Skeptical CBS: TN must back up Hype

Can't say the article isn't true but to me it's kind of a "no **** Sherlock" article. We know it's put up or shut up time and we shall see how far we have come. September 24th is huge for us.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't say the article isn't true but to me it's kind of a "no **** Sherlock" article. We know it's put up or shut up time and we shall see how far we have come. September 24th is huge for us.

Yep, there have been at least a dozen articles in the past month all saying the same thing.

"blah blah UT has been saying 'we're back' for years blah blah federal lawsuit blah blah can't beat florida blah blah time to put up or shut up blah blah."

Pretty much both are right, though.

If we're going by just regular season, his teams would have just beaten 2 SEC teams with overall winning records: South Carolina in 2013 (10-2) and Georgia in 2015 (9-3) (South Carolina finished the 2014 regular season with a record of 6-6).

If records following bowl games are included in this standard, it jumps up to 3 SEC teams with overall winning records: 2013 South Carolina (11-2), 2014 South Carolina (7-6), and 2015 Georgia (10-3).

Be careful pointing out these facts. No one cares about his record against good programs, or no one thinks a coach is responsible for the product on the field in year 3 bc his players aren't seniors yet. Maybe we're the only program that has had to rebuild after a few bad years so that's why no one cares

Man, another "Vols need to prove it this year" article. How original.... They only thing that would have made that pile of journalistic dung any better was to have Vern do an audio version so we could hog laugh at all of the mistakes ..........

I'm sick of people talking about the Vols like this. They talk as though TN has been a talented team that has just underachieved for all these years. No, that would be GA and slightly less so, LSU. The Vols have not had a roster that could truly compete in the SEC since 2007. How were they to win with those rosters? Saban would not have won with those rosters. Then they talk about Butch's record. Okay, who would've won anything with Worley at QB and the worst offensive line in the history of TN football? In his first year, his QB was Worley and his defense was made up of walk ons who were outran by the kicker at their pro day. But somehow he was supposed to win that season? Get real. The fact that he beat SC is a miracle. He went to a bowl game and blasted a big 10 team with a roster made up primarily of freshmen and that terrible o-line. Last year was the first year that the Vols had a roster that could compete, and they did. Two playoff teams needed 4th quarter comebacks to beat us this year. Butch won 9 games and beat 2 ranked teams in his 3rd year at TN, with a first year starter at QB, The majority of the talent being Sophomores and Freshman, and zero draftable seniors. Has there ever been a team in the FBS that has won 9 games with zero draftable seniors? I highly doubt it, especially in the SEC. Butch did. I don't buy all this talk that he hasn't won anything. He also hasnt had the talent to win anything until last year, and 9 games is exactly what the media said that we should win and we finished 2nd in the east. 2016 is the first year that the Vols have been poised to actually compete for a championship. If they fall on their face, okay then, Butch may not be able to get it done. But I'm willing to bet they win a lot of games this year and compete for a championship. But don't talk like Butch has had all this talent and hasn't been able to win anything because that's just garbage.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope JRM has run off any players that don't feel like the rest of them. It's our year and it's time to "Own It".

Go Vols!

Let's see, the media is to blame for the hype but if the media doesn't mention UT then they hate UT.

The SEC East is such a coin flip that Tennessee is somehow considered by many people to be the clear favorite even though Jones has a 10-14 SEC record. The 10 SEC teams Jones beat had a combined conference mark of 22-58. Only two of the wins -- Georgia in 2015 and South Carolina in 2013 -- came against teams that finished with a winning SEC record.

These are just the facts that we have to live with for NOW...And why I just don't buy into the hype. 9-4 last year was a good ending, but also disappointing because of the losses to both OK and Fla....and those losses were flat out because of a failure in coaching!

I believe--but agree with the sentiment of the writer of the article.....Until our coaches actually PROVE on the field that they can win against elite programs in the SEC--we deserve this straightforward and correct analysis.

WE must win the SEC East this year! GO VOLS!

We're one of the 7 SEC teams CBS likes to air more often (with regard to ratings), so probably not.
They just enjoy showing the Vols lose to the entire country...

Insert Vols in for Razorbacks...........

