Ron Hunter

Andy Enfield says hi. Can't hire guys based on 1 year of tourney results.

In fairness to Enfield, Kevin O'Neill didn't exactly leave USC in great shape when he left. Probably take 4 years to really evaluate him.

As for Hunter, don't know how to evaluate him either. He's had two good years at Georgia State. You can say "he had good players", but that's kind of the point. His ability to recruit Atlanta makes him more attractive in Knoxville. He's going to need to be able to bring good players to UT to coach here and he's done OK with that at GSU.

I don't know that I'd really take a lack of huge success at IUPUI as a strike against him. It was an NAIA program that transitioned to NCAA D-1. He was basically building it from the ground-up and turned it into a successful program. That's actually very impressive.

Don't know if Hunter would succeed at UT, but I wouldn't dismiss him simply because he only has made a few NCAA tournaments. It's a miracle he made any NCAAs at IUPUI. He had that program contending for conference titles every year. It's fallen quite a bit since he left.

Last edited:
To say that him having one good season isn't impressive enough to hire Hunter, then to name most of the guys you named, is mind boggling.

Which of the coaches he mentioned only had one good year? Underwood has had two that were both better than Hunter's best, White has had four, Prohm has had four, Wade two, Hurley two. I'll give you Pitino and Holtman.

What these guys don't have is 10 years of less than 20 wins in D1, and a season with 18 wins vacated due to violations.

Reactions: 1 person
Which of the coaches he mentioned only had one good year? Underwood has had two that were both better than Hunter's best, White has had four, Prohm has had four, Wade two, Hurley two. I'll give you Pitino and Holtman.

What these guys don't have is 10 years of less than 20 wins in D1, and a season with 18 wins vacated due to violations.

Wade has had one good(?) year, and Hurley and Underwood have had two. Ron Hunter has had several winning seasons, and several records that were better than these guys second (and only) records.

I'm not a fan of hiring Hunter either, but denigrating his experience while extolling Wade, Holtmann, Pitino, etc. is hilarious. It's probably what Mike Hamilton would do.

Reactions: 3 people

This. There is a reason Hunter hasn't been called up to the big leagues yet.

Wade has had one good(?) year, and Hurley and Underwood have had two. Ron Hunter has had several winning seasons, and several records that were better than these guys second (and only) records.

I'm not a fan of hiring Hunter either, but denigrating his experience while extolling Wade, Holtmann, Pitino, etc. is hilarious. It's probably what Mike Hamilton would do.
Underwood > Hunter

Hunter has had 5 losing seasons and 2 .500 season. He lucked into having a talented son and luckily landed two transfers. In 17 years coaching D1 he made the tourney twice.

Wade Houston 2.0...in reference to his son. Wait and see how he does this year without RJ and Harrow.

Hunter has had 5 losing seasons and 2 .500 season. He lucked into having a talented son and luckily landed two transfers. In 17 years coaching D1 he made the tourney twice.

Yeah, but Underwood inherited a good roster. SFA was regular season conference champions the year before he got there, and his two best players on this year's team were on that team. So it is lunacy to say that Hunter lucked into his roster and Underwood didn't.

I think both would be defeatist hires.

I'm sorry but Coach Hunter has a long ways to go in my mind before he's considered an attractive hire at this level....not saying he wont be soon but right now its not even close....

I'm extremely glad Hunter doesn't seem to be high on our list. Watch how he does next season without his son. He will go back to .500 or losing seasons. Two NCAAT appearances in 17 years says all there is to be said about the man. Hiring Hunter would end up being a huge BUST.

Maybe I am wrong for going after Ron Hunter;but,clue in-Barnes is a burnout.His best days are behind him and he would'nt have the Texas name for recruiting in texass recruiting her in the south and northeast.Pass on the "burnt"orange,please.

Einfeld took a no name to the Sweet 16 and has a smoking hot wife...Hunter has neither of the 2. Just saying since the hot wife thing seems to appeal to our fan base(see Layla Kiffin).

Maybe I am wrong for going after Ron Hunter;but,clue in-Barnes is a burnout.His best days are behind him and he would'nt have the Texas name for recruiting in texass recruiting her in the south and northeast.Pass on the "burnt"orange,please.

Even if you believe he's a "burn out", I'd take Barnes over Turner everyday and twice on Sundays.

VN Store

Back