Struggling Offensive Line?

I am not worried on OL. I trust Chaney to put together a serviceable OL this year. We will be mid SEC OL. I see 3 potential starters not even playing spring ball as well. I don’t think there has been a place where Chaney has a bad OL even when he didn’t have the best most highly recruited people.

His offense will do quick passes different run packages and not get into 7 step drops

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We will probably have 2 true freshman starting this year alongside an offensive line that already wasn't any good (outside of Trey Smith - Praying he gets healthy). It's going to be a long season.

Reactions: Catbone
I'm really not worried about the O-line that much. We have depth there now and I'm confident in our coaches.

Only things that worries me a little is just freshman mistakes if they do end up starting but it happens.

SIAP. This all goes back to that year Dooley didn't take a single Oline recruit. Losing those 5 - 6 players put us in a depth related shortfall that has hindered development every year going forward. Players having to play before their bodies are capable creating injuries that shorten or end their careers. Forcing the next guy in line to continue that problem. Butch didn't help it much by recruiting smaller lineman who couldn't handle the rigors, not having a true S&C program causing most to be incapable of playing in the SEC. Ultimately, the line will be better this year. Unfortunately, it will be next year before they will be up to the standards that are needed for the conference. Time to strengthen, mature, increase talent/size and most importantly for that to be spread throughout the depth chart. This year will be a big year developing all that experience, strength, and depth. I believe by the end of the season the Oline will be one of the better units for Tennessee.

JG definitely made his fair share of mistakes, but man, did he get hit from start to finish almost every game last year. Don’t think I saw a clean jersey once after each game! Can’t coach toughness! Go Vols!
I agree he was a very tough quarterback. But a lot of his issues were self-inflicted. If he had got rid of the ball faster he would have taken less hits. Some of that is the offensive line but some of that was on him. Being tough is a good quality but you have to be smart too.

Reactions: RamblenHamblin'19
SIAP. This all goes back to that year Dooley didn't take a single Oline recruit. Losing those 5 - 6 players put us in a depth related shortfall that has hindered development every year going forward. Players having to play before their bodies are capable creating injuries that shorten or end their careers. Forcing the next guy in line to continue that problem. Butch didn't help it much by recruiting smaller lineman who couldn't handle the rigors, not having a true S&C program causing most to be incapable of playing in the SEC. Ultimately, the line will be better this year. Unfortunately, it will be next year before they will be up to the standards that are needed for the conference. Time to strengthen, mature, increase talent/size and most importantly for that to be spread throughout the depth chart. This year will be a big year developing all that experience, strength, and depth. I believe by the end of the season the Oline will be one of the better units for Tennessee.

That was so bizarre.
Does anybody remember Dooleys reason for not recruiting linemen that year?

We will probably have 2 true freshman starting this year alongside an offensive line that already wasn't any good (outside of Trey Smith - Praying he gets healthy). It's going to be a long season.
Even if he comes back he won’t be the same. Taking blood thinners for a year affects your body. He definitely was not the same guy we saw his freshman year.

It'll be a good year if we don't have to hear how tough J.G. is all season long. And if we do, maybe they'll be refreshing our memories from last season.

I played college ball on the offensive line, so yes flute tooter, I know how things work. There is no way they shouldn’t know the best 5 by now, excluding the guys coming in.
So, if your expertise is so great, what team are you the offensive line coach, or better yet, what team are you offensive coordinator with? BTW, I play alto saxophone and will never be ashamed of it. I was on the field in the Superdome in '85....were you?

I played college ball on the offensive line, so yes flute tooter, I know how things work. There is no way they shouldn’t know the best 5 by now, excluding the guys coming in.
Ah the 30’s! Ever play Fordham? Those Seven Blocks of Granite with Vince Lombardi was an OL! 5’8” 180 lbs a man when MAN meant something!
tumblr_m0bfgoOSRg1qlapdpo5_250.gif

Reactions: davethevol

VN Store

Back