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gVQ1tNN3gA[/youtube]

I'm sick of people talking about the Vols like this. They talk as though TN has been a talented team that has just underachieved for all these years. No, that would be GA and slightly less so, LSU. The Vols have not had a roster that could truly compete in the SEC since 2007. How were they to win with those rosters? Saban would not have won with those rosters. Then they talk about Butch's record. Okay, who would've won anything with Worley at QB and the worst offensive line in the history of TN football? In his first year, his QB was Worley and his defense was made up of walk ons who were outran by the kicker at their pro day. But somehow he was supposed to win that season? Get real. The fact that he beat SC is a miracle. He went to a bowl game and blasted a big 10 team with a roster made up primarily of freshmen and that terrible o-line. Last year was the first year that the Vols had a roster that could compete, and they did. Two playoff teams needed 4th quarter comebacks to beat us this year. Butch won 9 games and beat 2 ranked teams in his 3rd year at TN, with a first year starter at QB, The majority of the talent being Sophomores and Freshman, and zero draftable seniors. Has there ever been a team in the FBS that has won 9 games with zero draftable seniors? I highly doubt it, especially in the SEC. Butch did. I don't buy all this talk that he hasn't won anything. He also hasnt had the talent to win anything until last year, and 9 games is exactly what the media said that we should win and we finished 2nd in the east. 2016 is the first year that the Vols have been poised to actually compete for a championship. If they fall on their face, okay then, Butch may not be able to get it done. But I'm willing to bet they win a lot of games this year and compete for a championship. But don't talk like Butch has had all this talent and hasn't been able to win anything because that's just garbage.
Well said my friend... :clap: Welcome aboard the crazy train!

Reactions: 2 people
CBS ... CBS ... oh,yeah, the network that thinks Verne Lundquist is one of the best college football broadcasters in America. :ermm:

As they should, in 2012 it was UT is back baby!
2015 UT is back baby!
2016 ???????????????

Not sure who had the 2015 Vols as "back baby", but it certainly wasn't most national or local pundits. Most had UT anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the east.

This narrative that UT underperforms on an annual basis is frankly stupid. 2012 we underperformed but nobody could have predicted a defense that rancid.

Under Jones we have pretty much been on schedule with the teams we've had. Last year's team finished right where the talent and experience says it should have. The heartbreaking nature of our losses must give some the impression that we underperformed. Actually, being in the drivers seat in some of those losses was playing above our heads so I would argue we over performed.

This team should be a 10-12 win team, again, based on relative talent and experience.

It's the media that should shut up. They're creating all the hype, then turning around and questioning whether UT deserves it. Meanwhile, UT players and coaches are going about their day, working out, studying and getting ready for the season. I like the quiet confidence and maturity Team 120 is showing.

Very good post. Plus 1

Be careful pointing out these facts. No one cares about his record against good programs, or no one thinks a coach is responsible for the product on the field in year 3 bc his players aren't seniors yet. Maybe we're the only program that has had to rebuild after a few bad years so that's why no one cares

Brilliance. UT hasn't improved at all under Jones. FAHR Butch. SMH

It's the media that should shut up. They're creating all the hype, then turning around and questioning whether UT deserves it. Meanwhile, UT players and coaches are going about their day, working out, studying and getting ready for the season. I like the quiet confidence and maturity Team 120 is showing.
Pretty spot on.

Amen brother. The ones who spew the Tennessee is always overrated are usually dawg fans.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
Not sure who had the 2015 Vols as "back baby", but it certainly wasn't most national or local pundits. Most had UT anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the east.

This narrative that UT underperforms on an annual basis is frankly stupid. 2012 we underperformed but nobody could have predicted a defense that rancid.

Under Jones we have pretty much been on schedule with the teams we've had. Last year's team finished right where the talent and experience says it should have. The heartbreaking nature of our losses must give some the impression that we underperformed. Actually, being in the drivers seat in some of those losses was playing above our heads so I would argue we over performed.

This team should be a 10-12 win team, again, based on relative talent and experience.

ESPN/ ESPN's SEC blog and some others started to call the Vols a dark horse candidate in the SEC East during the preseason last year and a fair chunk of people here excited off the hype and started to run with the idea that we could/should win the East by the season's start.

ESPN/ ESPN's SEC blog and some others started to call the Vols a dark horse candidate in the SEC East during the preseason last year and a fair chunk of people here excited off the hype and started to run with the idea that we could/should win the East by the season's start.

Of course we COULD have won the east last year (we were a 4th and 14 stop from doing so), but this year we SHOULD.

That's the difference, last year we were a "dark horse", this year we are the clear choice to win the division. Not sure how most don't get that or refuse to acknowledge it.

Whoever thinks last year was a letdown needs to get a clue.

I'm a realist. I have two questions:

Can CBJ show that he has learned to win/close out games?

Will Dobbs progress to the point where our down-field passing game is enough of a threat to soften the run D?

If the answers to both of the above are "yes," then we could be really, really good.

That being said, we don't have a ton of evidence to support the hype. We should know after the first four weeks.

The talent is there, and this year is go-time.

VN Store

Back