Team back in Knoxville

I said I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist. Who exactly do you think I suggest paid the refs? How about you be clear?
",,,but I don’t think the NCAA had any intention of allowing the VOLS to go any further than they did in their Big Dance....All the fault of the NCAA and here you are denying that they paid the refs.

Reactions: Volwonder1
We can hang yet another "almost did it" banner. For the life of me, Ill NEVER understand why actually winning in this tournament is so hard for us. Bama in the FF? Really? We are simply cursed when it comes to winning NC's in anything. Softball, baseball, basketball, tennis... anything. No matter how much talent we have or how great our coaches may be. All of ours were used up by the LV's, I guess.
They used up theirs too.

But, beat Kentucky in Knoxville, win a couple of tournament games in Nashville and Tennessee is probably the one seed in the West, away from Purdue, Connecticut, Houston and the better teams from the ACC, but we lost to Kentucky, we were a no show in the SEC tournament and we ended up on the other side of the Midwest bracket from Purdue and the season ended first time we faced a higher seed.

We can spin the irrelevance of those late season and tournament games all day, but this year they would have been a path to an easier Region and simpler track to the Final Four.
Doesn't matter, you still have to beat the team in front of you. Shoulda, coulda, woulda isn't going to make a difference. On the bright side, of 64 teams we were one of 8 standing; think that's a pretty big accomplishment.

We can hang yet another "almost did it" banner. For the life of me, Ill NEVER understand why actually winning in this tournament is so hard for us. Bama in the FF? Really? We are simply cursed when it comes to winning NC's in anything. Softball, baseball, basketball, tennis... anything. No matter how much talent we have or how great our coaches may be. All of ours were used up by the LV's, I guess.
Bama had an easier path to the FF , IMO

UT bowed up against the NCAA in court and won. I’m somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, but I don’t think the NCAA had any intention of allowing the VOLS to go any further than they did in their Big Dance. Zach Edey is a hoss, but going to the line as many times as he did and only being called for 1 foul; he only sat out 33 seconds. I say NCAA had something to say about the outcome of this game.
The boogey man cometh. I guess they stopped our run too; had nothing to do with the other team going on their run by scoring. How did the NCAA exactly put the ball in Purdue's basket when they made their run? It wasn't fouls at that time.

",,,but I don’t think the NCAA had any intention of allowing the VOLS to go any further than they did in their Big Dance....All the fault of the NCAA and here you are denying that they paid the refs.
Only Bama pays the refs.

There is a tremendous amount that is uncontrollable, call it luck. The other part is just players making plays when they are in position to. Today we didn’t.

Reactions: VolTull
UT bowed up against the NCAA in court and won. I’m somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, but I don’t think the NCAA had any intention of allowing the VOLS to go any further than they did in their Big Dance. Zach Edey is a hoss, but going to the line as many times as he did and only being called for 1 foul; he only sat out 33 seconds. I say NCAA had something to say about the outcome of this game.

Knecht missed some shots down the stretch and ZZ was off in his shooting today. They in on the conspiracy too?

Reactions: Zues1 and VolCalls
Knecht missed some shots down the stretch and ZZ was off in his shooting today. They in on the conspiracy too?
I believe ZZ was spent a bit but still played his ass off. DK played lights out, but missed some that he normally does not. This team had a great season and for not one minute should hang their heads. As bad as we may be disappointed, it pales in comparison as to how they do alongside all the coaches. I’m proud of them and what pleasure they brought throughout the season which from my prospective was a fantastic run

I never said anything about paying the refs, there isn’t anything I am denying. What I am saying, and I am entitled to my own right to think , is that the Big Dance belongs to the NCAA and if they do not want UT ( who fought back against the last round of NCAA investigations) to go any further, they may have the ability to make it happen And they may have exercised their power to limit how far UT goes in their tournament.
Just sharing My thoughts, you’re certainly entitled to your own. We don’t have to agree.

I wish I could be there to show my appreciation for this team. I think this was unequivocally the best team Barnes has had at UT, and might be the best men’s bball team ever at UT. It sucks that it ended but it was a good game up until the last few minutes. The guys that came back, JJJ and Santi, were great leaders on and off the court. And the whole team all seemed to love and play hard for each other. Thanks for the memories guys.

