Ridiculed for taking time?

Yeah but you have to get the head of the company settled in before the company can hire a Vp. First, no one should have thought we would hire an ad before the chancellor. Second, it's an ad position with a working ad already in place. Third, it's an ad. Not a hc.

I don't understand your viewpoint at all. If your argument is they have a working AD can't the same be said about the chancellor? Cheek announced way ahead of time too.

Let's face it....this shouldn't be an 9-10 month process for the hire of chancellor or an AD.

Didn't Hart's timeline have him retiring this Spring? If so, why would you hire someone in the fall a and have 2 ADs? Why would you offer a job that can't be accepted for 6 months? Would right now be about the right time to start the search (soon offers) in order to hit the time Hart retires in order to be seamless?

Serious questions. We have an active AD.

Seamless seems extremely inaccurate given now is when coaching hires take place. They tend to prefer having a clue on who will run the department.

All the committees,their meetings and search firms, definitely should have already bean established. We should have the search narrowed to a few. We should be ready to offer and announce.

Absolutely nothing wrong with making the job offer at this point. That time frame is very reasonable considering people have to move their entire families before starting. This isn't switching fom Arby's to Wendy's.

I don't understand your viewpoint at all. If your argument is they have a working AD can't the same be said about the chancellor? Cheek announced way ahead of time too.

Let's face it....this shouldn't be an 9-10 month process for the hire of chancellor or an AD.

But the chancellor has to be hired first. You can't hire a db coach without a hc.

Reactions: 1 person
Rushing? Lol. How long have they known Hart was on the way out? They don't have a successor in place; they don't even have a plan to look for a successor in place. This is completely incompetent and quite frankly inexcusable for a department that generates so much revenue for the university. You allow that revenue stream to go without leadership and not even have a plan for replacing the AD?

lol

That depends - if a chancellor is being fired - yes you replace him/her right away - but retiring no. Just because someone is retiring doesn't mean they stop doing their job.

There is no crisis right now at UT - so no need to hurry up with a decision.

Some of you folks in panic mode crack me up. You all do realize that you are feeding the media frenzy over this. Media loves you folks that love to complain. They can pitch a story, any story and you all will take it and run with it.

Reactions: 3 people
Dear Count, why don't you crawl in a hole and rot? People get sick of your constant bi**hib and negativity. Why not pull for a different team? You obviously hate ours. You are probably a loser in real life as well.

wow

My thoughts are they knew this was coming. Hart didn't just quit. Look competent for once.

I don't understand why Hart announced publicly so early. He doesn't even leave for six more months so no reason to hurry and announce.

I don't understand why Hart announced publicly so early. He doesn't even leave for six more months so no reason to hurry and announce.

This would have worked very well also.
Get through hiring season, then announce. That's a much better transition and no one would have any reason for concern. I'm sure Battle made it known well ahead but no publicity and that was an extremely smooth transition.

Some of you folks in panic mode crack me up. You all do realize that you are feeding the media frenzy over this. Media loves you folks that love to complain. They can pitch a story, any story and you all will take it and run with it.

Exactly. There's a story out by Joe Rexrode - apparently works for the Tennessean and is somehow affiliated with USA today discussing the "UT mess". Now the question is who the hell is Joe Rexrode and why are his panties in a knot.

He goes through a lot of tortured "logic" about the "almost done" Fulmer deal and that Davenport doesn't arrive until mid Feb, and then he defaults to he can't come up with a third scenario about why things are taking so long.

Not a problem - any adult should know and understand "Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see." It all makes far more sense in that context. Or in the context of most "articles" - "Garbage in, garbage out."

There is a difference between slow and methodical and a rudderless ship listing to the side.

Maybe progress is being made but it sure doesn't look that way. When someone says it may take 6 months to choose an AD, something is very wrong. Maybe they are not using internet or phones or something.

1. Remember that Hart has had a foot out the door for over a year, as has Cheek. The time of the announcement wasn't the time UT knew that changes were coming. They acted like it just was dropped on them. They had, by all appearances, no plan to even begin to look for an AD. In a situation where the current AD even stays on for a bit, there is no excuse. 2. The reality is that in this time, we have seen 2 SEC schools replace AD's with great hires. Notice that Bama did their search before Battle stepped down. This is 2017, it's competitive culture and there are more resource than ever to be prepared. There's no need to wait this long, especially to even throw a dang search team together. 3. You have the very guy you groomed for the job a few miles away. He was born here, raised here, spent most of his career here. He is openly candid about his desire for this job. This is like lowering the goal to 7 feet, using a trampoline, and still missing the dunk. It's an embarrassment and it confirms everything about the public perception of this administration over the last decade. This is one thing Fulmer has been dead on about. It's a clown show.

I know that most made fun when Hart took away the Lady's name n said it was no big deal.I stated that the 3 in charge were taking our university down from the inside out, that the Lady's were just the first. We started petitions and still continue for the Lady Vols. Now the university is working on taking down all sports.if they really want this university to succeed in athletics as well as academics the path is clear to hire Blackburn. What are the chances they will do what is best for Tennessee

Last edited:
Yes it was!!! You don't fire a coach that has been in the program for decades, in the middle of a season, without it being a knee-jerk reaction!

Knee jerk implies that it was an emotional reaction without logic. That wasn't what firing Fulmer was. That's what hiring him as AD would be.

I don't know why you pay a person hundreds of thousands of dollars to be "Boss"...So that person can then spend tens of thousands of your dollars hiring other people to tell the "Boss" who to hire? Really

I know this is status quo. Never liked it.

If you don't know how to interview folks or can't judge character/skill sets, then you shouldn't be in any management position, period.

VN Store

Back