Smokey Gray helmets for sale to donors

Wonder what this means for our alternative jersey.... @DeerPark12 ? Can you shed some light?

They were retired before last year, there was an announcement that they would not be worn anymore. They kept one set in supply for recruiting photos, but that is all. Most of the helmets that remained were sold at the surplus sale last year.

Tennessee does not currently have an alternate of any type in house in football, nor are there plans to add one.

Pretty sure we have to have an alternative uniform per our Nike contract. Wonder what this means for it considering we are obviously getting rid of the Smokey Greys.

No, we are required to take part in and elite school promotion in football or men’s/women’s basketball if Nike does one involving several of its schools, but Nike has not done that in several years and it doesn’t appear to be in their strategy for this calendar year.

Unlike in the NFL, jersey sales in college are relatively minuscule. Nike does not stand to make a substantially larger profit selling three different styles rather than two per school.

To put it in perspective, all of the jerseys Nike sold for all of its schools combined last year totaled less than they sold just for the Dallas Cowboys.

I think we have an alternate next year, I myself like most on here are a fan of the traditional look but with that said and my wife being from Nebraska(haha 16!!.. 97.. just sad) they just revealed a 3rd jersey to honor the “black shirts” and they are pretty awesome and not to mention the kids LOVE these crazy uniforms. With that said I would hope a 3rd jersey would be paying homage to a past more traditional Tennessee jersey but wouldn’t mind seeing a new helmet with it

VN Store

Back