It takes talent, coaching, confidence and luck always comes into play. Bama lucky enough to draw a 7th ranked Clemson in the the 4th round while we draw number 1 ranked Purdue. Our bracket held true to the seendings, theirs didn’t.
Look at Duke… easiest path to the FF on paper. Beat a 13, a 12, a #1 that lost by far its best player 13 minutes into the game and was up against an 11 that they were very familiar with. It takes skill and luck at times.

The boogey man cometh. I guess they stopped our run too; had nothing to do with the other team going on their run by scoring. How did the NCAA exactly put the ball in Purdue's basket when they made their run? It wasn't fouls at that time.
Chuck,
Purdue earned #1 seed. They played great,
I acknowledged Zach Edey is a hoss.
I happen to think he may have got away with more than the 1 foul called on him. You may trust the NCAA to be honest and 100% fair in the way they treat each school. That is your
Right to put so much faith in the NCAA. Not trying to sway you admiration of the NCAA. Just sharing my thoughts.

Reactions: Lurker
I never said anything about paying the refs, there isn’t anything I am denying. What I am saying, and I am entitled to my own right to think , is that the Big Dance belongs to the NCAA and if they do not want UT ( who fought back against the last round of NCAA investigations) to go any further, they may have the ability to make it happen And they may have exercised their power to limit how far UT goes in their tournament.
Just sharing My thoughts, you’re certainly entitled to your own. We don’t have to agree.
So did anyone pay the refs or not? Simple.

I wish I could be there to show my appreciation for this team. I think this was unequivocally the best team Barnes has had at UT, and might be the best men’s bball team ever at UT. It sucks that it ended but it was a good game up until the last few minutes. The guys that came back, JJJ and Santi, were great leaders on and off the court. And the whole team all seemed to love and play hard for each other. Thanks for the memories guys.

It was one of his best teams, no doubt. I wanted them to get it, so badly. For them, first and foremost, with how much they've been through.

Sadly, I'm not sure we're going to get another chance for a long, long time. Just feels wearisome to think about. No matter how the deck is stacked. Never seems to go our way.

It was one of his best teams, no doubt. I wanted them to get it, so badly. For them, first and foremost, with how much they've been through.

Sadly, I'm not sure we're going to get another chance for a long, long time. Just feels wearisome to think about.
It always feels like that after getting knocked out of the tournament. Rick Barnes and his staff always seem to put an exciting team together. With the transfer portal who knows? I know that everyone all over the country saw how they developed a kid from Northern Colorado into an NBA lottery pick in one season. That certainly has gotten the attention of any players that may be thinking about transferring. There are some good pieces to build around for next year. Things are looking up on Rocky Top.

It always feels like that after getting knocked out of the tournament. Rick Barnes and his staff always seem to put an exciting team together. With the transfer portal who knows? I know that everyone all over the country saw how they developed a kid from Northern Colorado into an NBA lottery pick in one season. That certainly has gotten the attention of any players that may be thinking about transferring. There are some good pieces to build around for next year. Things are looking up on Rocky Top.

Good perspective. I remember telling my wife after Grant and Admiral left that I will likely never see a basketball team as good as that one in Knoxville.

So did anyone pay the refs or not? Simple.
I think they get paid for each game they ref. I don’t think they do it for fun. I certainly am not saying that I think another school paid the refs to influence the outcome of the games. I wouldn’t put it past the NCAA to give instructions to call the game more favorable for one team. Has nothing to do with paying refs. I simply don’t think the NCAA was going to allow UT to advance any further than they did, it is the NCAA Tournament. Seems pretty simple to me, I never said anything about paying refs. You brought it up.
I’m not asking you to agree.

I think they get paid for each game they ref. I don’t think they do it for fun. I certainly am not saying that I think another school paid the refs to influence the outcome of the games. I wouldn’t put it past the NCAA to give instructions to call the game more favorable for one team. Has nothing to do with paying refs. I simply don’t think the NCAA was going to allow UT to advance any further than they did, it is the NCAA Tournament. Seems pretty simple to me, I never said anything about paying refs. You brought it up.
40 years of sports officiating says you're off-base. You brought it up.

In college BB it’s always very tenuous . . .

We could get lucky in the portal / recruiting and be a high seed again next year . . .

Or we could miss the tournament due to injuries / not picking up the right players.

It’s what makes this stretch with Coach Barnes so amazing . . .

But it will come to an end at some point.

VN Store

Back