Ryan Thaxton Arrested..

There is a new one of these reports it seems like every other day. If I had a daughter, I would strongly discourage her from dating a football player. I know many of these accusations turn out to be false, but the vast majority arent and where there's smoke, there's fire.

Might be the most simple minded, tone deaf thing I've read on this site and I've been here a long time.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok, I mean that's purely anecdotal but i take your word for it. I do think certain schools are worse than others, and I am very confident in that. I mean not all are having huge, embarassing title 9 investigations like UT.

Is it possible that you don't pay attention to what is going on at all the other universities?

Reactions: 1 person
No, just one's where there is a higher likelihood of something like this happening. I wouldnt want my hypothetical daughter to date your average frathole either. Do you want me to keep going? These huge public universities are basically all the same. I think a smaller school is the way to go nowadays with all the crap that goes on at these campuses like UT. It's disgusting.

That’s such crap. There are nearly 29,000 students at UT, when I was there there were between 22 and 25k and I never knew one guy (including myself ) that ever mistreated a woman. That includes Jesse Mahalona, the Colquitts, Derek Burnett, Kevin Simon, Rick Clausen, Gerald Riggs, Jabari Davis, Ced Houston, Jabari Greer and others. There’s always going to be some bad apples in the bunch, but you’re painting with a broad brush.

Reactions: 6 people
If my daughter had the necessary academic ability, I would encourage such a daughter to attend a university that does not have a football program and I would not help her financially with her choice if she ignored me. I went to a top tier, extremely diverse school for my most advanced degree that will lose their largest endowment if they ever institute a football program.

Sure they will and I forgive you!

Number 44. These kids need to learn that there are other fish in the sea. Females aren't worth one bit of trouble.

anigif_enhanced-10214-1415955596-3.gif

Is the beef cabbage a new menu item. Strawberry pie from Shoney’s is canon...but the soup?

I haven't been to Shoney's in years, but it used to be on the bar all the time.

If my daughter had the necessary academic ability, I would encourage such a daughter to attend a university that does not have a football program and I would not help her financially with her choice if she ignored me. I went to a top tier, extremely diverse school for my most advanced degree that will lose their largest endowment if they ever institute a football program.

I did my doctorate at what was regularly ranked the top university in the world a decade or so ago and there were a lot of brilliant guys stalking people's daughters there...

Reactions: 10 people
That’s such crap. There are nearly 29,000 students at UT, when I was there there were between 22 and 25k and I never knew one guy (including myself ) that ever mistreated a woman. That includes Jesse Mahalona, the Colquitts, Derek Burnett, Kevin Simon, Rick Clausen, Gerald Riggs, Jabari Davis, Ced Houston, Jabari Greer and others. There’s always going to be some bad apples in the bunch, but you’re painting with a broad brush.

Some of yall dont understand how meaningless anecdotal stories are. But I knew some good guys at UT one time! So that refutes your argument! Ha!

For those of you who think the guy who wouldn't let his daughter attend a school with a FBall program is completely in the wrong...

How would any of you feel if someone told you how to raise your daughter? Yes he opened himself up to some responses by offering his opinion on a public message board, but he's entitled to an opinion.

For those who think that other guys besides athletes are capable of assaulting college age girls,you're absolutely right. The problem is that there is a well oiled machine in place to keep star athletes out of trouble. I would hope my daughter would never want to go to UF in the first place. But i would have yanked her ass out in a heartbeat after the Antonio Callaway situation. He and Jameis were enabled by multi million dollar athletic departments, and neither should be walking the streets.

Reactions: 3 people
For those of you who think the guy who wouldn't let his daughter attend a school with a FBall program is completely in the wrong...

How would any of you feel if someone told you how to raise your daughter? Yes he opened himself up to some responses by offering his opinion on a public message board, but he's entitled to an opinion.

For those who think that other guys besides athletes are capable of assaulting college age girls,you're absolutely right. The problem is that there is a well oiled machine in place to keep star athletes out of trouble. I would hope my daughter would never want to go to UF in the first place. But i would have yanked her ass out in a heartbeat after the Antonio Callaway situation. He and Jameis were enabled by multi million dollar athletic departments, and neither should be walking the streets.

a) He doesn't have a daughter.

b) Why not just trust that your daughter has been raised the correct way (by YOU) and can make wise choices about who she dates/sees?

Being controlling (i.e. "yanking her ass out", etc.) is the easiest way to get your daughter to do the exact opposite of what you want.

Reactions: 6 people
Some of yall dont understand how meaningless anecdotal stories are. But I knew some good guys at UT one time! So that refutes your argument! Ha!

