Should DK have his number retired by the University?

Should DK have his number retired?

• Yes

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 128 56.9%
  • I like pie

Votes: 12 5.3%

• Total voters
It doesn’t send a good message to future transfers if you can’t have your jersey retired because you were here for one year. Especially if you were one of the best to ever put on an orange jersey.
All about personal recognition and not team achievements in the message geared that way most likely...

He meets the qualifications

Edited: Thanks Army

Student-athletes will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:

"SEC Player of the Year
National Award (Player of the Year, Sullivan, or similar honor)
First-Team All-American
Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
National championship during tenure."

If DK has a terrific NBA career, this idea will gain steam.

I’m not a huge fan of retiring a number, but his name should hang in the rafters at FCC. He accomplished some truly special things in his lone season here and was the catalyst for this team making an E8 run.

Agree with this. He is a generational player that did things here we may never see again, and for that his jersey and name should absolutely hang in the TBA rafters, but retiring a number should be reserved for someone who accomplishes similar things but spends his college career at UT.

He meets the qualifications

Edited: Thanks Army

Student-athletes will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:

"SEC Player of the Year
National Award (Player of the Year, Sullivan, or similar honor)
First-Team All-American
Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
National championship during tenure."
You absolutely retire his number. He’s the best player we’ve in basically half a century. Normally I’m cool to just disagree with others, but I’m sorry, the majority of the folks have voted “no” here which totally backs my theory that the majority of this board are idiots.

You absolutely retire his number. He’s the best player we’ve in basically half a century. Normally I’m cool to just disagree with others, but I’m sorry, the majority of the folks have voted “no” here which totally backs my theory that the majority of this board are idiots.

There are many here not necessarily saying "no", but instead calling for his name on a jersey hanging in the rafters. He needs to be honored, and either way they decide to do it, I'm all in.

As always, retire numbers? No. “Retire” JERSEYS? Yes. Hang jerseys in the TBA/FCC. Keep numbers available. How does Kentucky do it? They’d be out of numbers by now.

If any number is never worn again it should only be #53.
My feelings exactly, find a way to honor him. Hang his jersey up there, but eventually we run out of numbers if we keep retiring good players numbers.

I'm saying, YES. Best single season by a Vol in my lifetime, that I can remember (so, although I was born in '71, I don't remember Bernie and Ernie, '78-'79 team is the first one I do). I know that's not qualification, but I'm making it one. Only one year for the Vols, but I don't care, he deserves it, imo. Only regret, I wanted one more win and a Final 4. But, he did everything he could to get us so very close. I watched his season highlights last night, again. A thing of beauty. I think he will be drafted in the top 10, also. Helps that it's kind of a weak draft, but I think he's a first rounder in any draft over the last 10 years, no matter how loaded it was

No, I think you should play more than one year at Tennessee before you are even in consideration to have your jersey retired. He did a lot of great things here but no.

A school with a dismal history in hoops like ours is actually debating whether a player like DK should have his # retired?
It was far from dismal when Barnes arrived, and he's elevated it. I reckon we're debating it because it's not open and shut either way.

VN Store

Back