Rickea Jackson drafted #4 by Los Angeles!

No one else broke those records or hit such tv ready shots as the logo 3s. People are pretty simple, and that stuff draws us in. Then the networks build on the interest and the cycle begins. I'm aware you think there's a racial component, and no doubt some marketers are glad it's a straight white girl with no tatoos. But where we differ is I think if an AA player broke those records and made those shots and they'd push her too. Long as she was straight presenting and didn't have excessive tattos. Just like they diid Angel.
Was Kelsey Plum an All American when she broke the record?

Was Kelsey Plum an All American when she broke the record?
I think so, why? Those were different times. If the networks had the structure or thought they could draw this much interest, I'm sure they would have pushed KP the way they did CC.

Alot of the attention on both CC and Angel came from the noteriaty around last year's FF, which is sad. But fortunately, most of the renewed interest stayed around and even grew when everyone behaved much better this year.

This is gonna sound insane, but right now, with as big a need that the WNBA has to get more popular and lucrative than it has been so far, it might behoove GMs to get together and maybe decide to tell their coaches not to have their teams try so super damn hard to "put the rookie in her place," but instead maybe not constantly have someone guarding her for 94 feet game in and game out.

The WNBA and all those jealous veterans NEED Clark to make some of those logo threes and dazzling passes a few times a game! They'll be stupid if they try to crush her spirit and her game, 'cause they really don't need for fans to abandon Clark.

Now, I'm not saying opposing coaches should sit back and watch their teams get smacked by her often enough to lose. Of course not. That would be stupid and would cost jobs.

I'm just saying the vets need to ratchet down the desire to try to make a kid who has done nothing but honor and praise the greats who've come before her look bad constantly. It's better for everyone if Clark does well at the pro level. Hope she does, and I hope it leads to every franchise getting a huge boost in fanship.
I think the biggest disrespect you can show to an elite baller is to go easy on her. Sure, these veterans seem a bit insecure, but Clark is tough and can handle the challenge.

I think the biggest disrespect you can show to an elite baller is to go easy on her. Sure, these veterans seem a bit insecure, but Clark is tough and can handle the challenge.

You clearly are missing the point. There are veteran players chomping at the bit to knock her down in a way that noone has ever been knocked down before. It's not right or fair to be that way to the kid.

Now, if there are coaches who routinely face-guard the opposing point guard the entire length of the floor for 40 minutes, then I see nothing at all wrong with doing it to Clark just the same as everyone else.

But the level to which the rumors suggest she'll be hounded is just plain ugly and uncalled for. Like I said in my original post, I am NOT suggesting letting Clark go off on your team and beating you. I just don't see the value in going the extra 100,000 miles to try to humiliate her like some would like to see happen.

Do you?

You clearly are missing the point. There are veteran players chomping at the bit to knock her down in a way that noone has ever been knocked down before. It's not right or fair to be that way to the kid.

Now, if there are coaches who routinely face-guard the opposing point guard the entire length of the floor for 40 minutes, then I see nothing at all wrong with doing it to Clark just the same as everyone else.

But the level to which the rumors suggest she'll be hounded is just plain ugly and uncalled for. Like I said in my original post, I am NOT suggesting letting Clark go off on your team and beating you. I just don't see the value in going the extra 100,000 miles to try to humiliate her like some would like to see happen.

Do you?
For one thing, a few of the vets have fragile egos already dialed to 10 on all this and if they were asked to back off in any way you'd have a full scale player mutiny on your hands. Also, even a tiny hint of "fixing" is too much; starts to feel like WWE. Cannot mess in even this small way with the integrity of the game.

The players who are hooting and hollering are aware CC could be their ticket to charter flights and better salaries. And they do not care. Lots of aging egos and job worries mixed in with some racial and gender resentment regarding representation.

The good news is I think all this will settle down fairly soon after the games start. Everyone will just do their job,

Do you?

Taurasi's going to give her customary "welcome to the W" hard fouls, as she does with every rookie, but she's not Tonya Harding. I think people will go at her and she'll survive it, that's the consequence of being a great player. Clark's attitude about the league is so much better than the majority handwringing on her behalf. To suggest people let up on her defensively is mind boggling to me, and I can guarantee she'd be offended by that.

Taurasi's going to give her customary "welcome to the W" hard fouls, as she does with every rookie, but she's not Tonya Harding. I think people will go at her and she'll survive it, that's the consequence of being a great player. Clark's attitude about the league is so much better than the majority handwringing on her behalf. To suggest people let up on her defensively is mind boggling to me, and I can guarantee she'd be offended by that.

When is the last time ANY player was face-guarded 94 feet for 40 minutes?

This is gonna sound insane, but right now, with as big a need that the WNBA has to get more popular and lucrative than it has been so far, it might behoove GMs to get together and maybe decide to tell their coaches not to have their teams try so super damn hard to "put the rookie in her place," but instead maybe not constantly have someone guarding her for 94 feet game in and game out.

The WNBA and all those jealous veterans NEED Clark to make some of those logo threes and dazzling passes a few times a game! They'll be stupid if they try to crush her spirit and her game, 'cause they really don't need for fans to abandon Clark.

Now, I'm not saying opposing coaches should sit back and watch their teams get smacked by her often enough to lose. Of course not. That would be stupid and would cost jobs.

I'm just saying the vets need to ratchet down the desire to try to make a kid who has done nothing but honor and praise the greats who've come before her look bad constantly. It's better for everyone if Clark does well at the pro level. Hope she does, and I hope it leads to every franchise getting a huge boost in fanship.
Mmm.. Clark is no angel. I’ll look forward to her being put in her place a bit.

They should just play defense like NBA teams play defense: Clark will then get her shots and her points.

Reactions: brittannica
I give up. There's not much understanding of nuance on this board, that's for sure. 🙄

For one thing, a few of the vets have fragile egos already dialed to 10 on all this and if they were asked to back off in any way you'd have a full scale player mutiny on your hands. Also, even a tiny hint of "fixing" is too much; starts to feel like WWE. Cannot mess in even this small way with the integrity of the game.

The players who are hooting and hollering are aware CC could be their ticket to charter flights and better salaries. And they do not care. Lots of aging egos and job worries mixed in with some racial and gender resentment regarding representation.

The good news is I think all this will settle down fairly soon after the games start. Everyone will just do their job,
I mean that is it. The unprecedented level of Clark hype has put all the vet players' "pride" on high alert-- "Clark is not gonna go off on me or my team!!!!"

I do think the media and mainstream sports culture have moved past the "great white hope" phase. NBC had no problem making the Simone Biles the face of their Olympic coverage or Steph Curry the face of the NBA.

Clark is interesting because she is not a cover girl, like Brinks, or Rickea, or Kelsey Plum, or going back Candace who made People magazines most beautiful list. Caitlin is kind of an everywoman. She is a bit taller than average, but not 6-7 and she does not have one of those "designed in a lab"athletic bodies and has the classic girl next door vibe. I can see why lots of tweener and teen girls identify with her. When Caitlin says, if I can do it, you can do it, that sounds authentic. If Candace said something like that in her prime, it would be like okay, but your 6-4, with an incredible vertical leap and a body handed down from Mount Olympus and I am not....

Last edited:

VN Store

Back