SEC Combined Experience Ranking per Phil Steele

Dumb post. If these statistics were relevant then Alabama wouldn't be sitting a 6-1 and #4 in the nation because their ratings are only slightly higher than Tennessee's. Their ratings are #10, #8, #12 and #13 for an average ranking of 11th best.

Why people try to makes excuses is silly. The problem is simple, we have the worst offensive coaching staff in the SEC ... Bajakian must go!!! He's obviously a one trick pony and is unable to adapt to another system better suited to his players. Geesh !!!

Lol did you not see this?

Rank - Team - OL CAR STRS
1 - SC - 113
2 - AU - 113
3 - A&M - 89
4 - Vandy - 83
5 - MS St. - 81
6 - LSU - 75
7 - KY - 74
8 - MO - 72
9 - FL - 66
10 - Ole MS - 61
11 - GA - 54
12 - AR - 51
13 - BAMA - 37
14 - Vols - 6

I'm not talking about VS SEC.

I'm saying that, by midpoint in the season, our guys should be better than they were against UT-Chatt. They were awful in every aspect that an OL can be judged by against UT-Chatt.

What is so difficult to understand with that?

The fact that everyone simply responds with:

Must need a nap!

You're just a stupid pee wee coach!

You're a woman!

Is also pretty telling.

Y'all tell me why it's a-okay that our OL sucked as bad as they did against freakin' UT-Chattanooga.

No strawmen.

No ad hominem.

No diversionary arguments.

Address the UTC game straight up.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone is frustrated and we all hate to lose. But these facts should never be forgotten. We can't be so impatient that we give in to unrealistic expectations.

And there are real signs of improvement all over the field, if you only bother to look. The defense is good enough to win SEC games. We have seen big improvements on special teams. Darr is a weapon and Medley is performing above all of our expectations. All of the intangibles of effort, maturity and discipline are as good as they've been in recent memory. Even when players get beat, it's rarely because they didn't know where to line up. Some of the fundamental things that have been sloppy in the past are clearly improved -- most notably tackling. And that's to say nothing of the job this staff has done in recruiting.

The future is bright. We are still headed in the right direction. The "process" is painful, but necessary.

Reactions: 3 people
Dumb post. If these statistics were relevant then Alabama wouldn't be sitting a 6-1 and #4 in the nation because their ratings are only slightly higher than Tennessee's. Their ratings are #10, #8, #12 and #13 for an average ranking of 11th best.

Why people try to makes excuses is silly. The problem is simple, we have the worst offensive coaching staff in the SEC ... Bajakian must go!!! He's obviously a one trick pony and is unable to adapt to another system better suited to his players. Geesh !!!

It is not just about ranking, it is about the numbers that generate those rankings.
For example, what if every team other than Alabama and UT had 75 returning starts on the O-Line. Alabam had 74 and UT had 6. Alabama would be ranked 13th yet have a line with over 12 times as many starts.
Thus your focusing on rankings only and not the numbers is faulty reasoning.

Reactions: 2 people
I am fairly sure agent orange is a troll from another team. Ignore.

Not at all, actually.

Been watching UT football for about 20 years now. I went to UT as well. I remember chanting with the rest of the students section "go home alabama" to the Skynyrd tune in 2000.

Having an opposing viewpoint doesn't make you a "troll". I'm just not happy with mediocrity as some folks on here are.

I also realize that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a rocket explode after 150ft and say "Well, something went wrong there".

It's easier to spot problems than it is to fix them. I don't think I could fix our problems. I'm just saying I doubt Bajakian/Mahoney's ability to fix our problems.

I'm also quite tired of Jones' empty slogans that are nothing but reworded stuff we heard from Dooley.

So if all that makes me a troll, fine, I guess. Bury your head in the sand and ignore me and others on here that are very rationally criticizing what is a very unimpressive Year 2 for Jones and his crew.

It's easier for the weak minded to ignore opposing views than to address them, I guess.

Math is like garlic to these guys. All they can do is hiss from the shadows when confronted with numbers.

