Rob Lewis on Aidoo

I don't understand why he took so many shots early in this huge game. He is a low percentage jump shot shooter. His job in this game was just to keep LURCH from getting to his spot and get some rebounds. He didn't return because he was playing soft.
He’s actually pretty reliable from 5-10 feet. Just didn’t hit.

Reactions: walkenvol
Aidoo is just kinda soft for a 6’11” player. Good player, just not an enforcer. We need our bigs to be enforcers. Imagine if Barnes had any of the PFs and Cs Kentucky has had over the past 5 years. We’d have a final four by now I bet.

Aidoo is just kinda soft for a 6’11” player. Good player, just not an enforcer. We need our bigs to be enforcers. Imagine if Barnes had any of the PFs and Cs Kentucky has had over the past 5 years. We’d have a final four by now I bet.
I hope he stays, but no way I put all my eggs in his basket. Repeating myself, but if Estrella is seen as the answer by the staff, I'm fine with that. If there's any doubt, I think you need another physical center. Just don't think we can depend on Aidoo night in and night out.

I hope he stays, but no way I put all my eggs in his basket. Repeating myself, but if Estrella is seen as the answer by the staff, I'm fine with that. If there's any doubt, I think you need another physical center. Just don't think we can depend on Aidoo night in and night out.
I like what I see in Estrella but he doesn't strike me as a guy that can put the team on his back for 35 minutes a night.
I hope he turns into a true force but he seems like a support type player and that's okay.

Estrella may be able to put on some muscle and speed. Excited to see what another year of maturity, strength, and conditioning will do for the big man.

Ah, so Barnes isn’t pushing his guys in practice huh? Wait, I thought the narrative was we pushed them too hard in practice. This is the first I’ve heard of being too soft on guys in practice.
So maybe Barnes doesn’t develop post players as well as guards?
What do you think?

Ah, so Barnes isn’t pushing his guys in practice huh? Wait, I thought the narrative was we pushed them too hard in practice. This is the first I’ve heard of being too soft on guys in practice.
I did not use the words “soft in practice “. You like to stir the pot.

I don’t think Barnes developes post players as well as he does guards.

Reactions: Native Orange
So maybe Barnes doesn’t develop post players as well as guards?
What do you think?
I think Aidoo has improved drastically since he started here, just like Uros did, Alexander did, Grant did and so on. Another bad take. What else you got Einstein?

Reactions: walkenvol

I never said you used those exact words but you did say Aidoo was allowed to get away with doing weak things in practice. What else do you think that insinuates other than Barnes has been soft on Aidoo in practice? I don’t see how me challenging your position is stirring the pot. Fine though. I’ll soften my approach and start over. You’ll obviously have to ignore my response to your other post for this to work.

I disagree that Aidoo is allowed to be weak in practice. The more likely answer is that you simply can’t simulate game conditions in practice, especially when we don’t have an Edey, Dickinson, Bacot, etc. on our team.

Aidoo had a stretch of 3 bad games, likely sick for his last 2 of the season. anybody wanting him gone is just delusional, he would become the 1 portal player tomorrow if he entered. We've seen bad tourneys fuel some guys, hopefully that happens to Jonas.

I like what I see in Estrella but he doesn't strike me as a guy that can put the team on his back for 35 minutes a night.
I hope he turns into a true force but he seems like a support type player and that's okay.
Exactly. We just don't know how Estrella will look or what kind of game he'll bring next year. I know the game has changed and a back down/low block post is no longer a thing, but how many times this year did we see Aidoo alter an opponents shots or block them? How many times did we lament that Aidoo didn't show or got into foul trouble? More than a few. We need another physical post on this roster IMO. Yeah, Awaka, but he's undersized for that position plus he's still unable to stay on the floor due to fouls. Not sure that's ever going to change. Just like Aidoo. You kinda have to start thinking along the lines of this just being who and what they are and plan accordingly. I'm in no way saying send them packing but you simply can't expect or depend on a change with guys at this point in their careers. Move forward as if you can't depend on them and if they surprise you, great. You're a much stronger and deeper team.

To see where Aidoo & Awaka were when they came in to now might be alittle harsh to say Barnes don’t develop posts as well. Neither were close to ready to play SEC ball but each has improved. Audio’s issue is confidence, I believe. in how good he ready is. He can dominate some games, crawls in a shell in others.

Exactly. We just don't know how Estrella will look or what kind of game he'll bring next year. I know the game has changed and a back down/low block post is no longer a thing, but how many times this year did we see Aidoo alter an opponents shots or block them? How many times did we lament that Aidoo didn't show or got into foul trouble? More than a few. We need another physical post on this roster IMO. Yeah, Awaka, but he's undersized for that position plus he's still unable to stay on the floor due to fouls. Not sure that's ever going to change. Just like Aidoo. You kinda have to start thinking along the lines of this just being who and what they are and plan accordingly. I'm in no way saying send them packing but you simply can't expect or depend on a change with guys at this point in their careers. Move forward as if you can't depend on them and if they surprise you, great. You're a much stronger and deeper team.
Someone needs to inform Clingan, Edey, Bacot, Kalkbrenner, Dickinson, and DJ Burns of this.

He probably would have been handy in that game. How did he fare vs purdue?
He had just 7 points and 4 rebounds in a 32 point loss in the first Purdue game.

DNP the second Purdue game due to injury and they only lost by 8.

Doesn’t seem like he helped.

Aidoo is one of the best shot blockers we’ve ever had. It’s actually impressive how consistently awful your takes are.

Don't have to, I saw it live.

Yeah, live Aidoo had decent looks. If anything maybe part of it was his slow reaction or hesitation to get the shot off. He was indecisive. The still frame with the little guard is most damaging to his claim Aidoo was contested on every shot. I would guess those two dimensional images do not exactly line up with where the defender was in each case. I'm not saying some were not more challenged than others just that a couple didn't even hit the rim and they were face ups.

Not all on Barnes though. Aidoo, JJJ and Z all missed mid range shots that scholarship athletes should make and normally do. Not to mention missed free throws. Very easily could have won that game yesterday even with Lurch’s performance and special treatment.
Not disputing that, nor am I suggesting it's Barnes fault for not taking them to the FF yet. I'm wondering if it's going to be any time soon for a program like tenn to reach it.
Sure, Bama finally has, but they were incredibly lucky with their path.
If Barnes is in rebuild mode, will he retire soon and then we'll need a better coach or luckier team to have the same chance.

VN Store

Back