SEC locations

Savannahbayvol

just for fun how I would rate the SEC locations by great place to live:

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
2A. Knoxville- Lex great place to live if you are connected to BlueGrass Society, for us regular people Knoxville would be rated higher
3. Austin- never been just going on what I have heard
4. Athens- not that great by itself but close proximity to Atlanta
5. Columbia SC- somewhat prejudiced as I had many good customers there, would be higher if 10 degrees cooler
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
8. Auburn- kind of quaint
9. Gainesville, if you are in Florida and not within 100 yards of the beach its basically South Georgia
10. CoMo- town wasn't bad but talk about the middle of nowhere
11. College Station- never been, just word of mouth
12. Oxford- quaint like Auburn
13. Fayetteville- never been
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole
15. Starkville, great people

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I've been to all of them but Norman, COMO and College Station. I guess one's opinion is based upon what you are looking for. I had an office in Columbia, SC, and rate it dead last
Hottest place on the planet. If you live in the Southeast, whatever your current temp is in June - August , add 5-7 degrees and that’s Columbia’s temp

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
2A. Knoxville- Lex great place to live if you are connected to BlueGrass Society, for us regular people Knoxville would be rated higher
5. Columbia SC- somewhat prejudiced as I had many good customers there, would be higher if 10 degrees cooler
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
9. Gainesville, if you are in Florida and not within 100 yards of the beach its basically South Georgia
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole
Columbia is just the border town between the SC Lowcountry and the upstate region around Greenville-Spartanburg. There's nothing there to see worth the stop

Columbia is just the border town between the SC Lowcountry and the upstate region around Greenville-Spartanburg. There's nothing there to see worth the stop
if you like concrete Colombia SC is the place for you.

Granted I didn't make a truly concerted effort to find it, but I didn't find anywhere really to hang out in Colombia that wasn't geared towards college kids. and even that bit wasn't really in downtown, where you could walk around from place to place.

Guess i am prejudiced since i had many good customers and friends there. Definitely didnt like the heat

Norman isn't a bad place at all-if you happen to like that general geographic area of the country. Many good things in that Oklahoma City/DFW corridor.

Austin was awesome about 30 years ago. Had the perfect little mixture of hippie and cowboy-something for everyone. I love quirky cities so for quite a while there in the late 90s was trying to engineer a move to Austin. Honestly glad things didn't work out. City kind of lost its soul a bit in the last couple of decades-partly just due to growth but mainly as the city has gotten extreme. Last few times I was there, couldn't wait to get back on the interstate headed north.

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole
I would put Fayetteville higher on the list. Lots of outdoor hobbies near by.

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole
Our oldest daughter lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years. We had extended visits, probably, 11-12 times. Summer heat/humidity is BRUTAL, though we really enjoyed the town and campus.

I've been to all of them but Norman, COMO and College Station. I guess one's opinion is based upon what you are looking for. I had an office in Columbia, SC, and rate it dead last
Columbia, MO has some nice spots downtown. We ate at a restaurant there on our way through last year. Couldn’t say much more than that, though. We were just passing through.

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole

Being close to Atlanta should put Athens at the very bottom of the list

If one had to live in Texas, Austin would be the only place I could live. Nashville is a good place to live but is beginning to get too big. No to Auburn, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Lexington, Oxford, Baton Rouge, Starkville, Columbia, Anywhere in Oklahoma, anywhere in Florida, and Fayetteville. I am retired and can can livei just about anywhere I want to , and fortunately, I picked East Tennessee.

Fayetteville is criminally underrated. In the middle of the Ozarks with very thing you could want due to all the money in NWA.

Austin is underrated for the live music and comedy scene.

Athens is wayyy overrated. It's a complete ****hole outside of the bar scene on a gameday.

1. Nashville
2. Lexington
6. Norman
7. Baton Rouge
14. Tuscaloosa- shithole
Athens isn't a horrible place, except for UGA😁, but I definitely wouldn't give them a bump up for being close to Atlanta. Atlanta sucks.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Our oldest daughter lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years. We had extended visits, probably, 11-12 times. Summer heat/humidity is BRUTAL, though we really enjoyed the town and campus.
I can't believe I've lived here in BR for 40 yrs! But I still miss the hills all the time and would move back to Knoxville in a heartbeat, or even Nashville, maybe. Baton Rouge has good food and music. I hate the weather and it is getting worse. LSU fans ... I don't hate 'em, they just roll along in their own world of jolly cocky denial. Ignorance is bliss, I guess

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I can't believe I've lived here in BR for 40 yrs! But I still miss the hills all the time and would move back to Knoxville in a heartbeat, or even Nashville, maybe. Baton Rouge has good food and music. I hate the weather and it is getting worse. LSU fans ... I don't hate 'em, they just roll along in their own world of jolly cocky denial. Ignorance is bliss, I guess
One thing I noticed when we visited, those crazy Cajans work their a$$ off Monday thru Friday and party their a$$ off Friday thru Sunday. Living life to the fullest.........

Lived in Athens 2 years and would never go back. Outside of the university crime is ridiculous. Had my truck broken in twice with electronics taken each time.

Like most people, I couldn’t afford to live in Nashville’s
I wouldn't want to live in Nashville even if I had unlimited money. It's even more of a trafficky hellscape than Atlanta, which is really saying something. At least Atlanta has MARTA, so you can park OTP and ride into downtown.

Of the SEC towns I've visited, Lexington is the winner for me. Although Athens also seemed quite nice.

VN Store

Back