I gave my own numbers that have been labled as "trollish" and have all been ignored except for the one head-in-sand guy that said he'd rather have Citadels DL or some ridiculous denialism.

When is the last time they finished outside of the top 3 in recruiting? Experience is a factor, but in Alabama's case, they have the horsepower to overcome those shortcomings. We don't have that just yet.

Reactions: 4 people
Not at all, actually.

Been watching UT football for about 20 years now. I went to UT as well. I remember chanting with the rest of the students section "go home alabama" to the Skynyrd tune in 2000.

Having an opposing viewpoint doesn't make you a "troll". I'm just not happy with mediocrity as some folks on here are.

I also realize that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a rocket explode after 150ft and say "Well, something went wrong there".

It's easier to spot problems than it is to fix them. I don't think I could fix our problems. I'm just saying I doubt Bajakian/Mahoney's ability to fix our problems.

I'm also quite tired of Jones' empty slogans that are nothing but reworded stuff we heard from Dooley.

So if all that makes me a troll, fine, I guess. Bury your head in the sand and ignore me and others on here that are very rationally criticizing what is a very unimpressive Year 2 for Jones and his crew.

It's easier for the weak minded to ignore opposing views than to address them, I guess.

Claiming that other fans are happy with mediocrity or that they're weak-minded because they don't agree with you is not helping your argument. It's just making you look childish.

And your whining about not winning right now was already making you look childish, so...yeah, not a good combination.

Reactions: 8 people
I get it.

Until we had UT-Chatt roll into Neyland and put up how many sacks? Our RBs put up a mediocre 3.4ypc against the stalwart UT-Chatt defense.

The Citadel, by the way, put up 4.02ypc against UT-Chatt. Central Michigan put up 4ypc. Samford put up 3ypc.

So I guess our guys are worse than the Citadels and Central Michigans. Our OL of SEC offered guys are just above Samford.

We are getting what we paid for. MAC results with SEC guys from a MAC staff.

Deny deny deny away!

Clearly you don't "get it"

I gave my own numbers that have been labled as "trollish" and have all been ignored except for the one head-in-sand guy that said he'd rather have Citadels DL or some ridiculous denialism.

So your numbers are better than a guy who get's paid to analyze numbers? I would highly suggest that you start your own website.

Clearly you don't "get it"

Apparently wanting to see improvement on our OL by mid-season and not accepting MAC-level ypc against UT-Chatt is the same as wanting to beat Bama.

And calling people out on a stark lack of reading comprehension is "childish".

What is the Tennessee version of a Gump? A billy? We have a lot of billy goats in this thread.

BUH MUH FRESHMENS

The fact that everyone simply responds with:

Must need a nap!

You're just a stupid pee wee coach!

You're a woman!

Is also pretty telling.

Y'all tell me why it's a-okay that our OL sucked as bad as they did against freakin' UT-Chattanooga.

No strawmen.

No ad hominem.

No diversionary arguments.

Address the UTC game straight up.

we won that game

Reactions: 6 people
So your numbers are better than a guy who get's paid to analyze numbers? I would highly suggest that you start your own website.

Phil Steele was giving this outlook at the beginning of the season.

LSU, as Steele noted, was very inexperienced. Their early season struggles showed that. However, due to coaching they improved and are now actually looking like a decent team.

Tennessee, in my mind, has not improved. I used a very cupcake opponent in mid-season (which Steele's numbers don't account for) to see how our team did.

The numbers in the box score say we didn't do well.

Numbers don't lie.

Don't compare pre-season "inexperience" to mid-season crap. They don't compare. I believe it was the Oklahoma game where some commentator was talking about how few starts UT's OL had and the other commentator (I believe it was Stinchcomb) said "well, they all have multiple starts under their belt, it's time to show up".

Something around those lines.

Anyway, I get we have inexperience. I get we will look bad against Ole Miss and Bama who have legit OLs. My problem is the glaring lack of viable progress.

Apparently wanting to see improvement on our OL by mid-season and not accepting MAC-level ypc against UT-Chatt is the same as wanting to beat Bama.

What is the Tennessee version of a Gump? A billy? We have a lot of billy goats in this thread.

