Scheme and Philosophy Offense and Defense

Caleb59seal

Offensively: Our O-Line Coach has "quick sets" which excited me because of the aggression of it.... The O-Line seemed pretty solid (again CSU) solid technique much more aggressive than what we had... Seems to me they are more techniquly sound...

Tyson Helton: it seems to me that it is more of a spread with a tip of the cap to pro sets... He will incorporate the screen game regularly... Seems to me there are a lot of horizontal stretch concepts to his offense... And will burn you if you don't have eye discipline becaus ther are a lot of decoys in his concepts as well... Passing to running ratio is heavy pass lean in the game I watched... I gully expect that to get more balanced because of the league we are in and I expect their to be more concentration on the run game whenever he incorporates his offense here... With position coaches there typically isn't a lot of change... But with OC's and DC's you must adapt to your team so expect it to look different then you see at USC....

Defensively: I mean what can I say... As a Vols fan I hated watching Bama but as a Football Fan I loved watching Bama simply because of the aggression with which they play... FINALLY THE SHUFFLE TECHNIQUE Pruitt and Terry Fair use it... Of course the back peddle would be used too but the shuffle will get you a lot more vision to the QB and ball...
They run a lot of multiple things... 3-3-5, 4-2-5, 3-4-4 and even some 2-5-4 (on specialty occasions)
The names that pop out to me that will reap benefits for this move is... Warrior expect him to get to move around the field.... Also obviously bitulu, DK jr but also expect Reid and Taylor... On the back end shawnburger and a certain LB/SS from middle Tennessee we haven't for to see that much of yet...

Also, my FAVORITE thing about this defense is the cover 3 match that they will play it is a combo concepts of zone an man principles.... And will allow you to do a lot of stuff up front....

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Don’t expect our offense here to look exactly like Helton’s offenses at USC or especially WKU.

Helton knows offense, and he’s able to adapt his scheme to fit the talent, or in this case, the game plan of the HC.

Pruitt was clear in the press conference, he wants to line it up, dominate at the line of scrimmage, and use the running game to open up the passing game.

Offense is going to be fun to watch, but don’t worry that it’s a Sun Belt gimmick. My gut says it’s gonna have a real SEC feel to it.

Don’t expect our offense here to look exactly like Helton’s offenses at USC or especially WKU.

Helton knows offense, and he’s able to adapt his scheme to fit the talent, or in this case, the game plan of the HC.

Pruitt was clear in the press conference, he wants to line it up, dominate at the line of scrimmage, and use the running game to open up the passing game.

Offense is going to be fun to watch, but don’t worry that it’s a Sun Belt gimmick. My gut says it’s gonna have a real SEC feel to it.

Coach also said that he game planned according to his players' abilities. Maybe he can manage to get our roster to dominate the line of scrimmage, but he might want to plan around it instead of upon it.

Offensively: Our O-Line Coach has "quick sets" which excited me because of the aggression of it.... The O-Line seemed pretty solid (again CSU) solid technique much more aggressive than what we had... Seems to me they are more techniquly sound...

Tyson Helton: it seems to me that it is more of a spread with a tip of the cap to pro sets... He will incorporate the screen game regularly... Seems to me there are a lot of horizontal stretch concepts to his offense... And will burn you if you don't have eye discipline becaus ther are a lot of decoys in his concepts as well... Passing to running ratio is heavy pass lean in the game I watched... I gully expect that to get more balanced because of the league we are in and I expect their to be more concentration on the run game whenever he incorporates his offense here... With position coaches there typically isn't a lot of change... But with OC's and DC's you must adapt to your team so expect it to look different then you see at USC....

Defensively: I mean what can I say... As a Vols fan I hated watching Bama but as a Football Fan I loved watching Bama simply because of the aggression with which they play... FINALLY THE SHUFFLE TECHNIQUE Pruitt and Terry Fair use it... Of course the back peddle would be used too but the shuffle will get you a lot more vision to the QB and ball...
They run a lot of multiple things... 3-3-5, 4-2-5, 3-4-4 and even some 2-5-4 (on specialty occasions)
The names that pop out to me that will reap benefits for this move is... Warrior expect him to get to move around the field.... Also obviously bitulu, DK jr but also expect Reid and Taylor... On the back end shawnburger and a certain LB/SS from middle Tennessee we haven't for to see that much of yet...

Also, my FAVORITE thing about this defense is the cover 3 match that they will play it is a combo concepts of zone an man principles.... And will allow you to do a lot of stuff up front....

200w.webp

Good synopsis, thanks.

for the first time we will have our best players on the field....
Like CJP said you play your best players no matter who they are...
unlike years past where we watched some of our best players not play under a certain coach I refuse to name....
WE ARE BACK...
VOL FOOTBALL IS BACK....
GBO

You lost me at “eye discipline” because Butch said it so much. Kidding. Good post.

Reactions: 2 people

They obviously threw the ball around a lot at WKU but in his two years they were 3rd in CUSA in ypc. So they ran effectively. They were mid-pack in ypg. They first in passing in CUSA by more than 50 ypg in each of his two years. Top two in total O.

Reactions: 2 people
Can anyone answer this question? What is the big difference with swapping to 3-4? What size do they want the d line and linebackers?

Can anyone answer this question? What is the big difference with swapping to 3-4? What size do they want the d line and linebackers?

Well the big difference is when you go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 you basically type 3 first followed by a - then a 4.

J/K I have no idea, I played soccer.

You can bet that our QBs will be able to take a snap from under center! That aspect alone cost us two games this year.

Well the big difference is when you go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 you basically type 3 first followed by a - then a 4.

J/K I have no idea, I played soccer.

Hmmm.. well why is everyone complaining about that. Seems simple haha

Yes there is a lot I difference but the simple answer is a 3-4 has 3 DL so you have to worry about two gaps which usually means you want bigger body linemen and that would mean that you would have 4 OLB so you would have faster guys getting to the ball untouched... so that you can move horizontally faster so it's harder to "get the edge" on them... There is a lot more but tha is the simple way of putting it...

One of the biggest differences is the LB play. In a 3-4, you need excellent LB play. Big, fast LBs that can play great in coverage. Your DL have to be athletuc as well because of the gaps in the DL. Alabama runs a 3-4 but they have elite LB play.

We dont hwve anything that remotely resembles elite LB play. If Pruitt switched to a full time 3-4 next year it will be a huge disaster like it was in 2012. He may play some 3-4, but I think he will play much more 4-3.

One of the biggest differences is the LB play. In a 3-4, you need excellent LB play. Big, fast LBs that can play great in coverage. Your DL have to be athletuc as well because of the gaps in the DL. Alabama runs a 3-4 but they have elite LB play.

We dont hwve anything that remotely resembles elite LB play. If Pruitt switched to a full time 3-4 next year it will be a huge disaster like it was in 2012. He may play some 3-4, but I think he will play much more 4-3.

Bitulu says hi.... Kid will play on Sundays...

Thanks for all this. :hi:

VN Store

Back