SEC Schools Athletic Dept Revenue 2022

hbvol1982

#GBO 🍊
Attached is a compilation of the SEC Schools Athletic Dept Revenue for 2022. I added in Texas and Oklahoma for Comparison. Vanderbilt publishes no info as a private school. Thoughts:
  • This will go up alot starting in 2024 with new ESPN/ABC TV deal.
  • Total conference revenue would have been > 2.6 billion with Vandy in 2022.
  • Total Licensing Fees > 1.1 billion.
  • Vols best position 4th in rights/licensing (Bama #1) as well as student fees (GA #1)
  • Vols 8th in Ticket Sales (TX-AM #1), 8th in Contributions (LSU #1)
  • The dreaded "Other" category has impact. See Oklahoma >13 mil more than UT in Other
  • Texas Revenue is enormous at >84 mil more than Vols.
  • See attached spreadsheet.....

Attachments

• SEC Schools Revenue 2022.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 73
Attached is a compilation of the SEC Schools Athletic Dept Revenue for 2022. I added in Texas and Oklahoma for Comparison. Vanderbilt publishes no info as a private school. Thoughts:
  • This will go up alot starting in 2024 with new ESPN/ABC TV deal.
  • Total conference revenue would have been > 2.6 billion with Vandy in 2022.
  • Total Licensing Fees > 1.1 billion.
  • Vols best position 4th in rights/licensing (Bama #1) as well as student fees (GA #1)
  • Vols 8th in Ticket Sales (TX-AM #1), 8th in Contributions (LSU #1)
  • The dreaded "Other" category has impact. See Oklahoma >13 mil more than UT in Other
  • Texas Revenue is enormous at >84 mil more than Vols.
  • See attached spreadsheet.....
1687800974554.png

How is it TN is 18th in the nation in revenue? Seems embarrassingly low, no?

Where are other schools separating themselves from us, especially in SEC?

USA Today: Tennessee athletics finished 18th in total revenue in 2022
I don’t know how all the inside stuff works but I’d also imagine that it can be different YOY depending on individual donor situations in a particular year. Also I’d expect maybe some $$$ sitting on the sidelines to see the proof that JH and team was legit. If so, money prob started coming in this year. I’d imagine there’s a good bump this year. Also is it possible some money was channeled to Neyland stadium upgrades…not sure how things are allocated if Neyland is considered university or football contributions? Just questions I don’t know the answer to but ultimately I am not too worried about the money side of UT football.

Well, maybe, but look at Texas. The coach there is Steve Sarkisian. The way football is TODAY, you don't get more just by paying more.

I guess the real action is NIL, and so a lot of this athletic dept revenue in these figures is kinda doing nothing. Maybe remodel some urinals with it or something.

There was another thread on this topic in the football section where DeerPark had some good insight

You will never get a true apples-to-apples comparison because the on-campus finances from school to school vary dramatically as far as what is athletics revenue and what isn’t.

I will use Ohio State as an example here, since they are the top school on this list. Ohio State began using the athletics logo as its university logo. So the school, medical center, and a whole bunch of other departments end up paying the athletics department a licensing fee to use the logo. When Tennessee adopted the power T as the Knoxville campus logo, there was no such agreement, it just became the one standard mark.

Annual giving is another area where things are accounted for differently at different schools. Ohio State still allows donors to give to academic programs but receive athletic credit for it. So their donations end up being $48 million more than Tennessee when not all of that is necessarily athletics. Ohio State also controls its on-campus arena and revenue from concerts and other events go to the athletic department, rather than the university. The athletic department there does assume some risk and they are responsible for debt service, maintenance and upkeep, insurance, etc. But in years like this, it paid off for them. Here, the university owns and operates Thompson Boling, so revenue from major events does not go to the athletics department.

Parking is another huge area. At most schools, athletics controls the parking and revenue for athletic events. At UT, they do not. The athletics department actually rents out the lots from parking services and much of the parking fee that you pay goes to parking services, rather than athletics. Every penny of those $10 a car single-game parking fees in the garages for basketball games, concerts, all of that goes to parking services and not athletics.

But ultimately, this disparity in donations is what Danny White has spent the last two years talking about. Tennessee was way behind in donations because they still allowed so many grandfathered seats to generate zero revenue. We had people making one donation and getting tickets to football, men’s and women’s basketball and baseball off of it, where our peer schools are getting a donation for each, then tickets on top of it. When Danny changed it, people complained, but they had to close the gap. These numbers reflect the last year before the donation system fully changed.

Reactions: njvols and DonDiego
This doesn’t make any sense. With the way the football and basketball programs draw fans I don’t see how some of those schools could possibly be ahead of us

The article addresses total AD revenue, not net profit. I'm just amazed schools like Kentucky and Auburn can draw more revenue.
They’ve hoisted trophies. We’ve been struggling to hold onto fans and lost all the bandwagon fan money because of irrelevance. You don’t see UT gear in middle TN and west but people wear Bama/UGA/Auburn gear all the time.

There was another thread on this topic in the football section where DeerPark had some good insight
A very astute post by DeerPark. I suspect our revenue might have been more with different accounting, and certainly will be more in the future with the changes White has made. Thanks for sharing that.

Reactions: njvols

VN Store

Back