Scalping Success Stories?

UT vs. UCLA in the "Heat Bowl." Buddy and I bought two on the street for $20 each but realized a moment later they were in the same section but pretty far apart. Held 'em up and sold 'em for $30 each and found a pair together for $15 each. Enjoyed the heat, enjoyed the game and enjoyed the whiskey we carried in. Total ticket cost was $10. Best was the little Brentwood coed I "made friends" with by helping her heat stricken girlfriend (back then girls had girlfriends without it meaning anything more than friends). Had a great evening after the game.

Don't know why I quit buying scalped tickets.

In 1991 I was living in Milwaukee and got a friend to drive down to see the Vols beat Notre Dame. However, getting tickets was almost impossible. Parked over a mile from stadium and was offered two tickets for about $300 each in parking lot there. Passed on those and when we got to stadium, game was about to start and there was NOTHING available for any price. Place was 100% deserted and out of nowhere a nicely dressed older UT alum walks up and asks me if I was a UT fan. I showed him my Orange & White shoes and he said he had two extra tix for $100. Sold them to us at face value of $50 each and we sat smack in middle of UT section in the corner of the end zone. I assure everyone on VN that I was the absolute loudest and most cheering fan in the stadium as I continually banged my two UT seat cushions together during our comeback (which sound like a 12 gauge when done properly). Needless to say, I got my money's worth on those two tickets! Go Vols!

UT vs. UCLA in the "Heat Bowl." Buddy and I bought two on the street for $20 each but realized a moment later they were in the same section but pretty far apart. Held 'em up and sold 'em for $30 each and found a pair together for $15 each. Enjoyed the heat, enjoyed the game and enjoyed the whiskey we carried in. Total ticket cost was $10. Best was the little Brentwood coed I "made friends" with by helping her heat stricken girlfriend (back then girls had girlfriends without it meaning anything more than friends). Had a great evening after the game.

Don't know why I quit buying scalped tickets.

That reminds me of an experience I had with the '02 Florida game. It was raining and I was in my car looking for a place to park and didn't have time to look at a seat chart and heard a scalper scream, "I got two on the 40 yard line and in the dry!"... I paid $200 a piece for those damn tix. They were in the end zone and nowhere close to being under the upper deck.

I've never had issues scalping a ticket, but I've never tried for a huge game either. Four together for Florida will not be cheap on gameday. I'd say go for it if you're only looking for a pair but buy in advance for a four set.

Sellers tend to be more kind to attractive females haggling the price if you can wrangle one of those...

I know you guys won't believe me but here's a short story. My dad and I always try and scalp tickets for lesser opponent games and we were having no luckfor thus game. Then a cop directing traffic calls us over and asks us if we were looking for some tickets. We said yes and he pulls out 2 tickets from his shirt pocket. Sells them to us for $10 each and we get into the game.

Amazing about the tickets are now considering in 2012 I found 2 on the ground for the BAMA game, Waited in that exact spot for an hour for the owners to return, and still only go $10 dollars apiece for them 10 minutes before kickoff.

There was also the time my cousin sold my two LSU/UT tickets in 2011 for $30 total. And LSU was ranked #1...

I love the fact that we are great, but the upside of a bad situation was that I could buy two random seats and have my friends sit with me at the games because there were 10k empty seats.

Keys to successfully scalping tickets

These tips are for big games – Florida, Bama, etc. or home openers which are always hard tickets to get. If you can’t scalp a ticket for half price for Ohio then this game is not for you.

