Staff being creative...

Darwin Walker would of had it done under 1 min and went back to lifting. Good way to team bond and get away from football for a moment. These exercises are what majority of the kids will need when they get into the workforce.

We've all had jobs that sucked after the fun was taken away. Its refreshing seeing the team having fun while learning basic life skills. Regardless of what your doing if your not having fun along the way its hard to put in the effort. GBO..
College athletics are a grind to say the least. Most days start at 5am or 6pm and end at 10pm or so. Things like this go a long way to keeping spirits high and energy levels up.

Reactions: FïreBall
This is really cute but I could care less, show me in game results

To some degree, it's hard not to be in a "show me" attitude, but hey it's a long way from game time. So as fans, I think it is nice to at least have something to hang our hats on. Why else would we be coming to Volnation, if not to get positive glimpses of our team?

This is great, IMO. These are team building exercises used by corporations and militaries all around the world and are proven to be successful. A good way to build trust, chemistry, teamwork, and for leaders to emerge.

I had some old, fat redneck pulling on my facemask and dog cussing me, and I was a good player. Sucked.

These are team building and problem solving drills, military schools do them all the time. You would be amazed at how much rapport can be built by a group in very little time. They're an awesome way to build chemistry.
I’ve always liked the solving drills that the military does, for team chemistry. I’m hoping that they come together by doing more of this. I believe they will. Pull it together.

Ah yes, group teamwork activities. The bane of any low level employee's existence. Woe unto those who would submit feedback that their group lacks communication or teamwork skills, for they shall suffer an unending stream of these "activities" and "programs" until that feedback improves.

Reactions: nuclearjunky
This is really cute but I could care less, show me in game results
You do understand that things as simple and "cute" or goofy as this are a fun way for guys to build trust, right?

The military does things similar to this on an escalating scale to build trust and cohesiveness. I can't count the number of times I said "this is stupid" while in the Army. As an officer... we were taught more of the "theory" behind why you make a whole platoon tear down their barracks because you "found" some soap residue in the shower.

Staying 30 minutes to help the company or boss you believe in is not the same thing as being forced to stay an hour over at a job you can't wait to click out from.

Being all in is a mental thing.

People who are truly all in are really tough to break. We haven't had a team in years that has been all in with no quit.

I think these team building exercises are partially a result of the talks DW/JH had with trusted members of the team. DW/JH said they were builders and that looks exactly like what they are doing.

Staying 30 minutes to help the company or boss you believe in is not the same thing as being forced to stay an hour over at a job you can't wait to click out from.

Being all in is a mental thing.

People who are truly all in are really tough to break. We haven't had a team in years that has been all in with no quit.
Agree. One thing I've learned is that almost any job can be a good one or a bad one. Much of it has to do with your boss but much to do with how we choose to approach work. Very little of it has to do with what you're actually doing. A cushy office job can be torture. Picking up garbage can be a great job.

Change though... ALWAYS starts with the leader. It only works if people choose to follow.

The thing we can expect next... is guys choosing not to follow. There will very likely be more guys who leave because they won't take a chance on approaching their "work" with a positive, hopeful attitude. They won't allow themselves to trust the coaches or team mates.

The military uses exercises like this for many purposes, to include building teamwork/cohesion as well as allowing the observation of behaviors and group interaction. Leaders emerge in situations like this. Creative thinking and collaboration grows. Communication and comfort with teammates is developed. Good stuff.

Reactions: GoVols64 and sjt18
Great team chemistry....it will make a player charge the fires of hell with a thimble filled with water, all for his teammates.

This is great. Modeled after the military's Field Leadership Reaction Course or FLRC (may be called something else now). It is a great way to build communication, trust and leadership. Also a ton of fun!

Reactions: FïreBall
Proof is here in the pudding! Or bucket fill! These exercises not only build communication etc. Its also in in investing in the student/athletes themselves. These are exercises for the football field or a fortune 500 boardroom! Kudos for Coaches teaching all aspects 👍 GBO!!🍊🍊

Reactions: LexVol71
You do understand that things as simple and "cute" or goofy as this are a fun way for guys to build trust, right?

The military does things similar to this on an escalating scale to build trust and cohesiveness. I can't count the number of times I said "this is stupid" while in the Army. As an officer... we were taught more of the "theory" behind why you make a whole platoon tear down their barracks because you "found" some soap residue in the shower.
Butch Jones did similar things

Butch Jones did similar things
I don't recall that... but no single thing guarantees success. Jones was fatally flawed. Heupel may fail too... but this is good medicine for a team that didn't have a lot of cohesion for much of the last two years.

Use of a tool by a failure doesn't make the tool useless. If someone can't drive a nail in straight... it usually isn't the hammer.

VN Store

Back