Rob Lewis on Aidoo

We never saw Awaka and Estrella on the floor togather this season and that would be a nice 4 and 5 combination, Awaka is plenty strong enough to play 5, but not tall enough in all scenarios, Estrella is fluid enough to play 4 or 5, but with some bulk and strengthening Estrella could blossom into a very successful big in the SEC, Aidoo regressed during the critical parts of the season and was non existent in an NCAA Regional tournament, I'm not sure how Barnes gets through that, not sure if we can get our bigs into somebody's big man camps, but the game is a vertical game and the more productivity, scoring and influence on the floor we can get from our 4 and 5, will be helpful going forward,

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
Hell, he was disappointing against Texas until he made those two critical free throws down the stretch. Seemed nervous the whole tournament. Short armed lots of wide open shots
He was 11-30 shooting as a 7' PF in 4 NCAAT games. And the majority of that came against St. Peters. He's been garbage for most of March.

Several options for Jonas. He'll obviously test the NBA waters, but he will return to college. I like him and he's developed a lot here, but in the last two tourney games he was not on the court in the final stretch (played poorly both games). Does he transfer? Does he stay? Do we even push for him to stay?
He is not ready for the NBA

He had a bad tournament.
Needs to hit the weights, 20 pounds of muscle and a lot of red bull before every game.
Ya can't play timid
He's been up and down his entire career. Look, he can pack on the pounds and live in the weight room. Won't change who he is. Either you're a competitor and possess toughness or you don't. He's a finesse player who excels in certain environments and against a certain/finesse opponent. He's not going to make a difference on the big stage against top shelf opposition. Hope he makes me eat my words, but I suspect we'll be saying much the same about him next season as well....assuming he doesn't transfer.

Aidoo isn’t going anywhere. Rick is a big believer in Jonas Aidoo, despite how bad he was down the stretch of the season. RB would fight to keep Aidoo around for another season.

As well he should. Aidoo was a big part of our success this season.

So he had a few off games? It happens. I hope he returns.

Don't care. These last 2 games have shown me all I need to see. The freshman is already better.

Seriously? His last 2 games he was playing against:

- 3 time Big East defensive player of the year awardee
- 7’4” monster who will be the Naismith player of the year and has an automatic foul advantage

I want to know if the flu rumors are true. If so, he should get the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully that’s what it was and not just that he lost interest or was intimidated.

But I do like Estrella’s potential. Moves well and isn’t afraid to mix it up. Another 6 months in the weight room and he’ll be ready. Needs to develop the 8 to 10 foot jumper.

I'm really liking Estrella. I thought he played phenomenal against Edey and he has fire in him. Awaka did really well too. You really couldn't ask for much better from either one of those guys against the monster.
Awaka will be counted on alot next season. But he has to learn to stay out of foul trouble, and stay on the court. He can take over a game. Your right Awaka and Estrella will be the big guys next season.

Several options for Jonas. He'll obviously test the NBA waters, but he will return to college. I like him and he's developed a lot here, but in the last two tourney games he was not on the court in the final stretch (played poorly both games). Does he transfer? Does he stay? Do we even push for him to stay?
I would not push for him to stay

Reactions: Native Orange
I want to know if the flu rumors are true. If so, he should get the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully that’s what it was and not just that he lost interest or was intimidated.

But I do like Estrella’s potential. Moves well and isn’t afraid to mix it up. Another 6 months in the weight room and he’ll be ready. Needs to develop the 8 to 10 foot jumper.
What flu rumors? Vescovi? Or Aidoo?

Rob is a first class chode, but he’s right. If I were to speculate, I’d speculate that Aidoo won’t be back. But then again, he might be our leading scorer next year lol.

I’d be surprised if he’s back. Everything they do builds up to the big stage and he failed and there’s little reason to believe it would be different next time. And it’s clear he can’t handle players that are bigger and stronger than he is. Hate it for him but he probably needs a fresh start somewhere else, it’s going to be hard to bounce back from this at Tennessee.

I think Aidoo was just trying too hard and tried to play too fast against Purdue. He missed a couple of shots and fumbled a couple of passes and Barnes could tell he wasn’t ready for the moment. He showed a lot of promise this year and I think he will be a big part of our success next year. With Estrella and Awaka we have a nice group of bigs on campus.
I think a lot of the game for big guys today has been dunking from a tossed pass . If a big guy can learn to hit the soft shot from 5'-8 ' it would make a difference.

Reactions: TartanTurff
As well he should. Aidoo was a big part of our success this season.

So he had a few off games? It happens. I hope he returns.

I agree. Not going to pour on Aidoo anymore than he has already been criticized today. He’s a good player who had a rough last month of the season. We would be hard pressed to find a better big in the portal.

Reactions: EasternVol and EZE
Estrella surprised me in a very good way.

The book has been written on Aidoo, I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on, it’s going to be hard to come back from his very obvious deficiencies. Nothing against him at all but he may need a fresh start.

Seriously? His last 2 games he was playing against:

- 3 time Big East defensive player of the year awardee
- 7’4” monster who will be the Naismith player of the year and has an automatic foul advantage
He didn't play the entire 2nd half. He was flat out benched for a true freshman who performed much better.

What flu rumors? Vescovi? Or Aidoo?

Somebody said the radio guys mentioned that Jonas may have been sick too. Will be curious to see if it comes out. I know Santi hadn’t recovered from his bout with it . He was pale as a ghost.

Reactions: BisonVol

From the way Rick talks about Estrella, it seems he wants to shoot 3's. Maybe he sees himself as kind of a Laimbeer-esque stretch 5, which would be fine with me.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back