So it begins!

Wont happen for two reasons: One, ACC teams owe too much for a buyout. Two, SEC already has a Florida and Carolina TV market so, those teams have no added value to the SEC.
That's just dead wrong.

Your first point is wrong because, as Texas and Oklahoma will potentially show very soon, even very big opt-out costs can be covered if the new deal is lucrative enough.

The second point is wrong because having a team in a market doesn't "give you that market." It's no longer the 1950s. We're not at the granularity of the market any more. We're at the granularity of the individual. Because modern cable boxes and streaming services can count, to the person, how many sets of eyeballs are watching a game. Just because you have the Gamecock fans in the state of South Carolina, that doesn't mean you won't benefit from attracting the Clemson fans at other times with other games.

I'm not weighing in on whether this rumor has any basis in fact or not. I'm not weighing in on whether it's a good idea for the SEC to invite FSU or Clemson. I'm not weighing in on any of that, I'm just here to tell you how wrong you are, gator fan troll. As you pretty much always are. Have a super day! :)

I don't think that area is as coveted a CFB TV market as you believe....
nielsencfb.png

Fields and Fairways: College Football Fans are Saturday’s Stars

100% of 200,000 = 200,000.
10% of 8,500,000 = 850,000. <-- this one wins, by a LOT, even though it was a much lower %.

Just a brief way of saying, that chart you linked--which only addresses the percentages--means very little in isolation. Those places have populations more saturated with fans than most. But that doesn't mean they have more fans (which == eyeballs watching games) than other places.

To put it a different way, one closer to home: there are far more Volunteers fans outside of Knoxville and Chattanooga than inside those markets, even though those two towns appear to have the highest saturation of fans.

Last edited:
Dear god why?...They add nothing to the SEC...Nothing
And by joining the sec they elevate their status making it more difficult for us to recruit against them. Clemson already is a top school and by them joining the sec doesn’t add much and fsu may be more competitive getting florida kids which will hurt florida. Virginia tech in the sec makes it harder for us to get top recruits in North Carolina, Virginia, and maryland/dc metro area. If those kids want to go to the sec then tennessee is often the closest school outside of South Carolina to them but with tech in the sec then not anymore.

This will just give us more victims to steamroll on the grid iron. Bring them on!

100% of 200,000 = 200,000.
10% of 8,500,000 = 850,000. <-- this one wins, by a LOT, even though it was a much lower %.

Just a brief way of saying, that chart you linked--which only addresses the percentages--means very little in isolation. Those places have populations more saturated with fans than most. But that doesn't mean they have more fans (which == eyeballs watching games) than other places.

You do know that Nielsen ratings do not use total population as a factor right? It's a percentage of participating households watching television at the time, extrapolated as an estimate of total households watching television during that time period, not percentage of the total population. If Nielsen participants were watching CFB to a greater extent during that time period, then those areas would show up as having greater market share. As it is though, they do not.

You do know that Nielsen ratings do not use total population as a factor right? It's a percentage of participating households watching television at the time, extrapolated as an estimate of total households watching television during that time period, not percentage of the total population. If Nielsen participants were watching CFB to a greater extent during that time period, then those areas would show up as having greater market share. As it is though, they do not.
How Relevant are Nielsen Ratings?

Here, I'll save you the trouble of even having to click. The article's sub-title is,:

Nielsen Television Ratings is becoming increasingly irrelevant

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
That's just dead wrong.

Your first point is wrong because, as Texas and Oklahoma will potentially show very soon, even very big opt-out costs can be covered if the new deal is lucrative enough.

The second point is wrong because having a team in a market doesn't "give you that market." It's no longer the 1950s. We're not at the granularity of the market any more. We're at the granularity of the individual. Because modern cable boxes and streaming services can count, to the person, how many sets of eyeballs are watching a game. Just because you have the Gamecock fans in the state of South Carolina, that doesn't mean you won't benefit from attracting the Clemson fans at other times with other games.

I'm not weighing in on whether this rumor has any basis in fact or not. I'm not weighing in on whether it's a good idea for the SEC to invite FSU or Clemson. I'm not weighing in on any of that, I'm just here to tell you how wrong you are, gator fan troll. As you pretty much always are. Have a super day! :)

Hi hater and Volnation's number one Fulmerite!

Wrong, again! The buyout for Florida State and Clemson has nothing to do with the Texas and Oklahoma buyout and not only that, but it exceeds, greatly, the previously mentioned teams buyouts!

The SEC doesn't want Clemson, Florida State or Miami. Just incase you didn't know (I'm sure you do not), Miami had bee approached twice in the past to join the SEC and they passed on it. For the investment and distribution of SEC TV contract revenues, neither Clemson or Florida State offer value for joining the SEC. Granted, the next thing you are going to say is the Bama/Auburn thing. If one or the other was not in the SEC already, the other would not be invited. (This would be one of your arrogant points that you would make)

To further insult you and that ignorance you spew, "other times with other games", Clemson will not remain dominant and thus those fans will dwindle. That means as that focus declines, so does the viewership. Just so you know, that means the TV contract would be paying more than the return value.

I know you are a die hard Tennessee fan and faithful Fulmerite but one can really tell you have no education, especially from the University of Tennessee.

Hi hater and Volnation's number one Fulmerite!

Wrong, again! The buyout for Florida State and Clemson has nothing to do with the Texas and Oklahoma buyout and not only that, but it exceeds, greatly, the previously mentioned teams buyouts!