BUH MUH FRESHMENS

Have you considered that they are just not very good? The fact that a one legged player is better than the "starter" should give you some insight as to the level of talent we are working with. Carry on with your coaching rants.

Oklahoma beat Texas despite being outgained 232-482. First downs were 11-24. TOP was 37:00-22:00.

Nobody could point out the writing on the wall there? It was a win, by the way.

Phil Steele was giving this outlook at the beginning of the season.

LSU, as Steele noted, was very inexperienced. Their early season struggles showed that. However, due to coaching they improved and are now actually looking like a decent team.

Tennessee, in my mind, has not improved. I used a very cupcake opponent in mid-season (which Steele's numbers don't account for) to see how our team did.

The numbers in the box score say we didn't do well.

Numbers don't lie.

Don't compare pre-season "inexperience" to mid-season crap. They don't compare. I believe it was the Oklahoma game where some commentator was talking about how few starts UT's OL had and the other commentator (I believe it was Stinchcomb) said "well, they all have multiple starts under their belt, it's time to show up".

Something around those lines.

Anyway, I get we have inexperience. I get we will look bad against Ole Miss and Bama who have legit OLs. My problem is the glaring lack of viable progress.

You keep ignoring one simple fact of talent, talent wins games. Are you suggesting that UT has the same level of talent as LSU? Again you keep using "facts" that have nothing to do with your analysis, UT does not have the level of talent that you assume or claim it does.

Have you considered that they are just not very good? The fact that a one legged player is better than the "starter" should give you some insight as to the level of talent we are working with. Carry on with your coaching rants.

And a RS FR 3* converted TE playing RT combined with 2 walk-ons that were 260lb apiece are high talent?

Wait, nevermind. We got results in 2009. This doesn't fit the narrative.

Okay, how about our upperclassmen laden OL last year. 4 are on NFL rosters and 2 are starting.

Why wasn't UT's very senior (and obviously capable) OL being trumpeted last year?

BUH MUH FRESHMENS

You could have just typed, "You're right, I'm childish."

Would have saved you some typing.

It is not just about ranking, it is about the numbers that generate those rankings.
For example, what if every team other than Alabama and UT had 75 returning starts on the O-Line. Alabam had 74 and UT had 6. Alabama would be ranked 13th yet have a line with over 12 times as many starts.
Thus your focusing on rankings only and not the numbers is faulty reasoning.

When is the last time they finished outside of the top 3 in recruiting? Experience is a factor, but in Alabama's case, they have the horsepower to overcome those shortcomings. We don't have that just yet.

Great points.

In every category except OL experience Tennessee is at least 1 standard deviation below the mean in this data.

In OL experience we are actually 2 standard deviation's below the mean. This is something that is a once in a generation occurrence.

Bama's data is fairly close to the norm on all counts except for OL experience where they have struggled a bit to generate push until last week.

You keep ignoring one simple fact of talent, talent wins games. Are you suggesting that UT has the same level of talent as LSU? Again you keep using "facts" that have nothing to do with your analysis, UT does not have the level of talent that you assume or claim it does.

Talent is a requirement so long as the coaches need it for results.

And, again, I'm not expecting UT to do well. I expected 6-6 with struggles in big games.

I am just not buying that UT, by mid-season, is excusable to still have been struggling in pass protection and in the run game like we were against UT-Chattanooga.

I'm also a bit curious as to why 3 academic Sophomores are still basically unheard of. Kendrick, Sanders and Weisman are nowhere to be seen.

Oklahoma beat Texas despite being outgained 232-482. First downs were 11-24. TOP was 37:00-22:00.

Nobody could point out the writing on the wall there? It was a win, by the way.

What writing on the wall? UT lost by 3 points to UGA but Missouri lost by 38 to UGA. Is UT 35 points better than Missouri? UGA steamrolled Arky but Bama struggled with them, is UGA two touchdowns better than Bama? Bama beat Tx a and m by 50 points yet Mississippi only beat them by 14, is Bama 35 points better than Mississippi?

VN Store

Back