Shoop's D: Article explaining why it works at MSU, failed at Tennessee

“And I think one of the things, looking back, that I really tried to do at Tennessee, whether it was to my detriment or whatever, was to try to fit into that culture – and really, in some ways, never got a chance to be myself or who I was.”

With Moorhead’s blessing, Shoop is operating MSU’s defense just the way he wants.
The results are striking

How Bob Shoop found success at Mississippi State and where it went wrong with UT Vols.
They have LSU, A&M, and AL coming up though.

Reactions: feathersax
“And I think one of the things, looking back, that I really tried to do at Tennessee, whether it was to my detriment or whatever, was to try to fit into that culture – and really, in some ways, never got a chance to be myself or who I was.”

With Moorhead’s blessing, Shoop is operating MSU’s defense just the way he wants.
The results are striking

How Bob Shoop found success at Mississippi State and where it went wrong with UT Vols.

Simple!!! When CBJ saw how Shoop shut down the Gators O in 2016 in the second half of the game where UT was behind by 3 TDS and UT won PRIMARILY due to SHOOP and DEBOARD. CBJ felt insecure as a HC and didn't want Shoop to shine and take his job!!! That is very clear at this point!!! I thought it was a possibility the entire time after that game. You don't go from being a sharp D mind to a subpar coordinator overnight!!! CBJ ALWAYS TALKED ABOUT PLAYERS BEING PRIDEFUL. IT WAS HIS PRIDE THAT DIDN'T HOLD ONTO DEBOARD and ALLOW SHOOP TO RUN HIS D that COST BUTCH HIS JOB SOONER, RATHER THAN LATER!!! If DEBOARD didn't leave probably because CBJ tinkered with his O, we probably still have CBJ. Thank God Deboard left. He was a great OC. Even though, he had a stud like Dobbs.

Reactions: 08Vol
Knox News falsely claims I've reached my max of 10 articles when I don't think I've read one. Can anyone copy/paste the article?

The results are striking

In other words, he regrets working under Butch.

I never understood that. Of course I don't think he was ever a line cook there
He did all the menu creation at corporate. At least that is how I understood it. Used to be a destination for us when we’re were kids.

Butch was basically cocaine....looked great and glamorous at first, but quickly destroyed everything he touched here.

He did all the menu creation at corporate. At least that is how I understood it. Used to be a destination for us when we’re were kids.
There was not a HoJo within 100 miles of the small town I lived in so I never went. The only thing in my town was a Dairy Queen and in the next town over or special treat we sometimes went to Whataburger

Last edited:
Having to fit "Botch's culture" at UT is why Shoop was not successful. We paid to bring his upper-level coaching talent here, but he was ultimately tainted and hindered by our "dime store" head coach. I wish him all the best - except when he plays the Vols.

Who would have guessed that Butch Jones was toxic to everyone he worked with? Not even a defensive genius with elite defenses at multiple stops could succeed. Shocking I tell you.

The other thing people overlook about Shoop's time at Tennessee (on top of the injuries and culture) is how much Butch's offense was screwing him over.

Shoop's stats were much better in the 1st Quarter than they were in the 4th Quarter. Even the 2016 offense, which people (wrongly IMO) viewed as 'great', was harming the defense immensely with a huge number of turnovers, constant series of quick 3-and-outs, and when they did score, they scored very quickly so the D never got much rest.

That Vandy game in 2016 is a great example. People look at our yardage stats and think the offense was fine, but most of those yards came in the 1st half and the 2nd half was filled with offensive ineptitude. This is part of the reason I've said Butch simply doesn't understand game strategy. He doesn't consider that the other team driving the ball for 5 minutes on the defense, followed by a 3 and out series that only last 40 seconds, doesn't give our D time to rest. He just mindlessly tried to run a quick-paced offense regardless of circumstance.
It seemed like our offense would score at will and then go anemic.

Shoop was a good DC before he got here, while he was here and now that he's at Miss St, of course here didn't work out because of Butch trying to have his hand in something he knew absolutely nothing about. I was excited when we hired Shoop but Butch messed that up and I knew he would get back to being the DC he's always been at a different School once he got away from Butch

Interesting, that's not how I remember it at all. I remember it as Clawson was allowed to install his offense, and it was not able to be run by a confused Crompton et al. As the losses piled up, articles starting appearing about how it would take two years to implement. Problem was, Fulmer didn't have two years to let Clausen make it work. So at that point--too late--he intervened and simplified the offense to something Crompton could run. Anyway, that's how I remember it.
There were rumors that the O-Line coach refused to do what Clawson wanted and that Clawson never had the full support of Fulmer. Crompton was a small piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
I think there is no bigger proof or body of evidence of how poor a head football coach Butch Jones was/is, than Shoop's failure as DC at UT.

Reactions: 08Vol
The other thing people overlook about Shoop's time at Tennessee (on top of the injuries and culture) is how much Butch's offense was screwing him over.

Shoop's stats were much better in the 1st Quarter than they were in the 4th Quarter. Even the 2016 offense, which people (wrongly IMO) viewed as 'great', was harming the defense immensely with a huge number of turnovers, constant series of quick 3-and-outs, and when they did score, they scored very quickly so the D never got much rest.

That Vandy game in 2016 is a great example. People look at our yardage stats and think the offense was fine, but most of those yards came in the 1st half and the 2nd half was filled with offensive ineptitude. This is part of the reason I've said Butch simply doesn't understand game strategy. He doesn't consider that the other team driving the ball for 5 minutes on the defense, followed by a 3 and out series that only last 40 seconds, doesn't give our D time to rest. He just mindlessly tried to run a quick-paced offense regardless of circumstance.
There are a TON of coaches that don't understand that. One down on the Plains in particular.

Fulmer was handcuffed by the admin. He wanted to hire Debord and they wouldn't give him any cash the season after he went to an SEC title game and won 10 games.

Agree on the rest

Compare that with "we want the best, the best is Nick Saban, go get Nick Saban and pay what it takes to get that signature." It's mind-bogglingly irritating to think about how much of the success Tennessee has missed out on for a decade was simply due to pinching pennies and undermining or ignoring program needs.

Reactions: 08Vol and GRN1926
Compare that with "we want the best, the best is Nick Saban, go get Nick Saban and pay what it takes to get that signature." It's mind-bogglingly irritating to think about how much of the success Tennessee has missed out on for a decade was simply due to pinching pennies and undermining or ignoring program needs.

Hamilton,thus the Haslam's, were handed the keys to a well tuned Ferrari. They proceeded to drive it straight into the ditch. Then never jerked it out of the ditch though, they just stayed there and followed it until they drove it off the cliff. Pride before the fall.

It's amazing what ego while drive people to do.

The results are striking

Waiting for the “Butch wasn’t a micromanager” crowd to show up.

VN Store

Back