The SEC doesn't want Clemson, Florida State or Miami. Just incase you didn't know (I'm sure you do not), Miami had bee approached twice in the past to join the SEC and they passed on it. For the investment and distribution of SEC TV contract revenues, neither Clemson or Florida State offer value for joining the SEC. Granted, the next thing you are going to say is the Bama/Auburn thing. If one or the other was not in the SEC already, the other would not be invited. (This would be one of your arrogant points that you would make)

To further insult you and that ignorance you spew, "other times with other games", Clemson will not remain dominant and thus those fans will dwindle. That means as that focus declines, so does the viewership. Just so you know, that means the TV contract would be paying more than the return value.

I know you are a die hard Tennessee fan and faithful Fulmerite but one can really tell you have no education, especially from the University of Tennessee.
Yes, I are a poor dum slob.

And you are a poor dumb troll of the gator persuasion. :)

VT does in the DC market, and they own the most fans in VA. In that respect they are more attractive than Clemson. It would be kind of like the B1G adding Maryland
VT doesn't have any DC draw or VA-state draw. They are very much regional to Appalachia which has a far different culture than Coastal Virginia. Add to that, VT has never won a national championship in any sport and have sucked in football for most of the last 10 years. Pass.

Reactions: BeardedVol
How Relevant are Nielsen Ratings?

Here, I'll save you the trouble of even having to click. The article's sub-title is,:

Nielsen Television Ratings is becoming increasingly irrelevant

So because you didn't understand how Nielsen's rating system worked, you want to pretend that because you found an article saying it's irrelevant, that it's still not being used to sell advertisers on program ad space? Interesting.

Nielsen Launches Expanded Streaming Video Ratings Offering – Deadline
Nielsen takes another crack at gauging our streaming habits
Nielsen And The Future Of Measuring Television And Video Viewers

Nielsen will stop being relevant as soon as content producers and broadcast services stop using it to price/sell ad space, until then you'll just have to settle with being wrong.

The buyout is steep but that may be the cost of not getting left out.

Of course the markets, however I think with college football the total is greater than the sum of the parts. It’s not as much like professional leagues in this regard. In that respect Florida State and Clemson have value.
You can forget about the “local markets” being a factor. The “SEC” is building a national market. Bama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, Clemson...that’s a national juggernaut and they are looking past just the Tallahassee market and looking big picture, imo.
GBO!!

Reactions: NEO
Wait to the SEC is 32 teams and players are drafted out of high school and sign 4 year contracts.

It’s coming.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
if the ACC & SEC combined, it would effectively end the NCAA. the new SEC Championship would be more prestigious and the new SEC would be strong enough to govern themselves, essentially creating a split amongst the rest of the NCAA. the TV deals would be so lucrative that no other conference or governing body would have the financial ammunition to compete. Sankey, get it done!

Big Team + Big team = Game of the week. It gets national coverage throughout the week, college game day, and all the eyeballs for that time slot. With streaming, the world is all the same TV market.
Thats not the point about tv markets, and it’s backed up by league actions. We didn’t add Missouri because they were a big team. Just like the B1G didn’t add Maryland or Rutgers for that reason, obviously.

VT doesn't have any DC draw or VA-state draw. They are very much regional to Appalachia which has a far different culture than Coastal Virginia. Add to that, VT has never won a national championship in any sport and have sucked in football for most of the last 10 years. Pass.
Well, you’re wrong

Thats not the point about tv markets, and it’s backed up by league actions. We didn’t add Missouri because they were a big team. Just like the B1G didn’t add Maryland or Rutgers for that reason, obviously.
I understand the point of TV markets. The last round of conference expansion was about TV markets. When people talk about the B1G expanding they predict this will still be there strategy. I am saying I think a better strategy is doubling down on South Carolina and Florida because of the caliber of the programs. I think that outweighs getting "access" to a different metropolitan area. It's about having the best content overall, not regional specific content.

Clemson has it too easy to get into the playoffs where they are at currently. They wouldn't have that cakewalk path in the SEC.

Now, looking ahead the whole structure of the post season is bound to change but who knows what form that will take.

Clemson has it too easy to get into the playoffs where they are at currently. They wouldn't have that cakewalk path in the SEC.

Now, looking ahead the whole structure of the post season is bound to change but who knows what form that will take.

Clemson's administration might care more about getting increasing SEC Network revenue share than they do about keeping Dabo's cakewalk.

Running a top football program is not going to get cheaper as time progresses.

Clemson's administration might care more about getting increasing SEC Network revenue share than they do about keeping Dabo's cakewalk.

Running a top football program is not going to get cheaper as time progresses.
True. And that's probably what this will all be about. I do not see what the SEC gains by adding Clemson in terms of market share, though. Oklahoma and Texas made sense in that respect. Clemson really does not.

aTm argued they are a Texas TV market but here comes Texas. As a matter of fact, aTm says they had a "gentleman's agreement" with the SEC that they'd be the only Texas school in the SEC but here comes Texas.

Not that I think Clemson and FSU are coming to the SEC. They're not. This is a "friendly reminder" to Notre Dame that the time has come for them to stop jerking the ACC around and fully commit. Notre Dame has been selfish and has the best of both worlds with a personal NBC TV deal and limited commitment to the ACC for several sports. The ACC needs them in to negotiate a good TV deal or the ACC will get absorbed in the future.

Notre Dame has always been a selfish school and done nothing but look after themselves. That crap can no longer fly in the post-NCAA era.
A&M gave the SEC the Houston market, which is the largest city in Texas

Wont happen for two reasons: One, ACC teams owe too much for a buyout. Two, SEC already has a Florida and Carolina TV market so, those teams have no added value to the SEC.

More likely that Notre Dame joins the ACC. If they want to balance divisions they can pick up Oklahoma State it West Virginia pretty easily.

They want to poach Penn State from the BIG, but that is less likely.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back