2 shooting guard - Michael Jordan
3 small forward - Scottie Pippen
4 power forward - Dennis Rodman
5 center- Bill Cartwright
6 spot up sharp shooter off bench - Steve Kerr

5 is in good shape with Karo and Jill
1 Jasmine for me. Some Walker depending how she's playing. Miles not every game
2 Give Horston the ball and get outta way
3 Tess is best outside shooter on team. If Jackson can mold into a Pippen, she would obviously help Horston
4 I think Sara is the only true forward on the team. Guess Marta goes here, but not a back to basket player.

Don't know what to do with Wynn or Franklin. Are they backups for the 2 spot?
Use Pissott some in December, but needs to mostly watch afterwards. If she heats up, might be our spot up shooter person. Too many holes in her game, but lots of potential. Nice height for an outside player.

Reactions: Bret178
I think the bulls comparison works better if Jackson can be MJ and Horston can be Pippen or maybe vice versa. Darby equals Kerr. Franklin's going to have to be Rodman.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We will be fine. She was in such a depleted state that we had pretty much been playing without the version of her you describe for much of the year anyway. Franklin, Hollingshead and Striplin will get more minutes. Puckett can also spend a bit more time in the post.

If it tightens up the rotation and brings the team together in the face of adversity we might even play better.

The place where we are most likely to notice the absence is against teams with big posts, and there aren't a lot of players that size.

But looking back on it, TK had one game where she seemed energetic and her old self, while in the rest of them she really struggled. It was a night and day difference. I guess that was the nature of her ailment. Anyway, it would be really nice to see the team come together and dedicate the rest of the season to Tamari. Her health is the only really important thing here.
Spot on imo ^^^^

I think Puckett is faster, stronger, shoots better, and commits fewer turnovers. But Suarez has more confidence and craftiness.
Suarez has confidence .....confidence about what .....it is certainly not shooting ,handling the ball ,basketball IQ,defense,screening .I admit she has confidence when she drives out of control like a bull in a china closet ,fumbles the ball out of bounds when has an uncontested layup or throw up a three ball that barely draws iron with the game on the line with less than minute to go.

I was encouraged by the play of the soph posts in the last game.....they were aggressive,had energy ,shot the ball well,played defense .If they can create some chemistry with a reduced rotation then there is some hope for the future this season.....that does not include Suarez....

Suarez has confidence .....confidence about what .....it is certainly not shooting ,handling the ball ,basketball IQ,defense,screening .I admit she has confidence when she drives out of control like a bull in a china closet ,fumbles the ball out of bounds when has an uncontested layup or throw up a three ball that barely draws iron with the game on the line with less than minute to go.

I was encouraged by the play of the soph posts in the last game.....they were aggressive,had energy ,shot the ball well,played defense .If they can create some chemistry with a reduced rotation then there is some hope for the future this season.....that does not include Suarez....
you act like she is horrible. She’s a little loose with the ball sometimes but she’s not a shabby ball player. Be for real

you really have it out for suarez. you’re always grilling her. she is young. she’s got talent and needs playing time. this is her first full year with us. give her time.

You can say it without being a hole about it. Plus when you go overboard about it like that, people are less likely to take your argument seriously.

She does a lot for the team even without shooting. Karo and Jill can handle the 5 spot. We just need to figure out the other four spots. Once we get to January, Horston can handle most of the 2 spot minutes.
Would be really surprised if Franklin does not now start and get up to 25 minutes per game at the 5, if Kellie feels her knee will let her. JF may not be the popular choice, but her experience, toughness, savvy, and leadership will be valued by Kellie. Hollingshead may be the choice with her size and ability, but I think she may end up playing a lot of minutes at the 4 in addition to the 5. Striplin will contribute and get minutes. IMO if Franklin continues to recover and regain mobility. she is the best option at the 5 if we are to make a run this year, as she has 6 games of NCAA tournament experience starting at the 5 (when she was more healthy of course). I think she will look completely different 2 or 3 months from now as she will then be a year post surgery in February.. But we will see. Wishing Tamari the best and hopefully she will be ok physically and in good spirits.

Last edited:
Not an exact lineup, but we are a bit similar to a mid-90's Chicago Bulls team:

Let's think about how we compare

1 point guard - BJ Armstrong
2 shooting guard - Michael Jordan
3 small forward - Scottie Pippen
4 power forward - Dennis Rodman
5 center- Bill Cartwright
6 spot up sharp shooter off bench - Steve Kerr

5 is in good shape with Karo and Jill
1 Jasmine for me. Some Walker depending how she's playing. Miles not every game
2 Give Horston the ball and get outta way
3 Tess is best outside shooter on team. If Jackson can mold into a Pippen, she would obviously help Horston
4 I think Sara is the only true forward on the team. Guess Marta goes here, but not a back to basket player.

Don't know what to do with Wynn or Franklin. Are they backups for the 2 spot?
Use Pissott some in December, but needs to mostly watch afterwards. If she heats up, might be our spot up shooter person. Too many holes in her game, but lots of potential. Nice height for an outside player.

Yep, when I squint really really hard, through a telescope covered in mud, I can definitely see Jordan's Bulls when I watch this team!

