texas job for $23 million.
They offered him a $100M contract after they fired Mack Brown. I think Saban will Coach at least another five or six years. Then Dabo will take over.

He is recruiting ALL of the top players which does 2 things for him. 1. He has a 5 star team top top bottom. 2. He keeps players away from other teams by having them set on his bench waiting. Hurting the SEC parity.

Florida say hi.

So you just compared Florida to Alabama? I can only guess that you are younger than 30, because only that generation is of the belief that Florida has this longstanding tradition of excellence.

Florida before Spurrier was Kentucky.

Reactions: 10 people
Before Saban Alabama was never this good ALL THE TIME. And Kentucky had success but they never signed classes full of 5* players like they do. Be realistic. Yes they are both going to see a drop off after the coaches leave. The worst thing that could possibly ever happen is if Saban and Calipari were coaching at the same school.

I admitted they won't be raking #1 class after #1 class (most likely), but they aren't just going to fold up and drop off into middle-tier SEC programs, especially immediately. Both programs will hire top-notch coaches who will likely continue the success of their predessors. Will it be at the exact same level? No, probably not, but they aren't going to fade into oblivion without NCAA sanctions or they just bomb the next hire.

He's going to be at bama another 5 years. Hopefully he'll just get bored and go away.

He is recruiting ALL of the top players which does 2 things for him. 1. He has a 5 star team top top bottom. 2. He keeps players away from other teams by having them set on his bench waiting. Hurting the SEC parity.

Ehhhh, that's more of a Bear Bryant thing. Nick has an 85 limit on schollys like everyone else. Which is one reason why I think he is a better coach than Bryant ever was.

Saban is one of a kind. As soon as he came back from the Dolphins I knew we were doomed. I just hope there's a dropoff after he's gone.

Reactions: 1 person
Saban isn't going anywhere. He's the fairy king of the deep south.

He has probably 7 more years left.

And probably 4 more national championships.

I have a idea. Why don't we just make the right hires and recruit well enough to beat him at some point.

Right now we can't compete with them on the field, on the sidelines, and we're certainly not out recruiting them.. Hard to compete when you're totally outclassed.

We were one play away from winning last year.

Reactions: 2 people
Look what happened to Florida when Meyer left, Memphis when Calipari left, USC when Pete Carroll left. I'm not dreaming it has happened before. No one will ever match Nick Saban.

Florida football and Memphis basketball are not even close to Alabama football.

USC is the only comparable example you have, and it took unprecedented NCAA sanctions and two terrible coaching hires to wreck that ship.

I'm not saying Bama is just going to throw around millions of dollars and automatically find the next Saban. He's maybe the greatest HC of all time. But there isn't going to be this sudden dropoff to 7-5, 8-4 type seasons the minute he retires. They will still have too much talent and unless they just wet the bed on the next coaching hire, even just competent coaching should keep them in contention.

I would expect them to drop off to a similar level as LSU did after Saban left. They'll still be a 10- 2, 9- 3 level team that competes for the West and the SEC every year. But I don't expect them to remain this far ahead of the rest of the conference.

VN Store

Back