Shoot your shot...

Vescovi, Aidoo and Knecht should all lead the team in scoring at some point during the season.

JJJ will be the glue guy and defensive anchor of this team.
Aidoo? I mean he may lead the team in scoring one or two games but that’s an odd pick to be the leading scorer. I bet Awaka averages more points than Aidoo.

Santi was leading scorer last year by nearly a full 2 points. And year before he was half point behind KC.

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t leading scorer.
I share your opinion, but am hoping DK can be the type scorer to challenge Vescovi for the team lead as having another legit stout scoring option would really improve our squad.

I share your opinion, but am hoping DK can be the type scorer to challenge Vescovi for the team lead as having another legit stout scoring option would really improve our squad.
I think Knecht will be good for us, not sure he’s going to get the same number of minutes though as Vescovi and late in games when we are shooting FTs I’m guessing it’ll be Vescovi over Knecht.

I think Knecht will be good for us, not sure he’s going to get the same number of minutes though as Vescovi and late in games when we are shooting FTs I’m guessing it’ll be Vescovi over Knecht.
Knecht should be our best offensive player.

I think Knecht's playing time will be directly proportional to how much his defense has improved.

I need to see how well Dalton Knecht transitions into SEC play first before I can anoint him as a lead scorer. Until then it should be Vescovi. My concern with him is like he's been with the team feels like 10 years. I can only imagine the file other teams have built on him in defending him.

Reactions: berryvol
If they are both on the floor they both should benefit from defenses not being able to overplay to one side. A scoring point will be key as well. If they both pan out it will also be tougher to double down on our bigs as defenses have to close out. Minute distribution will be fun to watch this year with a billion variants available. Should enable hard defensive pressure full game. Hope the squad does a full mesh thing.

If they are both on the floor they both should benefit from defenses not being able to overplay to one side. A scoring point will be key as well. If they both pan out it will also be tougher to double down on our bigs as defenses have to close out. Minute distribution will be fun to watch this year with a billion variants available. Should enable hard defensive pressure full game. Hope the squad does a full mesh thing.
We don’t have a big that other teams will want to double down on IMHO. We have enough outside shooting strength to make teams pay for doubling the post. Don’t recall Aidoo nor Awaka being doubled last year when they received the ball in the post.

This may be one of those teams with 3 or 4 guys averaging 12-14 ppg and no one really leading the pack.
It seems like most Barnes-coached Tennessee teams have been like this.

We haven't had a significant gap in scorers since Grant and Admiral's last season when they averaged 18.8 and 16.5. And even that team still actually had 5 guys average in double-figures, so pretty balanced.

Barnes's first year, Kevin Punter averaged 22.2 and the next closest was Armani Moore at 12.2.

2015-16: 22.2, 12.2, 10.6, 9.5, 8.4
2016-17: 13.7, 12.6, 10.5, 8.2, 8.2
2017-18: 15.2, 13.9, 10.9, 9.1, 7.3
2018-19: 18.8, 16.5, 13.5, 10.9, 10.6
2019-20: 13.7, 13.7, 12.3, 10.8, 10.7
2020-21: 12.5, 11.3, 10.9, 9.5, 8.7, 8.7
2021-22: 13.9, 13.3, 10.3, 8.8, 8.6
2022-23: 12.5 10.8, 10.7, 10.0, 8.3

We don’t have a big that other teams will want to double down on IMHO. We have enough outside shooting strength to make teams pay for doubling the post. Don’t recall Aidoo nor Awaka being doubled last year when they received the ball in the post.
Awaka can be a load if the defenders can’t cheat down to stop his movement to the goal after an entry and for sure make rebounding of his or others misses a lot easier when not crowded below the 3 pt line. It of course also creates more driving lanes. 2 FEARED long ballers is a good thing.

I said it was the 🦒's breakout year and I'm standing by it. Aidoo leads the team in scoring. But, if I was going to bet on it, I would take Vescovi

JJJ will be the leading scorer IMO barring another injury plagued season because of the many different ways he can score the ball. I would say Santi with a bullet, but he disappears for long stretches at a time sometimes.
Goodness I couldn't have been further off on this one, haha. I guess since Barnes had a track record of not bringing in transfers that made a big splash, I had no clue what Dalton Knect was capable of. Thank goodness I was wrong, because he was a godsend.

A lot of horribly aged takes in this thread but I think this one might take the cake. No offense

Lots of misses in this thread

Easy and boring answer is probably Santi, maybe even Dilione... but my prediction is Dalton Knecht. 3 level scorer who likely shoots 40% from 3 this year. We haven't had a guy that can slash to the rim like him in a while either imo.

Maybe we can also celebrate the takes that in retrospect were prescient, instead of just making fun of the misses

Shows that several people on here that laugh at and ridicule others for their opinions are just as ridiculous in some of their “knowledgeable “ forecasting.
Their opinions are no more accurate than others.

VN Store

Back