Reactions: Raebo
Suarez over Pucket?
We seem to be going by the eyeball test, which goes to Sara, I think in large part because we saw what she could do last year. Here are some comparisons for this year. Sara and Marta have played almost the same number of minutes, although Sara got 29 minutes in the Chattanooga game, compared to 14 for Marta, and in the VT game, Marta got 33 minutes and Sara 13, which means Marta’s numbers may have been against better competition. Anyway, to compare….

Minutes played: M-123, S-125

Field goal %. M-.341, S-.286

3 point %. M-.214, S-.238

Rebounds. M-32, S-26

Assists. M-5, S-8

Turnovers. M-18, S-6

Total points. M-47, S-32

They each block defenders to open the way for our player to make a layup. Sara’s shooting numbers are poor, and neither player is scoring 3 pointers well. Marta has a better field goal percentage, and more rebounds. Marta has more turnovers, but does make it to the basket to shoot, and we need scoring. She’s also tough on defense. Both Sara and Marta will get better, but it’s still undecided how many minutes they can play, especially since Franklin, Jillian, and Striplin will get minutes in Key’s place.

Last edited:
We seem to be going by the eyeball test, which goes to Sara, I think in large part because we saw what she could do last year. Here are some comparisons for this year. Sara and Marta have played almost the same number of minutes, although Sara got 29 minutes in the Chattanooga game, compared to 14 for Marta, and in the VT game, Marta got 33 minutes and Sara 13, which means Marta’s numbers may have been against better competition. Anyway, to compare….

Minutes played: M-123, S-125

Field goal %. M-.341, S-.286

3 point %. M-.214, S-.238

Rebounds. M-32, S-26

Assists. M-5, S-8

Turnovers. M-18, S-6

Total points. M-47, S-32

They each block defenders to open the way for our player to make a layup. Sara’s shooting numbers are poor, and neither player is scoring 3 pointers well. Marta has a better field goal percentage. Marta has more turnovers, but does make it to the basket to shoot, and we need scoring. She’s also tough on defense. Both Sara and Marta will get better, but it’s still undecided how many minutes they can play, especially since Franklin, Jillian, and Striplin will get minutes in Key’s place.
Analysis is good!

I think there is an upside to both, as we know Sara can play better than this year's stats suggest given her slow start and it is a reasonable expectation that Marta has a lot of room for improvement this year due to all of her rust from not playing for so long. I think all the role players were hindered early this year by not knowing how they fit in this new team with so many good role players. Now it is time for some to step up and show their stuff!

Last edited:
I’m not sure how much this matters, but just looking on Instagram, Rickea and Jordan Horston do not follow Tamari, and Tamari doesn’t follow either one of them.

TN should not focus on SC i think even with Jackson until that game. Right now i think the best lineup with Jackson: Powell,Horston,Jackson,Suárez,Hollingshead, Now without Jackson : Powell,Horston,Puckett,Suárez,Hollingshead,

Suarez shouldn't be in the lineup at all, IMO. She's not a team player.

My thoughts exactly.

Team was ranked 5th in the country beginning of season...now struggling at .500 with worst start in decades and people still defending Kelli...and these losses came when we were healthy. Major disappointment imo....and folks saying "wait til March when we turn it on." We might not even make it to the ncaa tourney. That's unacceptable imo.

With Tamari's medical situation and all the concerns associated with that, where does Kellie go from here with assembling the lineup? Tamari was a shot blocker extraordinaire. Opposing players both feared and respected her presence inside. Most opposing teams changed the way they played because of her. It was rare that Tamari was allowed to go one-on-one. She always had a couple of players hanging all over her. How does Kellie replace a player like Tamari?
The task falls on Jill, Jasmine, and Karoline to step up and do the job inside. They are three players I believe can do the job. I had my doubts about Karoline, but she is proving herself everytime she plays. I hope to see the Jackson situation resolved if she can play great we'll be glad to see her back if she is not returning then Sarah Puckett and the entire cast will have to do more offensively to help Jordan Horston in games.
I know everyone will give their best effort with the talent that they have and we'll have to be happy as fans with that whether it proves to be enough or not. Sometimes a big player loss like this makes everyone else on the team stronger let us hope that is what happens here.

Yep, when I squint really really hard, through a telescope covered in mud, I can definitely see Jordan's Bulls when I watch this team!

Well, it was unusual to have two like Jordan and Pippen on the same team. Then, the Bulls built around that was the various other roles required to have a solid team. But, Jordan and Pippen had to learn to share one basketball. In that case, Pippen become the number two scorer.

We are blessed to have two who are that good in Horston and Jackson. But, until they learn to share one basketball, it works against us. We almost just need to rotate them one for the other.

Since it was more recent, I thought people could relate to the Bulls reference.

But, way back in late 1970's, we had two similar talents on the Vols...Bernard King coupled with Ernie Grunfield. They had a point guard named Darden, and a surrounding case of rebounders, muscle, spot-up shooter, defensive ace, etc.

I need to go more research on Franklin. Sounds like she may be able to help muscle. We need a Rodman.

Last edited:
I think the bulls comparison works better if Jackson can be MJ and Horston can be Pippen or maybe vice versa. Darby equals Kerr. Franklin's going to have to be Rodman.

That is really the heart of the matter. The two have to share one basketball. Which is which?

VN Store

Back