SI's Andy Staples: Tennessee Fans Should Be Cautiously Optimistic in 2015

Like, DUHHHHH!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Ill take 8 with a chance at 9 in a bowl game. 9 wins used to be bad seasons when we were good. That means we are getting to be up where we used to be. Go Vols.

I remember when we measured success not by # of wins, but by national ranking and championships. Top 25 was expected, Top 10 and SEC CG appearance were marks of a very good year, and an SEC Championship was the pinnacle (in 1998, of course, with a NC thrown in for good measure!).

Hopefully, we'll very soon be back in that world. :eek:k:

Well. Kudos to you for paying more attention to one team while a writer's following several dozen. Overall this was an astute article. The D line, LBs, WRs, TEs, corners and safeties can take some attrition...but not much. QB, nickel and RBs are periously thin...don't kid yourself...and the OL, although much better off, should realistically display at least a few growing pains, with an injury or two really wreaking havoc. I'm flat out giddy optimistic about team 119. But I'm still crossing my fingers.
we are actually thin at DT also currently. Our whole DLine has depth problems unless a lot of freshmen pan out and guys come bakc well from injury. the sheer number of guys we have coming back from injury on DL is scary.

That being said if everything works out our DLine will be insane. There is no position we are really deep at until the fall and it all depends on guys coming back from surgery and/or freshmen.

QB dobbs goes down we are in a world of hurt.
RB hurd/Kamara--crickets
TE Wolf..then what?
WR lots of talent but we had lots of talent last year too and it stays in the training room.
OL- plenty of depth on interior line nothing but ? at tackle

DE- decent depth
DT- basically depending on freshmen to provide depth
LB we have dpeth but no who is MLB?
Safety plenty of depth
CB decent depth

Whole I think 1
P is possible I'm going with 9 wins.

Uh...say again?

I think I decoded the message. Since the 0 key is right next to the p, I'm guessing it was supposed to be 10.

"While I think 10 is possible, I'm going with 9 wins."

Probably mobile.

I'm sticking with 8 for my regular season expectations. I will adjust my expectations as we learn more about the Vols and the competition.

I think I decoded the message. Since the 0 key is right next to the p, I'm guessing it was supposed to be 10.

"While I think 10 is possible, I'm going with 9 wins."

Probably mobile.

I'm sticking with 8 for my regular season expectations. I will adjust my expectations as we learn more about the Vols and the competition.

Nice work there. I think you actually figured it out.

I thought he was typing in Navajo.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.—If Butch Jones had a more perverse sense of humor, he would have called Jerry Jones (no relation) and asked the Dallas Cowboys’ owner to send his receivers coach to Tennessee’s pro day last week. That way, former Volunteers coach Derek Dooley would have been there to explain the dearth of NFL-level talent coming out of the program this year to his NFL colleagues. After all, the blame for that deficiency falls squarely on Dooley's shoulders. As it was, the staffers charged with cleaning up the mess Dooley made were left to apologize for how little they had to offer.

SI - Tennessee and the case for cautious optimism in 2015; Punt, Pass & Pork

Reactions: 2 people
That was one of the more well written articles I have read about our upcoming football season. He seems to actually know what he's talking about when it comes to our team, unlike most writers. Kudos to him for doing his homework and writing a fair assessment of our beloved team.

I would almost agree with you ... except ... he puts a lot of stock into, the fact that we don't have a lot of guys who have LEFT last year's team heading toward the NFL ... therefore we must not have a lot of decent guys for this next (college) season???

It's quite the opposite, with us returning more starters in our 22 than any other SEC team. A school's rookies in the NFL count nothing toward SEC w's/l's this fall. :crazy:

There's nothing with the fans. Its the media. Someone called them a playoff darkhorse for crying ib the bucket.

There's nothing wrong with the fans. Its the media. Someone called them a playoff darkhorse for crying ib the bucket.

Like, DUHHHHH!!!

Give the guy a break. It's the offseason and any positive articles I can read about the UT FB program from the national media makes me happy. And it was a fair article. Our fanbase...:ermm:

Butch Jones and cautious optimism at Tennessee; Punt, Pass & Pork - College Football - SI.com

Very fair article about Jones and the state of the program heading into 2015.

Says we're basically on the precipice of big-time success, but a couple of key injuries could derail the season due to a lack of depth.

If we can avoid the injury bug this upcoming season, I think 9-10 wins is within reach. But if any position units get hit particularly hard, 7-8 wins is much more likely.

That is true on all schools

Not exactly. First, not all schools have a realistic shot at 9-10 wins. Ask Army. Second, not all schools are as thin in depth at key positions. Makes us a little more brittle than average, to still be lacking a bit in that regard.

But I think we'll be ok, as long as Josh stays healthy. Everywhere else, we've got a little depth that isn't true freshmen.

Butch Jones and cautious optimism at Tennessee; Punt, Pass & Pork - College Football - SI.com

Very fair article about Jones and the state of the program heading into 2015.

Says we're basically on the precipice of big-time success, but a couple of key injuries could derail the season due to a lack of depth.

If we can avoid the injury bug this upcoming season, I think 9-10 wins is within reach. But if any position units get hit particularly hard, 7-8 wins is much more likely.

I feel like this is true for a lot of teams. No crystal ball magic happening here.

Move along.

Great article. I love what he said about Dooley. A lot of people on this site need to adjust their expectations, we are on the way, with a really good coach, but the depth is not quite there yet. 8-5 after the bowl game, but I' won't be surprised if they finish better.

not saying hes wrong but i know more ab my team than these national writers that dont cover us at all. He is accurate but i dont need andy staples to tell me about what we have.

It may be good for the rest of the nation who probably still sees us as an SEC cellar dweller. Maybe it's not for you.

But, point well taken, the average VN follower probably knows a lot more details about the Vols, than somebody in Chicago who has never been to Knoxville. These employees usually regurgitate the buzz and sentiment of the national media. They usually all walk pretty lock step with the consensus.

We do have a lot to be excited and optomistic about.

This writer is also pretty spot on too.

Dobbs gets hurt and then what...nothing but true freshmen with little knowledge and zero experience in college, not a good situation.

Hurd and AK both can be lethal at RB, lose both of them and then what...who do we have that's a good RB then?

Finally we have some good talent, sophs, and some have a little big boy football experience.

We have a few good juniors and seniors too that can play.

We are still lacking in talented depth though so things could change our situation fast with injuries, God forbid.

There again we just could get lucky, no injuries, the ball bounces our way every game and we might get so lucky that we get 10 Wins.

I prefer to keep a positive outlook and to keep my belief that things are going to go our way....finally.

This is a season we hold our breath on every play and hope nobody gets hurt.

Right now we're undefeated and I want to see that keep on going for a long time.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Jones trusts Dobbs so much that he let the junior sit in on offensive coordinator interviews, and Dobbs took the task so seriously that—after participating in candidate Mike DeBord’s interview—he and receiver Josh Malone showed up later that night to watch film with DeBord. Before Debord left, he pulled Dobbs aside and offered two tips. “Your stance is too wide, so you’re false stepping sometimes,” said DeBord, who was unsure if he’d ever see the quarterback again. “And your lead foot is pivoting sometimes and it’s throwing your hips when you’re throwing the ball.” Jones hired DeBord, who returned to Knoxville less than two weeks later and got a status update from Dobbs. “He’d already fixed it,” DeBord said.

How can you not love this kid

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back