Short Yardage RB?

Um, I believe AJ had 6 rushing TDs that year. There are plenty of fulltime running backs who don't have 6 rushing tds in a season.

SIGH! The point is, rather than use Jeremy Banks for short yardage, due to a lack of big bodied RBs, use a real heavyweight from the DL or OL. Chicago did it with Perry. And I wasn't disparaging AJ, just saying opponents figure out what was coming whenever he entered for the OL, and lined up accordingly as Georgia did. See, I figure a really big body has a better chance to slam, bam, and thank you mam into the endzone better than JB. Whether the opposition expects it or not. Like honey badgers, bulldozer ball carriers just don't care.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Simmons is the obvious answer. 340 Lbs Crashing the LOS Behind Wright/Spraggins?

I think Spraggins has the attitude that would make him the best choice. I think he has a MOVE or be MOVED mindset. Ihe question for whoever we pick as a bull dozer short yardage RB is whether they have the burst to quickly build up momentum to allow their size to make their inertia meaningful.

I think Spraggins has the attitude that would make him the best choice. I think he has a MOVE or be MOVED mindset. Ihe question for whoever we pick as a bull dozer short yardage RB is whether they have the burst to quickly build up momentum to allow their size to make their inertia meaningful.

"Inertia"? Dang, I thought we were talking football.....

Almost need a TE/H-Back guy who is at least 240 pounds but good hands and a runner...he's already in the Offense and just lines up as the deep back in an I type look or even in wildcat. But it has to be as quick as our normal snaps or he'll run into a wall. Run it a couple times successfully on short yardage downs and it sets up the possibility for a great play action pass play to the lead back.

"Inertia"? Dang, I thought we were talking football.....

Naw, it's about Newton physics as applied to orbital planes and velocity. Football would be a Shoemaker-Levy pass to Jersey Moe Jove, a walk on WR nobody pays attention to.
tencatch.gif

Banks is on the field enough. Just give it to small on inside zone and use Hyatt or Squirrel on motion to keep the defense honest

Here's where we get crazy and serious at the same time my friends.

The play should be called "The wall crusher".

Hooker at QB and all the others are beast linemen with Simmons as the ball carrier and another beast lineman right behind him.

All the best are on the same side and since Simmons won't be fast we pull our best guard to add more beef and strength to that side.

Simmons can dunk a basketball so he takes the ball and goes high over the top with the other beast lineman right behind him to help push him right over the top of their teams crushed lime.

TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!!

GIVE HIM 6!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

This is thread is admittedly not likely to matter because our offense goes so fast we don’t sub in players that we couldn’t continue to go fast with. That hurts the chances of any non RB to get any carries.

Whitehead wasn’t massive but he was our biggest RB going into the year. Not even saying he would’ve played unless he improved off last year, but he fit the mold better for short yardage/power back.

We have a clear answer in Jeremy Banks imo. We all know he’s a good RB, with the extra weight he’s put on he’d be great in goal line situations, or 4th and shorts.

Who else would you potentially like to see?
Agreed doesn’t matter. Draw up the gut with Jabari small is just fine

This is why the whole “short yardage bruiser” thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. A 210 pound guy moving at 15 mph is harder to stop than a 300 pounder moving at 5 mph. Simmons or Baron could run over any linebacker in the league…with a full head of steam. If your o-line doesn’t get any push, though, the ball carrier isn’t going to have a chance to build forward momentum. At that point it doesn’t matter if it’s Andre the Giant back there; you can’t truck half the d-line and multiple linebackers at once.

This is why the whole “short yardage bruiser” thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. A 210 pound guy moving at 15 mph is harder to stop than a 300 pounder moving at 5 mph. Simmons or Baron could run over any linebacker in the league…with a full head of steam. If your o-line doesn’t get any push, though, the ball carrier isn’t going to have a chance to build forward momentum. At that point it doesn’t matter if it’s Andre the Giant back there; you can’t truck half the d-line and multiple linebackers at once.

Relax, like other armchair football guru's, I'm a fan being a fan. We have imaginations like anybody else. As for your comments, you don't really know much either because unlike Chicago and their Fridge-back, we haven't tried it. If a CFB coach can be insane enough to come up with something as outrageous as the fumblerooski, a coach can try a bulldozer DL or OL as a goal line RB, Chicago did it. We be fans, by golly, and we ain't letting you or annybodee take that from us, so there.
boxing-match-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:
Our problem was being down to tiny true freshman Jaylen Wright during a couple very critical situations against Pitt and Purdue. Even if we use Wright this year he'll be better at it.

The other issue is we refuse to go under center and QB sneak it

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Just a strong runner, hopefully Justin Thomas. You know a strong back that can get the tough yardage and break a good one. Like a bama or Georgia back. LSU and Auburn have had a few as well. Running backs in space are great but you need a power back as well that can run fast. Them types really wear a D down. Ask any defensive player they will tell you the most humiliating thing is too be ran on and you can’t stop it! GBO!!!!

This is thread is admittedly not likely to matter because our offense goes so fast we don’t sub in players that we couldn’t continue to go fast with. That hurts the chances of any non RB to get any carries.

Whitehead wasn’t massive but he was our biggest RB going into the year. Not even saying he would’ve played unless he improved off last year, but he fit the mold better for short yardage/power back.

We have a clear answer in Jeremy Banks imo. We all know he’s a good RB, with the extra weight he’s put on he’d be great in goal line situations, or 4th and shorts.

Who else would you potentially like to see?
I would like to see us pass more in short yardage situations.

VN Store

Back