My point is that there are 28, 800 or fewer not on the football team and the likelihood of something tragic happening to someone’s child is much higher to happen to someone who is not on the football team. We can all hope and pray that when our (in my case) hypothetical children and y’alls kids go to college that they stay safe.

My point is that there are 28, 800 or fewer not on the football team and the likelihood of something tragic happening to someone’s child is much higher to happen to someone who is not on the football team. We can all hope and pray that when our (in my case) hypothetical children and y’alls kids go to college that they stay safe.

Thats true. But if a guy in the Engineering Department assaults a female, the Dean of the Engineering School isnt going to show up at a local Shoneys with his lawyer in tow to try and smooth things over. That s the difference.

Last edited:
a) He doesn't have a daughter.

b) Why not just trust that your daughter has been raised the correct way (by YOU) and can make wise choices about who she dates/sees?

Being controlling (i.e. "yanking her ass out", etc.) is the easiest way to get your daughter to do the exact opposite of what you want.

A) He said he had a daughter and I have no reason not to believe him.

B) Sometimes these assaults aren't by a person who the girl is "seeing" but more of a random encounter at a social event where the choice is taken away from a girl.

C) I agree with you about part C but I really don't think I could have left my daughter at a school after that happened.

Reported with no details, VN be like

"Again!?, Oh my gawd"

"Finally safe to stereotype all fb players"

"I attended fine institutions and hate
college football programs!
Wait, why am I here again??"

And my favorite

"How can I turn this into another shot at Fulmer, like I do every other thread?"

Ignorance and trolling really are the lifeblood of message boards.

Reactions: 11 people
Thats true. But if a guy in the Engineering Department assaults a female, the Dean of the Engineering School isnt going to show up at a local Shoneys with his lawyer in tow to try and smooth things over. That s the difference.

That’s because the Dean of the Engineering school has a helluva lot less to lose than Coach Fulmer. In this day and time of #metoo I don’t blame anybody for watching their back. That doesn’t mean I think there haven’t been some injustices done towards women, I just think that in the court of public opinion you don’t get behind the 8 ball if you’ve done nothing wrong.

Cut ties with him and move on. 0 tolerance! There's always two sides to a story, but it seems unlikely that all of it was made up. He did carry her to his room and prevented her from leaving. That's enough! When he gets through dealing with his legal problems he can try McDonalds on Cumberland Ave, I hear they are hiring

That’s because the Dean of the Engineering school has a helluva lot less to lose than Coach Fulmer. In this day and time of #metoo I don’t blame anybody for watching their back. That doesn’t mean I think there haven’t been some injustices done towards women, I just think that in the court of public opinion you don’t get behind the 8 ball if you’ve done nothing wrong.

So its ok to commit actions that the average person might see as a little slimey if you have more to lose? BTW...Phils little trip to Shoneys was a good 14 years before the #metoo movement

From this, I conclude:

-- You don't have any daughters
-- You don't have any friends who played college ball
-- You went to McDonalds Hamburger University*
-- McDonalds Hamburger University's largest endowment is in the tens of dollars, maybe even hundreds

Heh.

Statistically, young men are just idiots in general. Young men who do not play football, or any other sports, are pretty much** just as likely to do dumb (including criminal) things as young men who do play football or other sports. You only hear about the ball players because they're more newsworthy beyond local coverage.

Really silly to make the errant assumptions you've made about risk. Since you don't have daughters, though, no harm no foul.

* Inside McDonald's Hamburger University - Business Insider
** Science does find a degree of correlation between sports participation and off-field/off-court aggressive behavior, but the body of work is mixed and at times contradictory. There seems to be a certain amount of confirmation bias ("you find it because you seek it") in the scientific literature. Meta-studies (research that tallies up the results of many studies on the topic) tend to conclude that more work is required before we can be sure of any causation or even firm correlation of the two variables. In short, don't assume athletes are more aggressive in their personal lives than non-athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
So its ok to commit actions that the average person might see as a little slimey if you have more to lose? BTW...Phils little trip to Shoneys was a good 14 years before the #metoo movement

No. If you’re a public figure you are more likely to be vilified for a false headline. It makes sense to have a legal representation there than to allow someone to completely fabricate something and then leave it to others to decide who was wrong or right.

Reactions: 4 people
No. If you’re a public figure you are more likely to be vilified for a false headline. It makes sense to have a legal representation there than to allow someone to completely fabricate something and then leave it to others to decide who was wrong or right.

Fair enough? But is it possible that my actual point is that it was completely inappropriate for PF to have been involved in that conversation in the first place? The issue isnt bringing the laywer.

What do you mean by here we go?

Just think of every racist connotation that you can give it and I am sure you will be happy.

But, not one of them ever crossed the posters mind. I had the same thought and it simply had to do with 3 former PLAYERS (you know, orange guys) with assault issues.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back