'20 SC WR Jalin Hyatt (UT SIGNEE)

I don't think your average 200+ lb safety could square him up enough to lay him out. Check his highlights. Would take his QB hanging him out to dry, which would be hard for even JG, as Hyatt will be running fly routes and screens.
If you don't think JG hangs his wide receivers out to dry, then you need to take a much closer look at the game tape from the past two years. He consistently holds onto the ball while his wide receivers are running wide open through the secondary and then delivers the ball just as defenders get into position to deliver a blow or contest the catch.

Also, I would hope that our coaching staff is creative enough to not simply have a receiver with blazing speed running a grand total of two routes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols4us
I will say this. If we start the season with JG and Bailey is starting by game 7 we aren’t winning 9 games. This isn’t because Bailey isnt good enough just that JG has already starting losing games and 9 will be out of reach.
Pruitt showed he isn’t afraid to make a change at QB. If JG is costing us games he will put someone else in.

And tell that to Hollywood Brown or DeSean Jackson while you're at it...

First off, I said might. You're like the 4th person to quote this. I wasn't trying to start a war, just pointing out that 165 is pretty light for SEC football.

Second, he's 3+ inches taller than those guys.

Third, don't you think he should at least play a down in college before we start comparing him to Pro Bowlers/1st rd picks?

I'm not sure if you're serious? Are you implying that there is no deep slant?
I mean any deeper then 5 yds is basically a post so.... sorta, I’ve played football in High School and College and I’ve never seen a “deep slant” placed in a playbook.

I mean any deeper then 5 yds is basically a post so.... sorta, I’ve played football in High School and College and I’ve never seen a “deep slant” placed in a playbook.
We actually had deep slant in our playbook in HS. I played outside the hash marks typically as I was one of the taller receivers, so you’d basically run a 2 yard stutter to either stack your corner up against the slot guy or at least get him on his tiptoes then dig your outside foot in hard & cut a 45 degree angle in between the MLB/ILB and safety. Super effective against LB blitzes and safety blitzes from the strong side but your RG and either T or TE better be doing their job, unless you’re blistering quick. Route takes at least a good 2-2.5 seconds to develop. (I know that was an extended response l, my bad)

I guess between HS, and college you didn't see every type of play in existence...lol

The slant is a route in west coast offenses typically the WR runs 5-7 yards then cuts 45°. On the deep slant the WR makes his cut between 10-15 yards.

The reason I like Hyatt in the deep slant is because he can put his foot in the ground, and make that cut in devastating fashion!

We actually had deep slant in our playbook in HS. I played outside the hash marks typically as I was one of the taller receivers, so you’d basically run a 2 yard stutter to either stack your corner up against the slot guy or at least get him on his tiptoes then dig your outside foot in hard & cut a 45 degree angle in between the MLB/ILB and safety. Super effective against LB blitzes and safety blitzes from the strong side but your RG and either T or TE better be doing their job, unless you’re blistering quick. Route takes at least a good 2-2.5 seconds to develop. (I know that was an extended response l, my bad)
I guess between HS, and college you didn't see every type of play in existence...lol

The slant is a route in west coast offenses typically the WR runs 5-7 yards then cuts 45°. On the deep slant the WR makes his cut between 10-15 yards.

The reason I like Hyatt in the deep slant is because he can put his foot in the ground, and make that cut in devastating fashion!

Any 45 degree cut at 10 - 15 yards is a post route basically. Can slants be drawn out to get in between coverage yes. Those are based on the defense and most routes are ran that way. But it isn’t a deep slant. Maybe your coaches called it a deep slant but anything past 10 or more yards is a post Route.

But I agree with you on Hyatt. He will be a great receiver here, so will his brother when he gets here.

Reactions: T Dog and LittleVol
Any 45 degree cut at 10 - 15 yards is a post route basically. Can slants be drawn out to get in between coverage yes. Those are based on the defense and most routes are ran that way. But it isn’t a deep slant. Maybe your coaches called it a deep slant but anything past 10 or more yards is a post Route.

But I agree with you on Hyatt. He will be a great receiver here, so will his brother when he gets here.

Whatever makes you feel better guy.

A post route is one that angles toward the posts, thus the name. If the slant starts early, then it's your typical slant. If it starts late, then it's a deep slant (if it doesn't angle towards the posts). Just depends on how the play is designed. But it's not a post if the route doesn't take you there.

A post route is one that angles toward the posts, thus the name. If the slant starts early, then it's your typical slant. If it starts late, then it's a deep slant (if it doesn't angle towards the posts). Just depends on how the play is designed. But it's not a post if the route doesn't take you there.
Both routes are ran at 45 degrees but whatever lol. It’s a dumb argument. Difference is you aren’t going to the post on a slant because it is a shallow route.

Last edited:

Yeah you’re probably correct, they were just used to different terminology in all likelihood. I hated running post routes and deep, I didn’t have the top end speed for it. I was more of a move the chains or possession receiver. Air mail one and I’ll catch it

🔥🔥🔥Hot Fish Grease Take: Jalin will have at least 800 receiving yards this year🔥🔥🔥

Man I hope so. We've only had a total of five 800+ yd receiving seasons in the past 10 years. Would probably mean that Hyatt becomes the #1 or #2 guy this year if it were to happen.

1. Denarious Moore (2010) - 981
2. Da'Rick Rogers (2011) - 1040
3. Justin Hunter (2012) - 1083
4. Josh Malone (2016) - 972
5. Jauan Jennings (2019) - 969

Man I hope so. We've only had a total of five 800+ yd receiving seasons in the past 10 years. Would probably mean that Hyatt becomes the #1 or #2 guy this year if it were to happen.

1. Denarious Moore (2010) - 981
2. Da'Rick Rogers (2011) - 1040
3. Justin Hunter (2012) - 1083
4. Josh Malone (2016) - 972
5. Jauan Jennings (2019) - 969

Great observation and it is definitely a possibility.

First off, I said might. You're like the 4th person to quote this. I wasn't trying to start a war, just pointing out that 165 is pretty light for SEC football.

Second, he's 3+ inches taller than those guys.

Third, don't you think he should at least play a down in college before we start comparing him to Pro Bowlers/1st rd picks?
No, he is essentially Rocket Ismail already.

VN Store

Back