1. Arrive early and position yourself in one of the key entry points to the campus. 17th Street, or the South (West) end of Cumberland Ave. are both good. You want to be where there is a steady stream of fans coming in.
2. Know the stadium or bring a seating chart so you know where your potential purchase will be. Pricing will follow location. Hey it’s a form of real estate so you know location, location, location!
3. If you want more than two together, be willing to pay a very high premium over face value or be willing to break up the seating and sit 2 and 2.
4. Check with the professional ticket scalpers about what they have and what their price is. If at all possible you do not want to buy from these guys but you do need to know the going scalper rate and you want to observe how many tickets these guys have. Lots of tickets means a lower price. If you see one of the regulars and he’s not got many tickets then you know it’s going to be a tough ticket. Its all about supply and demand.
5. Your target seller is a season ticket holder whose regular game partner(s) can’t make it to the game. You want to get their tickets before the scalpers buy them. Offer face value for the tickets. Most will be willing to take that just to get rid of them and get to the game. If not offer some nominal amount over face. You have to read the person. Sometimes they only want enough over face to feel like they made a buck. Sometimes they want to be a scalper for a day. You’ve done your homework and know what the scalper rate is, so always offer substantially less. Most of the time they will sell. I have gotten many tickets this way. Most recently I got Florida tickets in 2014 for $20 over face.
6. Go a little bit carnival huckster with it. Hold up the number of fingers you want tickets for and let people know what you want; “Need four together or two pairs!! Who’s got tickets?!”
7. If you can’t find a willing “civilian” seller you will have to negotiate with a scalper. Remember it’s all about supply and demand. If they all have a fist full be patient and wait close to kick off and you can get a good deal. If the more professional guys only have a few, you may have to pay a substantial premium if you want to see the game. If you find tickets you would like to have just hang next to the scalper for a while and see if he’s moving tickets for what he’s asking. Offer what you judge to be fair for the given market. I often start midway between face and Scalper asking price. From there it’s just a negotiation.
8. Approach it as a game. Personally I love the negotiation and the back and forth but most people I know hate it.

Good Hunting!!

Print this, study this. It's gold.

I have season tickets. I'm tempted to buy two on the street and see if I can hawk my seats for a better price. Just enough to buy a few beers after the game. I little give and take, you can get in free (net gain). However, it can be like real estate and flipping houses - you do great until you overpay for one and get stuck holding it.

The man on the hill (not THE HILL) took a risk.

Happy hunting.

Wife went to 05 NC, they had 4 tickets but 1 extra as brother was in band. So they decided to scalp it. By some stroke people came up needing one ticket and they had the seats directly beside the one they were selling. Needless to say that cost the buyers a shiny nickel but they were very happy.

Figure out a price in your head that you're willing to pay. Offer under that and be willing to give ground. A deal is both parties thinking they got the better of the other. If it winds up being a 3:30 game think about that in relation to where the tickets are. Can be a long day if you're on the east side of the stadium slowcooking in the sun for 3 quarters.

Reactions: 1 person
Amazing about the tickets are now considering in 2012 I found 2 on the ground for the BAMA game, Waited in that exact spot for an hour for the owners to return, and still only go $10 dollars apiece for them 10 minutes before kickoff.

There was also the time my cousin sold my two LSU/UT tickets in 2011 for $30 total. And LSU was ranked #1...

I love the fact that we are great, but the upside of a bad situation was that I could buy two random seats and have my friends sit with me at the games because there were 10k empty seats.

I had 2 family members get fake tickets at that game and paid $150 for 3 . They had a bad day

In the late 90s, I was so desperate for a ticket to the UT-Florida game, I rented a dog costume, went to the gate dressed in costume with an orange shirt and told the gate agent I was a backup Smokey---I had something around my neck that looked like a pass, so he let me through. I stored the costume during the game in a place near a concession stand and found a great seat on the 20 yard line. What a day!

My friend has been offered $5000 for his 6 tickets (section J) for the Bama game. I told him to sell them and finance the rest of the season with the money. He can come to my house and watch the game on the 70"

1. Sell
2. Buy 6 more
3. Profit

Tennessee Arkansas 98. Two gentleman were getting nervous about missing kick off so my dad told them that we would by them each a coke. I got to see the Stoerner fumble for the price of a coke.

OU game last year, I went with tickets in hand but a buddy of mine rode up with me looking for a single. He got offered a singled in C for like $150 I think? Right on the 50 like 20 rows up. It was a fake. Failure story.

VN Store

Back