Stat comparisons 2017, 2018, 2019

A better D and a little easier schedule in '19 stand out. With that, the stats should look better.

This tells a pretty good story. We improved in consecutive years in a lot of these areas. The 3 places I think we need to show improvement next year is Redzone offense, Turnover Margin, and Penalties. We clean up these areas and we will be in every game we play.

Having Chaney for a second straight year oughta help. Its all up to the QB's at the end of the day. When Maurer and JG played well last year we looked good. The QB room is getting older and deeper so you have to think it will be improved to some degree. It seems like they will have all the help they need.

Chaney in his second year. We should have the best offensive line in a while. Two senior capable backs. Gray is the most talented. Still wish we had a bigger back, someone 6'0 to 6'2 at 215 or 220. I think Tim Jordan is a little underrated. I wouldn't mind seeing him get more carries than Chandler. Either way, with that line and the fact they are seniors, they should be able to find a way to move the ball down the field. Eric Gray is a playmaker and him taking another jump for us would be huge, so we can get more explosive game changing plays. The receivers are mostly unproven, but should there's a good amount of experience there. We know Palmer and Johnson can be good. Flashes from young guys. USC transfer looks good. Nice looking freshman. The question is, if JG starts can he keep his **** together? I thought he finally did towards the end of the year and he just fell off a cliff against Indiana. He doesn't have to play great, but can he at least play well and then just OK? Not, play well and then be the worst QB imaginable? No matter what I'm going to be afraid of that. Love the kid though. He has been through a lot. Gotta respect his heart and effort. Still, I'd almost be more comfortable if it was just Maurer and Bailey dueling it out.

A lot to be hopeful for on offense!

Pruitts track record with defenses is ridiculous, so we have a great chance of improving there. I love the fact we have 7 seniors on the d-line including Gooden coming back. Having a good defensive line helps out the rest of the defense big time.

Most successful football teams control the line of scrimmage and we have a good chance of doing that next year.

Death to the Coronavirus!

1) 2017 offense was ATROCIOUS.

2) Run defense has become LEGIT.

3) RZ offense unimaginably bad this year. This is Chaney's #1 thing to fix this year. We probably beat BYU, Ga St, and have little problem with Indiana and Miss St if we were better down there.

All five 2019 SEC wins were against teams with losing conference records:

Miss. State 3-5 (6-7)
Kentucky 3-5 (8-5)
Missouri 3-5 (6-6)
Vanderbilt 1-7 (3-9)
South Carolina 3-5 (4-8)

Miss. State 3-5 (6-7)
Kentucky 3-5 (8-5)
Missouri 3-5 (6-6)
Vanderbilt 1-7 (3-9)
South Carolina 3-5 (4-8)
4 of those teams only had losing SEC records because the Vols beat them, had we not won they wouldn't have losing records in the conference.

4 of those teams only had losing SEC records because the Vols beat them, had we not won they wouldn't have losing records in the conference.

And none of the 4 teams you mention would have had a winning conference record if all of them had defeated Tennessee.

Miss. State 3-5 (6-7)
Kentucky 3-5 (8-5)
Missouri 3-5 (6-6)
Vanderbilt 1-7 (3-9)
South Carolina 3-5 (4-8)
This is such a misleading comment. If you put these same teams into another power 5 conference besides the SEC and I’d bet they’d all have a winning record with the exception of Vandy.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So, if JG is staring this year who are you going to blame?
I guess I could start with you and other JG lovers on this forum. Lol JG isn't the only offensive problem. But he is a biggest part of it. Enjoy the rest of your day Roust.

And none of the 4 teams you mention would have had a winning conference record if all of them had defeated Tennessee.
2 of those teams also played Bama. 1 of them played Bama, LSU, TAMU, and Auburn. 4 of them played UF and UGA. You can bring up conference records all you want, but the fact is 4 of the teams play each other annually and its impossible for everyone of them to have a good conference record. For everyone in the East on the list that we beat, they lost 3 of their conference games to teams that have a combined 31-9 record between them.

That really doesn't matter. You're implying that Vols didn't accomplish anything really but if that's the case how come everyone didn't beat those teams?
Yeah and when you look back at things you have to consider what the games meant at the time.

We were not favored to beat Mississippi State going in. There was some hope after the Georgia first half, but not much. People thought State was gonna gash us in the run game and all that.
We exceeded expectations and then some. Really dominated them. We were moving the ball at will out of the gate minus Mauer INT's and his concussion.

Bama game. Way more competitive than anybody thought because Bama was so dominant.

Again against South Carolina, they had just beat Georgia. They were favored. We killed them.

We ended the year as a flat out good team!

We were basically a 10 win team with the first two games not really a reflection of what we were at the end of the year.

We just weren't able to beat top 10 schools yet. We were easily top 25 in the country at the end of the year.

VN Store

Back