Rickea Jackson drafted #4 by Los Angeles!

I'd say Angel is a W player you can build with, not around. And the attributes you mentioned are exactly what the draft analysts were talking about, intangibles, including her fame. Not her game. But no one ever said she'd be drafted because of these, but that she moved several places up in the draft because of them. Based on game, most have had her late first round at best for a long time.
Most of who had her where? Chicago moved up a spot to get her, so the people that matter and was picking picked her where they wanted her, I don’t go on what a Mock Draft says, the only people that matter are the teams that was picking. Now if u want to talk about so called fame, I’ve heard Clark would go number one because of ticket sales and fame, but somehow that’s not mentioned.

Reactions: madtownvol
I'm going to give Kellie some grace here and say she didn't want the fired coach narrative to interfer with Rickea's big night. Holly Rowe would have had that mic in KJH face digging for tears in a nanosecond.

Exactly.

Yesterday at some point I mentioned I hoped Kellie was feeling up to going because I know Rickea and Kellie care very much about one another, but then by the time the show started I'd become terrified she might actually be there, for the reasons you stated. You know she's instantly recognizable in the world of women's basketball, so it would have been awful if there'd been well-meaning people walking up to her on Rickea's day to tell her how sorry they were she was let go from her dream job. Ouch. And yes, I doubt ESPN would have been able to resist a mention of it. Maybe they'd have had enough sense not to, but it would have been risky to be there.

How 'bout RJ with the wardrobe change?! 😅 She and Rae will be in direct competition on the basketball court and in the court of opinion of who's the sharpest dresser.

I wouldn't put anything past ESPN after they televised a football game featuring a fake high school (who got slaughtered in front of a national audience). ESPN didn't do even the most rudimentary pre-scheduling investigation, and they lost all credibility in my eyes.

An interesting although sad documentary did result from the exposure. Worthwhile but hard watch.

Reactions: glv98
Most of who had her where? Chicago moved up a spot to get her, so the people that matter and was picking picked her where they wanted her, I don’t go on what a Mock Draft says, the only people that matter are the teams that was picking. Now if u want to talk about so called fame, I’ve heard Clark would go number one because of ticket sales and fame, but somehow that’s not mentioned.
On that topic, Indiana fever did not make the playoffs last season but last night ESPN announced they were broadcasting 90% of their games this season. Does that happen without Clark? What sre the odds that espn and fever management made plans prior to the draft? Insane to think that celebrity and its impact on media attention, and merch and ticket sales is not a draft factor .

On that topic, Indiana fever did not make the playoffs last season but last night ESPN announced they were broadcasting 90% of their games this season. Does that happen without Clark? What sre the odds that espn and fever management made plans prior to the draft? Insane to think that celebrity and its impact on media attention, and merch and ticket sales is not a draft factor .
Well ESPN was the main station that promoted her all year for this main reason, I don’t even go looking for things about Clark but the sports station kept talking about her like they wanted to promote her to become more popular than someone else. But none of that matters anyway, they will promote and probably get the viewers in the beginning but will they stick around? Do u think people would be tuning in if they didn’t promote her all year? Trust me nobody would care.

Well ESPN was the main station that promoted her all year for this main reason, I don’t even go looking for things about Clark but the sports station kept talking about her like they wanted to promote her to become more popular than someone else. But none of that matters anyway, they will promote and probably get the viewers in the beginning but will they stick around? Do u think people would be tuning in if they didn’t promote her all year? Trust me nobody would care.
Not sure what you point is here. Yes, ESPN has made an investment in Clark. That was the point of my post which was that celebrity and its benefits are something that can effect a player's draft stock.

But, Clark was not just any player to promote. I don;t think ESPN could have made Haley Van Lith into a national phenom if they had tried. Clark' shot making, passing, record breaking, and leading her team to consecutive title games were the fire that generated all that media smoke.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Yes, madtown, it's incredible the impact Clark is already having on the W. Fever announced late yesterday that every size of her jersey (I'm assuming they had a slew of them ordered well before yesterday) had sold out already.

There's never, IMO, been a bigger celebrity in women's basketball than Clark. It's wonderful how many more people her game has inspired to give women's basketball a look-see.

And nobody is saying the greats from the past, including several former Lady Vols, weren't unbelievably talented and famous for their time. They were amazing and gott lots and lots of fame and admiration. But even among THE most famous of them all, none were as famous as Clark is in this particular moment. I don't know. She has really spread like wildfire.

Not sure what you point is here. Yes, ESPN has made an investment in Clark. That was the point of my post which was that celebrity and its benefits are something that can effect a player's draft stock.

But, Clark was not just any player to promote. I don;t think ESPN could have made Haley Van Lith into a national phenom if they had tried. Clark' shot making, passing, record breaking, and leading her team to consecutive title games were the fire that generated all that media smoke.
If they promoted Juju Watkins the same way, she would have had the viewership as well.

