Stanford's Tara VanDerveer Retires after 38 seasons and 1,216 wins

I don't blame Tara for not wanting to travel all across the US for games. She is in her 70's. Assuming of course that's part of reason for retiring. I bet Geno retires soon as well. But he will easily break the record next season. Men's and women's are losing all the greats here recently.

I don't blame Tara for not wanting to travel all across the US for games. She is in her 70's. Assuming of course that's part of reason for retiring. I bet Geno retires soon as well. But he will easily break the record next season. Men's and women's are losing all the greats here recently.
I think it has a lot to do with the NIL. Change is one thing, but this is not just a change, it will/has transformed the way they have built programs. Now it's about money and playing time or "I'll just move to another program.

I knew this was happening from one of her assistants, either this year or next, but it wasn't my story to tell. Direct causes include the NIL landscape and being handcuffed by Stanford's transfer rules. Hard to compete when you can't recruit JRs and SRs from the portal. Also, the entitlement of these athletes who are now getting paid is almost unbearable.
Plus Tara is 70 and would like to enjoy some of her senior years while her health is still good. It's not like she needs the money.

Auriemma has already voiced his opinion about the direction that WCBB is headed. Not only about NIL and the portal, but also the attitude of players coming in. I think he feels that a healthy team next year has a very good shot at his 12th NC. That and passing Vanderveer leaves nothing on the table.

"Around the NCAA" anyone?

Vanderveer 1216 - 271 (81.8%)
Pat finished 1098 - 208 (84%)
I believe she would have surpassed her win total had she lived long enough.
Pat was way ahead of everyone in the wins total when she had to step down. Coach K passed her total on the men's side. Pat would have put the total wins mark out of sight. Not even speculation there....

Last edited:

VN Store

Back