Should DK have his number retired by the University?

Should DK have his number retired?

• Yes

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 128 56.9%
  • I like pie

Votes: 12 5.3%

• Total voters

volfanhill

He meets the qualifications

Edited: Thanks Army

Student-athletes will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:

"SEC Player of the Year
National Award (Player of the Year, Sullivan, or similar honor)
First-Team All-American
Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
National championship during tenure."

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

"A committee led by the athletics director was to consider candidates who had completed their UT careers for at least five years and met at least two of the following criteria: (1) first-team All-America as recognized by the UT media guide, (2) SEC player of the year as recognized by the UT media guide, (3) member of an Olympic team, and (4) member of an NBA or an ABA All-Star team."
These are the current criteria.

Student-athletes will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:

"SEC Player of the Year
First-Team All-American
Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career

He's a great player and he accomplished a lot , but I can't see retiring a number for a player who was only here for a year
What if he’d been recruited from HS, took a redshirt his freshman year; sophomore year had an ankle injury in November and then it was Covid year (I’m iffing here, I don’t know when his COVID year was) and didn’t play; third year was this year IRL and left for the draft?

So only one year playing same as now, but didn’t come in as a fifth-year transfer or whatever he was.

Not arguing, just what-iffing. Does it feel any different in the second scenario?

Reactions: GoVols9800
He's a great player and he accomplished a lot , but I can't see retiring a number for a player who was only here for a year
Agree, but if he got us the CHIP, there should and could be conversation about it.

"SEC Player of the Year
First-Team All-American
I can't believe I actually voted no. For whatever reason it was my first instinct. After reading your post, I know I voted in error

Nah. If he took us to a Final Four, yes.
Would you think he is as/more/less deserving as Chris Lofton? We both know he is better than Grant, but do you think DK was more valuable than any player we've had since Houston? BTW, if Barnes would have had those players in the Houston era, he would have made 4 straight NCAA tournaments

"SEC Player of the Year
First-Team All-American

Should we do another poll for DK statue in front of FCC at TBA?

Would you think he is as/more/less deserving as Chris Lofton? We both know he is better than Grant, but do you think DK was more valuable than any player we've had since Houston? BTW, if Barnes would have had those players in the Houston era, he would have made 4 straight NCAA tournaments
Not old enough to remember Houston. 34. I think he is as deserving as Lofton. And the powers that be didn't think Lofton deserved it. Is what it is.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I think he belongs. Led us to outright SEC league championship, 1st team All-American, SEC Player of the Year, etc....Elite 8. Probably will be 2nd in running for National Player of the Year as well.

Should we do another poll for DK statue in front of FCC at TBA?
One year players ,as a general rule, don't get statues or numbers retired. Thread titles to have thread that probably 99.9% all have the same answer to the question...NO. Almost like today every participant in youth get a trophy for showing up. Sorry this thread is like my opinion on here...most ignore me as not relevant. Thanks to Dalton very much! Just not over the top...

VN Store

Back