Strange seeing such a big guy at RB...

He caught the ball in high school some too. Catches it effortlessly. Big soft hands.
He played QB. Which means he's used to handling the football and has the feel of it.
Played basketball so he knows how to position his body to shield defenders away. Was a monster rebounder. He can jump out the gym and he's 6'5.
That's why he's so fast too. He has explosive muscle memory. He's a freak.

6'5 230 40 inch Vertical 4.4 40 yard dash.

Trying to figure out with these stats how he ended up as a 3 star.

Reactions: BACKDOC
He caught the ball in high school some too. Catches it effortlessly. Big soft hands.
He played QB. Which means he's used to handling the football and has the feel of it.
Played basketball so he knows how to position his body to shield defenders away. Was a monster rebounder. He can jump out the gym and he's 6'5.
That's why he's so fast too. He has explosive muscle memory. He's a freak.

6'5 230 40 inch Vertical 4.4 40 yard dash.
4.4 speed?

4.4 speed?
Does that suprise you?
Just watch him. Watch him against Vanderbilt last season and see for yourself.
He's covering more ground quicker than Gray or Chandler we he turns upfield

He was a 4 star for 247.

He was a wildcat QB with no other offensive weapons around him. Still his stats were impressive.

But I think they didn't know his position projection, and Bama wasn't after him.
LSU, Florida, and Auburn were.
People forget Mullen was after Beckwith hard!

Does that suprise you?
Just watch him. Watch him against Vanderbilt last season and see for yourself.
He's covering more ground quicker than Gray or Chandler we he turns upfield

Vanderbilt will make a lot of backs look fast. He is more like a 4,6 guy. Hyatt is maybe 4 ,4

The team that everyone on this site uses as the measuring stick SEC foe we need to beat, also the ultimate rival for us older folks is Alabubba. They seem to do quite well using massive running backs that seem to end up and dominate in the NFL. They always seem to have at least one of those back in the rotation and they are used as a battering ram to wear out the defence.

Seems questionable to use a remarkable athlete like Beckwith as a battering ram.

Vanderbilt will make a lot of backs look fast. He is more like a 4,6 guy. Hyatt is maybe 4 ,4
Hyatt was timed at 4.31 electronic. And 10.4 100 and that was as a Junior in high school. So he's 4.3

People thought Jamal Lewis couldn't run 4.4 either even though he was obviously fast. Because he was 230 lbs

Vanderbilt sucks, but that has jack to do with how fast someone covers 10 yards. Henry T runs 4.6...Beckwith looks significantly faster than that.

Just because we sucked last year doesn't mean we don't have really talented players. We just don't have a lot of them. Don't let bias get in the way of that with Dee.

Hurd was big for a RB but I don't think he was as bulky, not sure tho
But listed at 6'5"? That's such a tall running back! For all you old-timers, Grant Hill's dad, Calvin, played for the Cowboys at 6'4", but it's so rare to see a back over 6'2" now. Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Travis Henry were the torch bearers for the 5'9" or so, 220 pound shifty fire hydrants !

The height “issue” is way overplayed at the RB position in today’s football. If you can run, you can run. Just makes Dee gain more ground with each stride. No issue.

Just because Hurd left UT doesn't mean he wasn't hard to bring down
Hurd leaving has nothing to do with my statement and I don't blame him for leaving but he was not a runner that was hard to bring down. I can't think of him really breaking that many tackles but it has been a few years

Reactions: vegasvolfan
But listed at 6'5"? That's such a tall running back! For all you old-timers, Grant Hill's dad, Calvin, played for the Cowboys at 6'4", but it's so rare to see a back over 6'2" now. Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Travis Henry were the torch bearers for the 5'9" or so, 220 pound shifty fire hydrants !
Yea I do appreciate a small shifty RB that will mow you over 😁. Pretty sure Eric Dickerson was fairly tall as well but yea 6'5' is especially rare.

He may not be 6-5. Most Bball players exaggerate their height by at least a inch. I remember when Barnes took over our BB 3 or 4 on our listed roster suddenly lost height. Barnes said they measure them and publish correct heighths. Dee was slated initially to play football& B-ball for UT. Not sure where that stands now.

Last edited:
Hurd leaving has nothing to do with my statement and I don't blame him for leaving but he was not a runner that was hard to bring down. I can't think of him really breaking that many tackles but it has been a few years

What I remember about Hurd is that he was hard to bring down. His line never opened holes and he would get hit in the backfield but he kept his legs moving and churned his way for a couple of yards that were all earned by him. I don't fault him for leaving. I think he fought really hard to get yardage for us when he was here. He was getting banged up too much and his future career was being impacted in a negative way. I appreciated him as a workhorse for us, though looking back we all see now that he should have been splitting time with AK.

Hurd seemed to lose his burst when he bulked up. I thought he was a better back as a freshman when he was lighter..

Edit: About Dee, IMO, not that he wouldn't be good on D, he can be much a more versatile weapon on offense. If he can catch, schematically you could line him up at three different positions. RB, TE and WR and create matchup problems for a defense..

Hurd has burst?

I could probably put together some highlights of Matt Sims to make him look like one of the best QBs to ever play at UT.

Yep, remember a guy and most of his highlights were against the lowest HS classification and he played for a larger 5A. He looked like man vs boys.
Ppl commenting, why is this guy not a 4 star.

I don't think he played FB until his JR year for starters....

Height is a number, but so is length of his legs, and distance between ground and shoulders which are much more important to ability to keep pad level low enough t be effective. The ability to line up and run out of the backfield or motion out to TE, HB, slot or WR could be a great asset... Mixing up one and two back sets should fit our schemes I would think.

BTW.. does anybody know what happened to his PWO brother? Don't show him on the roster and never heard anything.

VN Store

Back