Simmons ‘banged up’

Big DL with tons of reps...I sure hope "a little banged up" is literally something he can shake off and start in Nashville.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
When you ask people to carry unhealthy weight, don't be surprised when they are occasionally unhealthy.
I sometimes feel that way about OL guys who have to really work hard to shed the weight after their playing days are over. But in Simmons case, the staff has been after him to cut weight not gain weight since he has been here. Hopefully this is just something minor and Simmons finally has a breakout year.

I sometimes feel that way about OL guys who have to really work hard to shed the weight after their playing days are over. But in Simmons case, the staff has been after him to cut weight not gain weight since he has been here. Hopefully this is just something minor and Simmons finally has a breakout year.
True about Simmons. They want him to drop weight. Still yet, they wouldn't want him below 300 lbs, which is still unhealthy for anybody.

He's ok from a body fat percentage standpoint, even thou his BMI would call him obese. With his body fat percentage and athletic build, I think he would still be considered "overweight". I'm not sure. As he gets older, I hope he takes care of himself and gets the weight down if his body fat percentage goes up, which it probably will.

He's ok from a body fat percentage standpoint, even thou his BMI would call him obese. With his body fat percentage and athletic build, I think he would still be considered "overweight". I'm not sure. As he gets older, I hope he takes care of himself and gets the weight down if his body fat percentage goes up, which it probably will.

According to the BMI weight status categories, anyone with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 would be classified as overweight and anyone with a BMI over 30 would be classified as having obesity.

However, athletes may have a high BMI because of increased muscularity rather than increased body fatness. In general, a person who has a high BMI is likely to have body fatness and would be considered to be overweight or obese, but this may not apply to athletes. A trained healthcare provider should perform appropriate health assessments to evaluate an individual’s health status and risks.

All About Adult BMI

BMI is little more than a screening tool. Maybe good for the average person but for athletes not so much.

As a former offensive tackle, I can say everyone loves you to have the weight, and you are on your own to lose it after football ends.
Losing weight is one of the loneliest endeavors.
You don't realize how social eating and drinking are until you have to say no a lot.

I know it was tough. i remember seeing where former NFL offensive lineman Alan Faneca weighed over 300 pounds when he retired but three years later he had dropped more than 100 pounds and ran his first marathon

As a former offensive tackle, I can say everyone loves you to have the weight, and you are on your own to lose it after football ends.
Losing weight is one of the loneliest endeavors.
You don't realize how social eating and drinking are until you have to say no a lot.
Totally agree. My Sophomore year I was 6-3 323 at 17% body fat. I felt like trash all the time. Knees were horrible, and I couldn’t sleep enough. I got pneumonia and lost like 30 lbs and actually felt better as far as quality of life goes in the end. Def wasn’t stronger, but life was better.

Totally agree. My Sophomore year I was 6-3 323 at 17% body fat. I felt like trash all the time. Knees were horrible, and I couldn’t sleep enough. I got pneumonia and lost like 30 lbs and actually felt better as far as quality of life goes in the end. Def wasn’t stronger, but life was better.
Got some big boys on volnation

Thanks for sharing your stories to you guys who have been there done that. I wonder if any of you have sleep apnea. It’s said to be quite common for NFL players. It contributed to Reggie White’s death.

I topped out @ 310 after retired from USAF. I lost my way with my health.

Now 6ft2 @205. If I gain a few pounds, I can do a couple of weeks of low calories and snap back.
I do intermittent fasting from dinner to lunch everyday and that has been the most effective diet I have ever found.
The hardest part is taking morning meds with only water. One berp and I could gag when meds come up.

About sleep apnea. I am lucky not to have it.
I had sinus surgery 7 years ago ( almost 100% obstructed on the left side). The first year after was terrible. I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my entire life. And after the first full year, I could finally breathe unobstructed for the first time in my life. If I sleep on my side, no problem, and not a bunch of fluffy pillows. I try to keep my spine straight, especially near hips and neck.
If I get stopped up, I sleep sitting up on the couch.

VN Store

Back