SEC votes unanimously to allow Texas and OU in

I hear this a lot but I don’t think it’s true.

That is unless they are in our newly aligned division or the rotation schedule increases to 9 games and the National title doesn’t account for strength of schedule and the CFP doesn’t expand.

Recruiting will take a hit but mainly for the top programs. We are still competing with mid tier ones.

Hopefully is dilutes Bama’s talent gap.
We just went two more rungs down the SEC ladder. I don't know how anyone could honestly see it differently. I'm not saying it's impossible for us to come back, I don't believe that, I'll never believe that, but it'll be harder now.

Great move for Texas and OU, sucks for pretty much everyone else. Our job just got even harder.
I’m not so sure about that?
If the two divisions change, as expected, with Missouri going to the West and Bama and Auburn going to the East, I don’t see it really hurting us much but it will definitely hurt UF and UGA. While we will swap Missouri for Auburn, UF and UGA will have to play Bama every year.

I can't control anything in College football except for who I cheer for and how long will I be a fan. With that said; I've just felt over the last twenty years or so the "Money" and "Safety" ideas have taken over College Football..... not saying it is all bad, but I will say eventually.... it will be the downfall of a game that used to be played with heart and passion.... now, not so much.

Enjoy it while you still can.

I don't think they'll wait til 2025, they'll probably negotiate that amount down and OU and Texas will be in the SEC next season, just my opinion but that's how the A&M and Missouri deal went down, but we'll see. I hate it to be honest i can't stand either team
Yes. There’s no way they will be “lame ducks” for 2 or 3 more seasons. I bet they are in next year too.

We just went two more rungs down the SEC ladder. I don't know how anyone could honestly see it differently. I'm not saying it's impossible for us to come back, I don't believe that, I'll never believe that, but it'll be harder now.

The day Tennessee is good enough to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, they'll be good enough to beat Oklahoma and Texas

There is so much change happening to college football all at once. I’m just not sure most fans are going to like to end result, which I believe will show to be those teams that are good now, will be in perpetuity.
Not good for most fans. But eff the fans, right commissioners?

Reactions: CA_Vol
SMH

It really is just about money. Time to just watch the NFL.
No disrespect, but it has always been about the money, they are just publicizing it now. College sports has never cared about you, the fan, they just previously tried to give it that appearance

The day Tennessee is good enough to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, they'll be good enough to beat Oklahoma and Texas
Failing to understand how teams "come up".

Imagine if UT could do away with the Bama game the last 15 years. That means more bowl games, better recruiting, possibly fewer coaches rotated.

You can't seriously think Clemson came up while beating the best. You build up...then beat the best.

They will start SEC play in 2023
That will give time to ensure that the funding issues can be cleared. I think the ESPN package with the SEC will be renegotiated in a positive manner, but the early admissions would cut the payouts until the terms are settled.

Great move for Texas and OU, sucks for pretty much everyone else. Our job just got even harder.

The fans are fine doing their job, but the admin has not ponied up for over a decade to pay for a top-tier coach. Last year we were third to the bottom of the list in HC pay, just a tad above Vandy and Arkansas. They have not cared about the Vols football program for a real long time. Sure can't blame Jimmy H. anymore either.

Just for the sake of FLA (never getting back in the SEC champ game) hope we stay with two divisions with Bama and Auburn heading into the East.

No disrespect, but it has always been about the money, they are just publicizing it now. College sports has never cared about you, the fan, they just previously tried to give it that appearance
Actually, no it hasn’t. I became a college football fan when very few of any coaches were getting filthy rich. That’s when coaches (the majority) were in it for the pageantry of the sport and developing young men. It escalated (or deteriorated) quickly. Go look at college coach’s salaries in 1988. There were very few schools where a coach could get filthy rich and assistants who made up the majority of coaching jobs didn’t come close. Now, Butch Jones is making $825k to coach Ark. State.

In 1998 the average coach’s salary was $417,000.

If you can’t look at the absurd buyouts and see that you’ve lost your mind.

Actually, no it hasn’t. I became a college football fan when very few of any coaches were getting filthy rich. That’s when coaches (the majority) were in it for the pageantry of the sport and developing young men. It escalated (or deteriorated) quickly. Go look at college coach’s salaries in 1988. There were very few schools where a coach could get filthy rich and assistants who made up the majority of coaching jobs didn’t come close. Now, Butch Jones is making $825k to coach Ark. State.

Lololololol you must not be very good at research. The "modern-era" of college football started in 1984, and that's when coaches at major D1 schools earned an average of seven figures or more because that is when conferences started to negotiate tv contracts. So unless you were a fan in the 60's or 70's then you are sadly mistaken about it not being a business and it being about the "pageantry and developing young men." Again, unless you're a boomer, then its only been about pageantry and tradition to the fans. To everyone else involved it's a business.

Last edited:
Imagine if UT could do away with the Bama game the last 15 years. That means more bowl games, better recruiting, possibly fewer coaches rotated.

Bama is our top (longest) rival going back to Neyland and Bryant.
No way do we drop that one.

Would rather get dragged, than playing chicken Sh** just because our school is not committed to paying the big $$$ for a true and proven head coach.

Reactions: chuckb1448
There is so much change happening to college football all at once. I’m just not sure most fans are going to like to end result, which I believe will show to be those teams that are good now, will be in perpetuity.
I think it will be unrecognizable as we know it in short order.

NIL was the right thing to do by the kids but the "money" sports are going to be much different as time passes.

Reactions: CA_Vol

Tell me more about it not being a business.......Here are some coaches salaries in 1988, might want to have a look at that certain UT coach's salary. But ya know it was about "pageantry" hahahahahahaha

Arkansas’ Lou Holtz, $226,000; Kentucky’s Jerry Claiborne, who previously coached at the University of Maryland, $152,500; Miami’s Howard Schnellenberger, $150,000; Colorado’s Chuck Fairbanks, $150,000; Michigan’s Bo Schembechler, $147,500; Nebraska’s Tom Osborne, $140,500, and Florida State’s Bobby Bowden, $140,000, the Herald reported.

Other top 20 notables are Tennessee’s Johnny Majors at $128,500; Florida’s Charley Pell at $123,000; USC’s John Robinson and Penn State’s Joe Paterno at $102,500, and Georgia’s Vince Dooley at $100,000.

Tell me more about it not being a business.......Here are some coaches salaries in 1988, might want to have a look at that certain UT coach's salary. But ya know it was about "pageantry" hahahahahahaha

Arkansas’ Lou Holtz, $226,000; Kentucky’s Jerry Claiborne, who previously coached at the University of Maryland, $152,500; Miami’s Howard Schnellenberger, $150,000; Colorado’s Chuck Fairbanks, $150,000; Michigan’s Bo Schembechler, $147,500; Nebraska’s Tom Osborne, $140,500, and Florida State’s Bobby Bowden, $140,000, the Herald reported.

Other top 20 notables are Tennessee’s Johnny Majors at $128,500; Florida’s Charley Pell at $123,000; USC’s John Robinson and Penn State’s Joe Paterno at $102,500, and Georgia’s Vince Dooley at $100,000.
Uh, you can’t be serious?

But that so die proving my point.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989

Agree. Also, I think that OU and Texas are put in the West with Missouri and we will only see them every four years. The big issue will be Alabama and Auburn coming to the East. We already have Alabama but Auburn replacing Missouri as an annual opponent may be tough. Granted, Auburn looks like it maybe down right now. Firing Gus will haunt them.

I don't understand anyone thinking that Texas is not in the same shape we are. They have many of the same issues and there is no guarantee that there problems are any more fixed than ours. Only time will tell.

VN Store

Back