Saturday Down South: On "Tennessee rumors"

In 1997, Manning was the preseason frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy. But in the Vols’ third game, Manning had the misfortune of throwing an interception, which Florida’s Tony George returned 88 yards for a touchdown in the key play during the Gators’ 33-20 victory.

With an 0-4 lifetime record against Florida, Manning’s ability to win big games was put into question.

Manning was 0-3, not 0-4, against the gators, Marky. And I don't think the UF loss in the 3rd game of the season had much of anything to do with the voting considering Manning was still considered by most as the clear frontrunner almost up to Heisman night.

Reactions: 2 people
I never heard a rumor that Shuler was going to be the AD nor did I ever hear anything about Spurrier leaving Florida for Tennessee in the 90's. The only time we even had an opening in the 90's was 1992 and it was a foregone conclusion that Fulmer would get the job. He had been very successful that year as an interim and even beat Florida (badly!). Would we have even wanted Spurrier after '98? I may have heard the Cowher rumor once or twice but even that was never anything taken seriously by the fan base. As for the ESPN campaign against Manning, the Sunday morning talk show, "The Sports Reporters" hosted at the time by Dick Schaap and with a panel of Mike Lupica, Bill Conlin (the fat child molester - now dead), Bob Ryan and Mitch Albom (Michigan homer), really did campaign hard for Woodson - to the point of greatly exaggerating his special teams and offensive exploits. That wasn't just a rumor. I remember those shows. Their bias was real... and Chris Fowler really did refer to the anger of the Tennessee fan base as a "trailer park frenzy" following Woodson's win. He later apologized for it on Sports Talk with Mike Keith and in an open letter to the KNS.

The only real rumor in this column was Gruden. The others are either just made up rumors to make us look even more delusional than what is honestly the case or not even a rumor at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone who thinks UT fans are any worse than other big programs are just flat out wrong.
And I saw where someone on here posted about Gruden, hell legit reporters were writing columns/tweets and giving radio interviews asserting Gruden was a serious candidate. So that's not just on UT fans. SDS is a garbage site and has for some reason keeps wanting to put junk like this out on UT. They shine Sabans boots and fall all over themselves for him. And does anyone think UT fans are worse than bammers?
Like I said, garbage.

Last edited:
So, looking at the list, there is one thing missing, which can only mean that "ESPN Hates Us" is not a rumor, but is, indeed a confirmed fact.

Reactions: 2 people
Seemed pretty on point to me. I agree that rumors run rampant around every program, and hindsight is 20/20. These rumors obviously seem ridiculous now that we know the outcomes, but I thought it was pretty well done. Didn't seem insulting to me at all. Vol fans can be fanatics, no surprise there.

Most of the 'rumors' cited were not widely circulated if they actually even existed at all. The Spurrier one, in particular. Nobody was actually talking about that in the 90's. Fulmer was very popular with the fan base from '92-'01. It was a ridiculous list.

I always heard the ESPN connection but more strongly "Northern Media" as against Manning and campaigning for Woodson.

ABC acquired ESPN in 1984. ABC owned the broadcast rights to the Rose Bowl and had a vested interest in being able to showcase the Heisman Trophy winner in that game. There's no question that they hyped Woodson week-in and week-out for the entire last half of the season. Did they cost Peyton the Heisman? Who knows? Did they help Woodson's chances? No question in my mind they did. That's not a conspiracy, it's just common sense.

Reactions: 3 people
They had me until "less-than critical media."

Of course the media hates us. Ask John Adams and Chris Fowler and Lee Corso and Skip Bayless and Mike Wilbon and Jeff Schultz and Mark Schlabach. Buncha pr!cks.

Oh! How could I forget Anita Wadwahoohoo.

Rumors like those mentioned by OP are a means of coping with the long "off season". They provide something to fill the void until kickoff. A lot of the rumors occur when the Vols are going through down times and the VN tries to dream of something positive (regardless of how delusional) to carry us until we reach the goal of being "relevant" in a particular sport. If this is true, there should be a b---load of rumors about the baseball team. But then, I think the majority is more "about" our football program.

#4 was closer than many would think

I blame VN for this phenomena known as the "Tennessee Rumor"

Haslam let that process (Gruden) run for a while and let some UT boosters have fun with it BUT there was no way Haslam was going to allow him to be the head coach. He couldn't be trusted and some of the things he wanted would have led directly to sanctions.

Haslam let that process (Gruden) run for a while and let some UT boosters have fun with it BUT there was no way Haslam was going to allow him to be the head coach. He couldn't be trusted and some of the things he wanted would have led directly to sanctions.

More like "would of led to championships", and I'll ignore the first part of your post.

RUMORS!

I love starting rumors. Did you ever start one that came true?

I did. The DAY AFTER the Georgia loss to UT last year, I posted that I had heard that Richt was to return to Miami! That same post said an Alabama coordinator would take his place at Georgia. (but I named the wrong coordinator)

Some on here scoffed at that RUMOR.

BUT. . . .

RUMORS!

I love starting rumors. Did you ever start one that came true?

I did. The DAY AFTER the Georgia loss to UT last year, I posted that I had heard that Richt was to return to Miami! That same post said an Alabama coordinator would take his place at Georgia. (but I named the wrong coordinator)

Some on here scoffed at that RUMOR.

BUT. . . .

Last I checked Kiffin is still at Bama

they left out the rumors about Kiffin hunting down coeds all over campus, screwing around all over town.....wonder why?

I think Smart had the d-coordinator title before he left for Ga.

And Ga would have been smart to have hired Kiffen instead of Smart

VN Store

Back