Steve Kiner's thoughts on AD, Butch

It's not about commenting it's about attaching more weight to the thoughts of others when they have no experience either. No one would question Kiner on football knowledge but I was just curious why his opinion that his long time friend should be the AD was being taken as gospel

It definitely should not be. I agree.

It's not about "caring". It's just saying that that is how he's approaching this - meaning that there is zero chance he will agree to be the #2 guy. That's not how he operates.

If you have inside knowledge, I apologize but otherwise I doubt you know how Coach Fulmer rolls at this stage of his life. Retirement age and he's offered a role at his university? I think he'd snap it up.

Reactions: 3 people
All this "Fulmer as Assistant to Blackburn" talk.....time for a lesson for some of you. Phil Fulmer worked behind the scenes to secure the HC job from Majors when he was having heart surgery. Despite this myth of fulmer as a good ole boy just doing what he can for ole State U....don't be fooled. He is very much a political animal.

He wants the AD job. Period. He's not created all this chaos and instability simply to be blackburn's #2. Don't be naive, people. He's gunning for the AD job and if he doesn't get it he's out.

OK, professor, "...give some of us a lesson." You state your opinions like they're absolute, behind the scenes facts in stone. How the hell are you so privy to such, pray tell? Seriously, please share with us your unquestionable source(s). We are all ears....

It's not about "caring". It's just saying that that is how he's approaching this - meaning that there is zero chance he will agree to be the #2 guy. That's not how he operates.

How the hell do you have such a close, personal knowledge of how Phil Fulmer operates??? Curious minds would like to know....

Reactions: 2 people
Really - you thought I didn't know that? You guys act like being an AD is rocket science or something? Being a good AD is all about people skills. You have to develop relationships with the boosters to solicit donations and you have to develop relationships with the coaches / potential coaches in order to hire the best folks possible. Anyone who doesn't think CPF is strong on developing relationships is either misinformed or foolish.

Look at the great AD work done by the past couple of non-UT guys. CPF is 100% VOL and will do everything he can for UT athletics. He has class and knows the people / system. Being a $100+ million operation, no doubt CPF will hire quality accounting / CFO types for those business needs. If you're the head of a $100 million company then you're about a high level vision and leadership. CPF has clearly demonstrated both of those throughout his career.

Flame away Jack Wagons.

It took Fulmer 7 years to figure out Randy Sanders wasn't a good offensive coordinator.

He got bailed out for a couple of seasons by Cutcliffe then made the infamous Clawson hire.

Leadership and vision is far from a strong suit for him. If he had either of those, he would probably still be the coach.

Consider yourself flamed.

Reactions: 2 people
This whole thing is a joke at this point, just name Fulmer AD, watch him give Jones an undeserved extension, and call it a day.

after watching Tennessee hire football coaches, basketball coaches, and now AD, you really want to see UT make another hire? Really?

Reactions: 1 person
Other than the feel good thought, how are you convinced of this?

Fulmer has distinguished himself throughout his career in Collegiate athletics. And the parallel between Doug Dickey and Fulmer cannot be overstated. Dickey, a former Vol coach hired Fulmer, who led us to the '98 Title.

Dickey knew UT like few people as a former coach, like Fulmer. And no one is more prepared to make the important hires (and fires) than Fulmer. And no one care's more about the football program.

If Jones isn't the guy I have full confidence in Phil Fulmer to find a coach who can take us to heights only he was able to attain since the days of Neyland.

Fulmer has distinguished himself throughout his career in Collegiate athletics. And the parallel between Doug Dickey and Fulmer cannot be overstated. Dickey, a former Vol coach hired Fulmer, who led us to the '98 Title.

Dickey knew UT like few people as a former coach, like Fulmer. And no one is more prepared to make the important hires (and fires) than Fulmer. And no one care's more about the football program.

If Jones isn't the guy I have full confidence in Phil Fulmer to find a coach who can take us to heights only he was able to attain since the days of Neyland.

Lets hire a guy we fired for underperforming to correct an AD thats underperformed

The UT experience in a nutshell

Reactions: 4 people
I'm just going to keep posting this article until everyone stops throwing the bammer's BS story onto Phil.

Judge's book goes behind the scenes of Cottrell case | AL.com

"While Cottrell attorney Tommy Gallion painted University of Tennessee boosters and former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer as grand conspirators in a plan to take down Alabama, Wilson notes that it was another SEC rival that alerted the NCAA about Means' recruitment."

FWIW, Wilson is a Bama alum.

Thank you * 100. Heard the NCAA investigator telling the story @ the Fulmer hoax on Birmingham radio a few years back. Totally false, yet people in Bammer and even TN still believe it I guess.LOL

This is the same mentality that has led to the demise of UT football. Hire the "UT" guy because he "loves" the university and lower the expectations. Hasn't cut it before...won't cut it now.

Which UT guy? Hamilton, Cheek, Hart, Jones, new AD?

Might call Joe diP a UT guy, sort of; I'd prefer Joe Johnson...only UT guy I can recall.

Course my preference would be to clean out the BOT....:)

UT already has access to the benefits Fulmer offers without giving him full reign.

Watching a Tennessee man have success at another P5 would make Blackburn this generation's Spurrier

You guys suck and Kiner has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

Well, you swallow, and knowing football and knowing how to run an athletic dept is two very different things. Former players wanting another former player in charge is an emotional decision, and not surprising. If Fulmer screws things up, Kiner doesn't take any heat for it.

Not one bit unexpected.

Thank you * 100. Heard the NCAA investigator telling the story @ the Fulmer hoax on Birmingham radio a few years back. Totally false, yet people in Bammer and even TN still believe it I guess.LOL
Ive sent this link in email format to jay barker, paul finebaum, and anyone else that spews hot garbage.

Jay barker at least quit openly bashing fulmer on the radio

This is the same mentality that has led to the demise of UT football. Hire the "UT" guy because he "loves" the university and lower the expectations. Hasn't cut it before...won't cut it now.

So, who are the non-UT leaders to bring UT success?

VN Store

Back