Reactions: Knoxvol14
Yes, madtown, it's incredible the impact Clark is already having on the W. Fever announced late yesterday that every size of her jersey (I'm assuming they had a slew of them ordered well before yesterday) had sold out already.

There's never, IMO, been a bigger celebrity in women's basketball than Clark. It's wonderful how many more people her game has inspired to give women's basketball a look-see.

And nobody is saying the greats from the past, including several former Lady Vols, weren't unbelievably talented and famous for their time. They were amazing and gott lots and lots of fame and admiration. But even among THE most famous of them all, none were as famous as Clark is in this particular moment. I don't know. She has really spread like wildfire.
It will be fascinating to see how she holds up to the weight of these incredibly lofty expectations. ESPN reported that she is the odds on favorite to win MVP and rookie of the year (a feat last accomplished by our very own CP3). I am confident that Clark will be an all-time great but I doubt she will be putting up Iowa-level scoring numbers as a rookie. I suspect she will be more likely to finish higher in the assist rankings than scoring.

Last edited:
Maybe, although (imo) it was the shooting range and pinpoint passing that drew the eyes.

Didn't hurt to make the Finals in consecutive years.
that is really what set her apart. JuJu will benefit from the overall increased attention to the women's game but she will have to put up consistently eye popping numbers to generate Clark-level buzz.

It will be fascinating to see how she holds up to the weight of these incredibly lofty expectations. ESPN reported that she is the odds on favorite to win MVP and rookie of the year (a feat last accomplished by our very own CP3). I am confident that Clark will be an all-time great but I doubt sure she will be putting up Iowa-level scoring numbers at the start. I suspect she will be more likely to finish higher in the assist rankings than scoring.

This is gonna sound insane, but right now, with as big a need that the WNBA has to get more popular and lucrative than it has been so far, it might behoove GMs to get together and maybe decide to tell their coaches not to have their teams try so super damn hard to "put the rookie in her place," but instead maybe not constantly have someone guarding her for 94 feet game in and game out.

The WNBA and all those jealous veterans NEED Clark to make some of those logo threes and dazzling passes a few times a game! They'll be stupid if they try to crush her spirit and her game, 'cause they really don't need for fans to abandon Clark.

Now, I'm not saying opposing coaches should sit back and watch their teams get smacked by her often enough to lose. Of course not. That would be stupid and would cost jobs.

I'm just saying the vets need to ratchet down the desire to try to make a kid who has done nothing but honor and praise the greats who've come before her look bad constantly. It's better for everyone if Clark does well at the pro level. Hope she does, and I hope it leads to every franchise getting a huge boost in fanship.

This is gonna sound insane, but right now, with as big a need that the WNBA has to get more popular and lucrative than it has been so far, it might behoove GMs to get together and maybe decide to tell their coaches not to have their teams try so super damn hard to "put the rookie in her place," but instead maybe not constantly have someone guarding her for 94 feet game in and game out.

The WNBA and all those jealous veterans NEED Clark to make some of those logo threes and dazzling passes a few times a game! They'll be stupid if they try to crush her spirit and her game, 'cause they really don't need for fans to abandon Clark.

Now, I'm not saying opposing coaches should sit back and watch their teams get smacked by her often enough to lose. Of course not. That would be stupid and would cost jobs.

I'm just saying the vets need to ratchet down the desire to try to make a kid who has done nothing but honor and praise the greats who've come before her look bad constantly. It's better for everyone if Clark does well at the pro level. Hope she does, and I hope it leads to every franchise getting a huge boost in fanship.
Agreed. I don't recall hearing Taurasi and the gang talk this way about any other top pick in prior years. Jealously is not a good look. and its bad for business....

Reactions: lvocd

Only thing I’m worried about is Rickea hitting those sweet fade aways and getting rookie of the year.

Agreed. I don't recall hearing Taurasi and the gang talk this way about any other top pick. Jealously is not a good look.....
I don’t like Taurasi but no other player got this kind of push or promotion, I’m sure she wouldn’t have said anything if they wasn’t talking about her so much.

I don’t like Taurasi but no other player got this kind of push or promotion, I’m sure she wouldn’t have said anything if they wasn’t talking about her so much.
Yeah, "but we are gonna crush this kid!!!" is kind of an ethos for killing the Golden Goose. Taurasi is nearly done so she may not care about the future of the league...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yeah, "but we are gonna crush this kid!!!" is kind of an ethos for killing the Golden Goose. Taurasi is nearly done so she may not care about the future of the league...
That’s promotion as well, all the media will be there when they play each other, it’s all for the hype, I don’t think it’s that serious.

No one else broke those records or hit such tv ready shots as the logo 3s. People are pretty simple, and that stuff draws us in. Then the networks build on the interest and the cycle begins. I'm aware you think there's a racial component, and no doubt some marketers are glad it's a straight white girl with no tatoos. But where we differ is I think if an AA player broke those records and made those shots and they'd push her too. Long as she was straight presenting and didn't have excessive tattos. Just like they diid Angel.

VN Store

Back